Goodbye OLD CPF Friend From An Old CPF Friend! A Tribute To Greta And History Of A Great Forum!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Wow! I just happened to see this thread mentioned since it was posted on today. I have stayed away from any CPF forums other than the McGizmo forum for over well 10 years now and reading this thread I see I missed a whole bunch!! I had no idea that SF went the Mag route with law suits or that Sasha (Kelly) had sold the forum. Great to see some posts from people I can recognize from back when! When this forum changed and one could no longer modify an older post is when I really stopped paying attention; even just the occasional check in on the McGizmo forum. Be well all of you and hi to old friends and even those we found call to disagree with.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
One of the reasons I've stuck around so long is because of the overall atmosphere of civility here. I've seen some opinions that I don't agree with here, but it's not worth giving up on decorum for the sake of "winning" an argument. Life's too short for that.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the reasons I've stuck around so long is because of the overall atmosphere of civility here. I've seen some opinions that I don't agree with here, but it's not worth giving up on decorum for the sake of "winning" an argument. Life's too short for that.
+

Would you say there's been a change since no mods. on what people are getting away with?

People used to get banned for 30 days often, I did just for posting a 'hot link' couple times.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
My experience was that back in the day Sasha/Greta was way over sensitive on topics and discussions that she didn't agree with. The reason the board ran so civil, without controversy , is because she'd shutdown opposing opinion threads, replies and comments when it wasn't inline with her opinions.

It was her board, her rules, so you either dealt with it, got suspended or found somewhere else to participate.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Wow! I just happened to see this thread mentioned since it was posted on today. I have stayed away from any CPF forums other than the McGizmo forum for over well 10 years now and reading this thread I see I missed a whole bunch!! I had no idea that SF went the Mag route with law suits or that Sasha (Kelly) had sold the forum. Great to see some posts from people I can recognize from back when! When this forum changed and one could no longer modify an older post is when I really stopped paying attention; even just the occasional check in on the McGizmo forum. Be well all of you and hi to old friends and even those we found call to disagree with.

Hey Don. I'm glad to see you are still around. Maybe we can start a McG themed thread to banter about old times and old lights, or you can post a few pics in your Maui Time photo threads. I miss those days, when we would talk about using lights and what we loved about them, and our philosophies on design and aesthetics, and builders would actually hang out here and talk with us and take ideas back to the shop and build the stuff we thought was cool. Being part of the process and then holding the product was an awesome experience. Now it is just boring production lights.
I would love to grab some old McG tech but I don't even know where to buy old customs from the late 00s and early 10's anymore. I don't see them being sold here so I don't know where all the TB, Morelite, TNC, McG, Mac, etc. parts and lights are. Maybe they are just in boxes in basements or something. Maybe the old timers have passed and their kids threw their collections away. I don't know. That makes me sad. I wish I had had the funds to keep all the lights I had in the past, but some had to go to make room for new things. A nice clean aluminum PD would be pretty darn cool these days.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Don. I'm glad to see you are still around. Maybe we can start a McG themed thread to banter about old times and old lights, or you can post a few pics in your Maui Time photo threads. I miss those days, when we would talk about using lights and what we loved about them, and our philosophies on design and aesthetics, and builders would actually hang out here and talk with us and take ideas back to the shop and build the stuff we thought was cool. Being part of the process and then holding the product was an awesome experience. Now it is just boring production lights.
I would love to grab some old McG tech but I don't even know where to buy old customs from the late 00s and early 10's anymore. I don't see them being sold here so I don't know where all the TB, Morelite, TNC, McG, Mac, etc. parts and lights are. Maybe they are just in boxes in basements or something. Maybe the old timers have passed and their kids threw their collections away. I don't know. That makes me sad. I wish I had had the funds to keep all the lights I had in the past, but some had to go to make room for new things. A nice clean aluminum PD would be pretty darn cool these days.
The McGizmo thread used to be (still could be) the absolute highlight of CPF for me.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, today there is a tiny fraction of the number of posts per day there was 10+ years ago.
Definitely, CPF has slowed down vastly compared to when I initially discovered it and after viewing as a non member for a while, eventually joined.
I've had a recent return to CPF after a reasonable stint of being away due to a lack of general activity on the forum.
As stated above, more importantly, the lack of activity in my favourite threads.

Latest posts