Good old lantern, well...

dannyduke

Newly Enlightened
http://www.geocities.com/agepickle/germanlantern.jpg

' Ever seen this ? It's the German military lantern (not sure of era) I bought from surplus catalog about $30. Powers by 6 v battery or 4 D's with the holder. I really like its style, 1 end is flood and the other is diffused beam + the tough, heavy all steel case. Good craftmanship, built to last, however, yesterday technic reveals some inferiors.
The military lantern made for rough use but no water res. whatsoever (well,I can live with that). It comes with the screwed old round bulbs that 6 v power produces only a weak pale yellow beam + the flood end shows terrible patern of rings. I quickly replaced em with the kriptons to see the light intensity improved just a very little + the pointed tip krypton makes the rings even worse ! The light quality is way uncomparable to my other today cheap China made lantern (6 v as well)
Yeah, I tried the LED too: http://autolumination.com/flashlights/images/tripleled_screw.jpg
(http://autolumination.com/flashlights.htm)
The white beam is beyond pathetic as you guess, I think a single AAA LED luminesces much better than this. I've thought to try more different kind of LED bulbs: http://store.led-replacement.com/yhst-52165116567733/ls407.html or http://www.ledcorp.com/probulb2.html but it must be foolish for the bulbs cost more than the lantern and the improvement won't worth it. I believe it dues to the poor conductivity so the bulbs just can't get full power from battery (yeah, I checked thoroughly inside and see no rust or stained metal parts)
Any idea guys ? Or I just let this good old lantern stand on the mantel with the other antiques !/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

crashlander

Newly Enlightened
Hi Dannyduke,

I don´t know nothing about this lantern, but the flashlight used by the German military is this one (there are some slightly different patterns). It´s powered by two D-cells and doesen´t put out a lot of light, but who wonders /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
But it´s cheap (ca. EUR 15), quite reliable, has green and red filters (some have an extra lid to reduce light output) and can be attached to the jacket via two buttons on the jacket and a leather strap on the light.
I´ve never seen a light similar to Yours during my time in the German Air Force (and there´s no difference in this normal equipment between Army, Air Force and Navy).

56100.jpg

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Crashlander,

I bought an older version of that light at a gunshow. Mine is marked "Artas" on the front. It has the leather straps with button holes and a spare lamp in a holder inside. It is a pre-D-cell version and I haven't a clue what battery it is supposed to use. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Larry

crashlander

Newly Enlightened
Larry,

there are several versions of this light. I don´t know if it was issued to German armed forces before 1945, but it might be issued since 50 years. There is also an old, nearly similar model for German police units (I don´t think any cop here still uses it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ).
56112.gif

This flashlight uses 4,5 Volt flat batteries, not very common these days, but 20 years ago, they were quite common here.
60.jpg

And there is a Swedish military flashlight from the same type, also powered by one 4,5 Volt battery.
56113.gif

So You might need one of these flat batteries. They are still sold, just try google, I tried "4,5 Volt Flachbatterie".

crashlander

Newly Enlightened
Dannyduke, I just found an Internet shop which sells the lantern You own as a "Original Bundeswehr-Mehrzwecklampe, 6 Volt", so it seems to be an original issued light. But as I said, I never saw one in my time there. The shop raer.de only has a drawing, no picture, but it´s enough to recognize it.

56201a.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Thanks, crashlander! The battery you have pictured looks correct. I didn't have much luck with Google. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif (Maybe Bernhard will chase one down for me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Larry

crashlander

Newly Enlightened
I found this two shops selling the batteries (quite cheap, approx. US$1,50), and there are more. But it seems there are only shops in Europe, especially UK and Germany. Perhaps they ship to the states ?
conrad.com
westfalia

dannyduke

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your input Crashlander. Now my lantern is German mil. issue all right, however, it might be from East side of the wall /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif. I really like the way it looks though and wish I have enough skill, tools, things... to replace the conductive parts. Oh, I' ve been using 4 Ds so the holder might hinder some, perhaps I should by pass it by the big 6 v to see if it really gets any better, do you know where the cheap place to buy it ? Last thing: is there any HID 6v bulb available ?