Goodbye Palm OS?

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then what's the point of getting a Palm? The big draw for me was the OS, not the hardware. Many of the Pocket PC's have higher spec hardware, and actually Palm will have to bump theirs up just to run Windows. If this isn't just some one off device, then Palm is now nothing more than just another name of Pocket PC maker.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know a guy who has direct connection to palm. I will find out the news.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Unicorn said:
Then what's the point of getting a Palm?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've asked that for years.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

LowWorm

Enlightened
Good riddance - I've had five Palms over the past 3 years and must say that their customer service has gone from being passable to simply nasty. I know the hardware side split from the software side (and most of my gripes were hardware related), but still, even their software was so stagnant that third-party apps were the pda's only saving grace.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
4 years ago a friend of mine said "Eventually even our PDAs are going to run Windows"

*holding my Palm Vx* "You're crazy"

Fast forward to today... holding my 300Mhz PPC with Winamp. Wouldn't have it any other way, too.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I've had the Win CE based palmtops, and I've had Palm based PDAs. The palm units worked pretty consitantly, and open source sofware is plentiful. The wince units would occasionally crash, and third party apps frequently crashed as often as they ran.

I loved listening to the Verizon customer service person tell customers how to reboot their mobile PC based cell phone. His words: "It will freeze up. All the Microsoft ones do. You have to know how to reboot it."

I'd love a PDA/cell phone that could deliver on the promises made for the PPC. I woudl not buy it with Msoft inside.

Daniel