Good light for a night nurse?

Wurkkos

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Anyhow, sorry for the long post. Thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated.

Would a Zebralight H502d be too big ?

It has a nice even beam, (no hotspot to fry the eyes of a poor unsuspecting patient), lots of light levels to choose between (I'm thinking the 0.34/2/10/20/40 lumen levels will cover most of your needs), can tailstand.

One of the problems is that the patient will have night adjusted eyes, so 10 lumens will seem quite bright to them, but your eyes are still adjusted for a brightly illuminated corridor, so 10 lumens may not be enough.

Another way to go might be to get a light with a very narrow beam (not much side spill), so you can see what you need to see, but it won't dazzle the patient's eyes. I'm going to suggest something quite different for you to try out - neck carry (necklace) a Photon Freedom Micro with a covert nose. This allows you to quickly choose exactly what level of illumination you want, it is always there when you need it, you can hold it in your teeth when you need to use both hands, it is very small, light weight and non-intimidating. Not the longest of battery life, but if you are using it on lower settings it will last quite a while. Give it a try, I think you may be pleasantly surprised.

outofgum

Newly Enlightened
Disclaimer: Sorry for the old thread revival.

Hey outofgum,

I'm an RN as well and I want to know how you're liking the Preon P0 so far. I don't have anything else to compare to in terms of output, but I would have thought that 0.5 OTF lumens is way to low to see anything unless you're within 1-2 feet of the patient/IV pole/etc. Do you use the low setting mostly, or the high, 25 lumen, setting when doing night checks?
I got a few lights (this wasn't for me) and the one most preferred was actually a Thrunite Ti, 3 lumen low with a chapstick cap diffuser. I don't remember which brand cap I used specifically but it cuts down the light by more than 50% bringing down the 2-3 lumens to around 1. The cap fits tightly, the light is small and had it been too bright, a minute with a sharpie could fix it. One big plus with the omnidirectional light is that she can hang it around her neck and have both hands free to check things or use her calculator. If more direct light is needed the cap can come off easily. A medium level would be nice, but you can't have everything. I also like that the Ti is voltage regulated, not PWM, so it's still going strong on the first eneloop. High level hasn't been needed in a patient room, but apparently it's useful on other nurses who are being annoying with their piddly (usually mag solitaire) lights. :naughty:

Edit: On brightness, I was suprised at how bright 3 lumens is. Turning off the lights in my room, my non adjusted eyes can navigate fine with 3 lumen. When fully night adjusted I can easily get around with ceiling bounce on 3 lumen and looking directly at the hotspot is uncomfortable. In 20 seconds your eyes can do a fair amount of adjusting, so 15-20 seems pretty high to me. I would recommend getting a couple of lights. Ones you don't like you can give to family/coworkers or keep around for emergencies.

Last edited:

Latest posts