Got my Peak Logan QTC SS! Some thoughts.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
I did another runtime test with another RCR and this time I got 24 minutes runtime out of my [/B]#8 power level Logan.

That's more like what I'd expect! Did you check voltage afterwards? Maybe the protection circuit is kicking in early.

Bronze

Newly Enlightened
Peak Logan QTC keychain

Coming in the mail like a kid waiting for a new toy can't wait LOL

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Peak Logan QTC keychain

These look very interesting. I am particularly interested in the 17500 cell version in pocket style. The stainless version looks so nice, but I think I would preferr the HAIII aluminum version due to weight.

jonesy

Enlightened

Nice choice! I've been quite happy with mine.

Logan1_web.4360.jpg

Logan7_web.4374.jpg

crizyal

Enlightened
What I do find a little strange however, and slightly disappointing, is the behavior of the light with primaries, vs. RCR's. Anyone who watched JWRitchies video should remember how low the little Logan came on when the circuit is completed at first. Then a nice gradual ramping to high. Mine works exactly like that with RCR's, but if I stick a fresh primary in it, it doesn't have near the range in output levels. At it seems kinda opposite of what you'd think. With the higher voltage of the RCR's, my light will come on low enough to look right at the emitter with no problems. But with a primary, low is way too bright to even think of looking at the emitter. It ramps up to what looks like about the same high as with RCR's, but the real low just isn't there. With primaries, it's more like it comes on in a "medium" level, then ramps up. Soooo, I guess I'll keep it fed with RCR's, but I would have rather kept a primary in it. Anyone else with this light notice similar behavior, or is mine just a little funky?

I did have the exact same behavior with my new Logan QTC. I figured it was probably a contact issue, so I applied some Deox-It to all of the contact points and I was able to replicate the low setting in both chemistries. Hope this helps.

crizyal

Enlightened
I just noticed that some primaries have a recessed negative contact. This would cause the QTC to be compressed later. I have been able to remedy this by adding a thin magnet to the negative contact. With this setup I can achieve a very low low with the battery that is recessed.

74d3c94f.jpg

Bronze

Newly Enlightened

Ya the aluminum was the most practical choice for me being in my pocket at all times but do prefer the look of the ss Im going to look for a little cover I can slip over the lens to keep it from getting all scratched up while in my pocket I'll be looking at other peak lights they seem to be built very well.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast

Two questions:

I really like the idea of this QTC stuff, but I've heard that the rate the brightness changes isn't very smooth, can anyone who has one attest to that?

Also, I'm just really confused by the website. I'd like to research what all their options mean, see specs, etc. I did research and in an old thread someone mentioned the path to some "hidden" files on their server, but most of that data is now outdated. Anyone know where to find specs on their lights?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

I'm curious about how low does it go. Just a ballpark estimate will be fine. Thanks.

Geoff

mrlysle

Enlightened

Two questions:

I really like the idea of this QTC stuff, but I've heard that the rate the brightness changes isn't very smooth, can anyone who has one attest to that?

Also, I'm just really confused by the website. I'd like to research what all their options mean, see specs, etc. I did research and in an old thread someone mentioned the path to some "hidden" files on their server, but most of that data is now outdated. Anyone know where to find specs on their lights?
Hi Bigmac 79. Unless you twist the head very quickly, there can be some minor flickering, either direction, ramping up, or ramping down. You're right about the specs. They can be tough to find. One thing nice though, when you get on the RMSK website, you can live chat with someone and ask any questions you want. I've chatted with Bob twice now. I'm sure they can answer any questions you have. Get one of Peaks QTC lights. You won't be sorry, I'm sure! :)

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Bigmac 79. Unless you twist the head very quickly, there can be some minor flickering, either direction, ramping up, or ramping down. You're right about the specs. They can be tough to find. One thing nice though, when you get on the RMSK website, you can live chat with someone and ask any questions you want. I've chatted with Bob twice now. I'm sure they can answer any questions you have. Get one of Peaks QTC lights. You won't be sorry, I'm sure! :)

+1 Bob (RMSK) is very helpful and with the online chat feature you pretty much get your questions answered instantly. The thing with QTC and Peak lights is you need to understand the level of simplicity that these are built to. If you want perfect even smooth ramping go with something electronic. If you want something that will outlive the cockroaches after a nuclear holocaust even if the QTC goes belly up then you'll be happy with Peak. What I like about Peak is they just work, no gimmicks, no crazy UI, no weird electronics. IMO it's a little archaic sure but kind of refreshing as well.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice!

