Good laser for presentations?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's a good decently bright laser for presentations? Don't want any Chinese non certified lasers, etc. Thanks

rosskim1980

Newly Enlightened
As far as know, CNI can supply your such laser pointer or portable laser with FDA certification,but it comes from China. it is the manufacturer. For dragon lasers or wicked laser or laserglow, their lasers are ok, but they are the distributors.

Shreknow91

Enlightened
Any green laser under 5mw is good for presentations.

You cant buy direct form CNI, but you can buy from any of the distributors, or even go to your local radio shack, they might have the green lasers they were selling awhile back.

Any laser higher than 5mw is illegal to shine anywhere in public.

A good company to buy from is Nova Lasers (novalasers.com)

And lastly, good luck with what ever you purchase:thumbsup:

Shreknow91

Enlightened
Is the FDA regulation the same as the "class XXX" specs?

Yes and no, the FDA regulations are that any hand-held laser over the power of 5mw has to have a cover over the lense, a 3 second switch on delay, and a key switch type thingy.

The "class XXX" refers to the power of the laser, which i believe was either set by the FDA or was set by an international board or something like that.

ks_physicist

Newly Enlightened
I bought a 0.1 mW green laser and a 0.5 mW 635 nm (red/orange) laser from Abe at Atlasnova. Both are for use as pointers in my classroom, and both work very well.

If I was in a large lecture hall with material far from the audience, I might go with a 0.5 mW green, but even then it would probably be excessive.

flashaholic

Newly Enlightened
Laserpointer.com sells 5mw green lasers for $50 shipping from new york. Or you could by a red laser from office max for around 10 bucks

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Never heard of class xxx. Explain please
Laser power classifications are set by the CDRH (Center for Devices and Radiological Health), which (in some manner anyway) is connected to the FDA. The following classifications are of the "old style" ones, but are still valid.

Class I would be lasers that emit less than approximately 10µW (10 microwatts) where the operator or anybody else could have his or her eyes exposed to the radiation.
There is no limit on eye exposure for this class of laser.

Class II would be lasers that emit less than 1.00 mW of radiation accessible to anybody. The warning label for this class of laser would include the text "DO NOT VIEW BEAM DIRECTLY OR WITH OPTICAL INSTRUMENTS".

Class IIIa lasers would be those that emit less than 5mW - this is the upper limit for lasers sold in the US as "pointers".
The standard threshold for eye damage is stated as 250mS (¼ of a second)

Class IIIb lasers emit between 5mW and 499mW. These cannot legally be called "pointers", but must be called "modules" or some other name. Eye protection should also be used when working with a Class IIIb laser; eye damage can occur faster than the eye's aversion response (blink reflex) can protect them.

Class IV lasers are those outputting 500mW or greater. These lasers can be extremely dangerous; they will cause instant eye damage and can also cause skin damage and ignite flammable materials virtually instantaneously.

abeland1

Enlightened
I bought a 0.1 mW green laser and a 0.5 mW 635 nm (red/orange) laser from Abe at Atlasnova. Both are for use as pointers in my classroom, and both work very well.

If I was in a large lecture hall with material far from the audience, I might go with a 0.5 mW green, but even then it would probably be excessive.

I am glad that you are happy with your pointers but I must correct the power ratings mentioned. The green that you purchased is a <1mW class II with APC and is set at 0.85mW. The 635nm red is a <5mW measuring 4 to 4.5mW. I agree that the true 5mW green is overkill except in a very large area such as an aircraft hanger or museum.

Latest posts