got a defective Benchmade 940 Osborne!

Lantern32

Enlightened
I'm completely breathless with this experience. I purchase a benchmade 940 Osborne. Upon receiving the knife, I stare at the blade for about five minutes... stunned! The blade was not cut straight like every 940 Osborne is cut, but it has a crooked cut! At the base of the blade, it comes out a little, and curves inwards, and then back outwards. The best way to describe the cut was convex. A concave cut would be like the spyderco paramilitary ii because of the excessive amount of belly on it. This knife had a reverse belly (convex cut). I went along thinking that the knife would be fixable when taking it to the sharpening stone, but then I realized another thing... If you look at where your knife blade attaches to your knife, you should see a little upside-down ramp to the blade. Well, judging by the material on that upside-down ramp, I realized that this knife had been sharpened a lot. Basically 75% of the life of my blade was sharpened away, probably by the factory in order to repair the sharpening mistake. I would understand if this was on a 50 dollar knife; however, this is present on a 200 dollar knife! I contacted benchmade, and I ended up returning the knife to Amazon because it took so long for them to reply. I will be buying a replacement 940 because it is the perfect knife for my needs, but I am quite disappointed with my experience.

Azparabellum

Newly Enlightened
Did you get a photo of the blade? Very odd that something like you describe could squeel by QC at Benchmade. Maybe the amazon vendor was selling some kind of factory seconds?

Z'ha'dum

Newly Enlightened
I'm surprised Benchmade didn't respond promptly. I've had nothing but excellent service from them.

Sounds like you got a used knife from Amazon. Doesn't sound like Benchmade is at fault in your case. Was it represented a new? At least Amazon will take it back.

If you're set on the Benchmade 940 then great. But maybe take the time to look around at some other models/companies. I had a 940 years ago but as I got more into collecting knives I found that they were many that I liked better.

Of course, like anything else, when the quality goes up so does the price.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a heads up, you might want to check the next one very close. Those aren't custom knives so I can't see anyone working that blade down to hide it. Unless the machine just totally gimped the cut and it passed QC.

Not saying mistakes can't happen, but something that far off makes me really question if it was a knock-off or not. Hopefully the next one you get is what you expect none the less, I know the feeling :/

Lantern32

Enlightened
Just a heads up, you might want to check the next one very close. Those aren't custom knives so I can't see anyone working that blade down to hide it. Unless the machine just totally gimped the cut and it passed QC.

Not saying mistakes can't happen, but something that far off makes me really question if it was a knock-off or not. Hopefully the next one you get is what you expect none the less, I know the feeling :/

Thanks for your reply! Got my replacement, and it is just perfect. I think the machining on the previous one just totally went nuts. Things can pass quality control, so I have no hard feelings towards benchmade.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dollars to donuts, this was the problem. They also have issues with people purchasing real knives and returning counterfeit ones. I highly doubt BM was to blame.

Yup! Been there. The product I ordered had been swapped with a counterfeit. Took me many emails to fix it. They thought I was lying at first. Then they were able to track the fact it was a return restock they shipped me.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I concur with those who suggest you received a fake. In all of my dealings with Benchmade they have been outstanding. May I suggest if you ever have reason to contact them again you give them a call? It is possible your email ended up in a spam folder or elsewhere(they really pride themselves on customer service and if you told them on the phone your experience try would be very aggressive in determining what happened). Sadly there seems to be a new breed of scam thief who orders items from Amazon or other well known online retailers, and then returns a fake while keeping the genuine item. If Amazon catches the swap, the scammer states "I only returned what you sent me", and in the interest of good customer service Amazon pays for it...

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
and in the interest of good customer service Amazon pays for it...

Yup, not to mention hobbyists and collectors are having a hard time distinguishing fakes they are getting so good.....now imagine your job is to process all sorts of returns from different manufacturers and are expected to do do a median average of X a day.....recipe for ripoffs.

I never use Amazon for knives or lights. When I do purchase something it's usually not worth making a fake of when you can make an easy $100 off a $10 fake production knife.....

If Im ordering an ANKER solar panel for example it's... $45.00 and excellent quality....due to the nature of the item, even China would be hard pressed to make something like that passable as authentic and still make a profit.