Bronze, be sure to let us know what you think of the light when it arrives. I'd especially like your opinion on the transition smoothness.

netprince

Enlightened
Just got my Logan QTC today. It took a little getting used to how the QTC works. After some tweaks and some practice, I'm getting the hang of it. Its got an impressive low if your patient enough to dial it in...

The peak logan is on the left (as low as I have gotten so far), the quark AA (on moonlight) is on the right. (the quark is a neutral, as you can see)

IMG_5218.JPG

IMG_5215.JPG

Thats a LOW output.

The trick for the QTC seems to be get it as low as you can, then wait 30-60 seconds and then it will go lower. Repeat until you cant really turn the head fine enough to keep it from turning off.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_tunnelling_composite

So, if these Peaks are using the same technology... Then basically these new lights have a layer of this composite that is compressed by the battery as they are tightned/loosened, thus varying the current flow from 0-direct drive? Is that what I'm getting from this?

-----
In an unrelated note, it appears that a CPF member has an account to edit Wikipedia.

crizyal

Enlightened
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_tunnelling_composite

So, if these Peaks are using the same technology... Then basically these new lights have a layer of this composite that is compressed by the battery as they are tightned/loosened, thus varying the current flow from 0-direct drive? Is that what I'm getting from this?

Yep! This Logan has fast become my favorite light. Going out to a music festival tonight and my HDS Clicky is benched for the night. It will still make it's way into rotation. The Logan just feels so robust. I know that I don't need to worry if the clicker is going to work (there is none), and it is much more pocketable. This is not to say that I worry about my Clicky, I did have some trouble with my HDS Rotary and sent it back for a refund after one attempt at a repair by HDS.

Last edited:

mrlysle

Enlightened

+1 Bob (RMSK) is very helpful and with the online chat feature you pretty much get your questions answered instantly. The thing with QTC and Peak lights is you need to understand the level of simplicity that these are built to. If you want perfect even smooth ramping go with something electronic. If you want something that will outlive the cockroaches after a nuclear holocaust even if the QTC goes belly up then you'll be happy with Peak. What I like about Peak is they just work, no gimmicks, no crazy UI, no weird electronics. IMO it's a little archaic sure but kind of refreshing as well.

JWRitchie76, you're absolutely correct! The more I use mine, the better I like it. For those following this thread and noticed my original comment about different behavior wit different cells, note that I talked with Bob at RMSK, and he told me that it's probably cell length that causes the difference, but voltage does nothing in the equation. After looking at some different cells I have, and playing with my Logan a bit, I CAN get a really low output with primaries, just like with the RCR's. And cell length DOES make a difference. And this goes along with crizyal's experiments with a magnet. Thanks crizyal, for the heads up. I have De-Oxit but haven't gotten to my Logan yet. I usually clean and apply it to all my new lights, but will definitely see if it helps the little Logan!

Bronze

Newly Enlightened

To my fellow flashaholics i recieved my aluminum peak logan QTC keychain light today i began testing for run times using new ultrafire 880 mah 3.6 v Li-ion with my first test 3 minutes into the run i put a small fan on the light for cooling the light ran on high for 14 minutes and began blinking at 4 sec intervals i picked it up and it wasent evin hot i then turned it off and installed the other new fully charged ultrafire bat and ran it on high to see what would happen at 9 minutes i touched the head and it was very hot 2 minutes later i picked up the light and was shocked at how hot the entire body was for a nano second i thought it might burn my fingers LOL i then emediatly turned it off and began holding it directly in front of a large fan i then removed the bat and began to cool that allso directions say NOT for children for a reason right LOL with this testing im still impressed with this lights lumin cap for its size frome now on its short bursts for me vince out long live Bushmaster firearms M4 HaHa.

Latest posts