Got my Ra Clicky today - whoop-de-doo!!

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
glad to hear a non rave rewiew of popular light too.

makes it more realistic sounding flashlight instantly when someone just do not like it that much! hah

i do think it is just one of those lights you need to get used to.

test it, try it and re test.

like D10 was/is to me.. it is still new to me and i keep playing with it constantly not knowing yet do i really like it or not. the PD switch action and feedback seems umm "vague" on my sample and the ramping up is too fast for my liking. (i like the iTPs steady pace better)

but Ra has my attention because of the programmability and the ruggedness i have been reading about. (things tend to take punishment in my use)

ps im backup for the 79$ offer! hahahh

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
If you expect anything like this when you drop over $100 don't even bother buying any McGizmos. :(

It sounds like you had a bad first impression of the Clicky but it seems like it grows on a lot of people. I am glad that despite your poor first impressions you are giving it a shot anyway.

The Clicky works differently from many of the multimode based lights you are used to. I don't recall specifics but it generally likes patterns that seem like Morse code. There's probably a user guide online but I'll just spew out a few ideas for you to get started:

click-click-hold
click-hold
click-click-click-hold
hold

Thanks, yeah, I am going to give it a shot for sure, may end up likeing
it if I can figure out the UI!!

I tryed the "Morse code" thing, click-click-hold, and it didnt work.

Do you have to do it like really fast or some sort of even rhythm?

AvidHiker

Enlightened
I'd like to add a few things. I don't own a Ra, but I do own quite a few "high end" lights.

1 - What need do you have for a spare o-ring? Honestly, I have never had the need to replace an o-ring on a non-twisty light. They see much less wear than on a twisty (battery removal only). A properly chosen o-ring should last for the life of the light, if you need a replacement I suspect they would send one to you no problem.
As someone already mentioned, many other high end manufacturers don't include spare o-rings, and my feeling is that the ones that do are doing so because the material may be of lesser quality (either that or it's simply a gimmick, IMO - something to set them apart from the other companies).

2 - What's the problem with the threads being a little rough? Once again, this is not a twisty, so this (IMO) is a minor annoyance which should smooth itself out with use.

3 - Personally, I can't stand useless extras like boxes (which just end up in my garbage). It's very obvious to me just by looking at their website - this light is meant to be used and abused, clearly it was not designed as a collectors item and I don't see what why one would expect it to be sold as such.

As for the clip, point taken. Maybe that slipped by QC, but sounds like something that is easily remedied by the user anyway. But I agree that, considering the price, the clip should be good to go (once again, they may replace that clip at your request). Also, grease is rarely supplied with a light - I don't know anyone on CPF who doesn't have their own preferred grease at home anyway.

Just some thoughts, not an attack. This light is something that screams tool to me whenever I see it; so if it gets the job done, and does so more reliably than the competition, then IMO it's a good buy.

Lithium Juice

Newly Enlightened
PsychoBunny,

from off:
click-press-hold = high
click = med low

from on:
click-click = med high
click-click-click = low

These are some of the levels on your light, here is the PDF manual from the manufacturer's site.

Danny

bigfoot

Enlightened
Another thanks for posting your honest opinion PsychoBunny, even at the risk of starting an all-out flame fest.

For me the $99 EDC Executive is a heck of a deal. I wanted something that was tough, regulated, affordable, made in the USA, and ran on a single cell. That didn't leave a lot of options. I did have to sent my light back to Henry briefly for some low-level flickering, but other than that I have zero complaints. This light does what it was supposed to do and does it very well.

If you aren't happy with the fit and finish my suggestion is to contact Henry / Ra Lights. But if you aren't going to keep it I'm sure someone here will be happy to take it off your hands for $79. :naughty:

zenas

Newly Enlightened
PsychoBunny, I can understand everything you wrote in your first post. I had posted some pictures of my "imperfect" Clicky (of the first batch) - but it seems like they are not longer linked in the Ra Twisty & Clicky Information Repository - because they are not of common interest anymore?! :duh2: Anyway, here is my comment:

When I first received my (old) Ra-140-Cgt I was NOT impressed at all. Ok, the feeling of the Clicky in my hands was really strong and sturdy, but the finish wasn't what I expected from a 190$ flashlight. My light had some bugs (low level flickering, etc...), too and I had to send it back to Henry for repair - although it was brand new! Nevertheless, Henry took care of my light and it's much better now.
But my first thoughts (and the "bad" feeling about paying that much money on a "not-at-all" perfect light) went away as soon as my light was on it's way back to Henry. I missed my Clicky, because it is a great light. The UI and all the options as well as the strength made it the perfect light for me - even with optical issues! It's in my pocket 24/7 :)

If you don't like your Clicky and use other lights for EDC - then sell it. You can try to test your Clicky for a few days to feel "the real love" - but if you don't feel so, just sell it!

And one additional comment: Read the manual ;) It really helps... It takes some time, but it REALLY HELPS!

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
PsychoBunny, I can understand everything you wrote in your first post. I had posted some pictures of my "imperfect" Clicky (of the first batch) - but it seems like they are not longer linked in the Ra Twisty & Clicky Information Repository - because they are not of common interest anymore?! :duh2: Anyway, here is my comment:

When I first received my (old) Ra-140-Cgt I was NOT impressed at all. Ok, the feeling of the Clicky in my hands was really strong and sturdy, but the finish wasn't what I expected from a 190$ flashlight. My light had some bugs (low level flickering, etc...), too and I had to send it back to Henry for repair - although it was brand new! Nevertheless, Henry took care of my light and it's much better now.
But my first thoughts (and the "bad" feeling about paying that much money on a "not-at-all" perfect light) went away as soon as my light was on it's way back to Henry. I missed my Clicky, because it is a great light. The UI and all the options as well as the strength made it the perfect light for me - even with optical issues! It's in my pocket 24/7 :)

If you don't like your Clicky and use other lights for EDC - then sell it. You can try to test your Clicky for a few days to feel "the real love" - but if you don't feel so, just sell it!

And one additional comment: Read the manual ;) It really helps... It takes some time, but it REALLY HELPS!

If I can get it to work, I think I will like this light over time.

It just doesnt have the machine finish I expected from a $150.00 light
esp. considering my Fenix is much cheaper and the finish is better.

Oh yeah, I have another nit-pick, no hole to put a lanyard!! :confused:

I dont like the belt clip.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nor did my 2 Surefires come with an extra O-ring. Again, this could be that I selectively remember not having them..or lost them.

You probably remember right. Neither of my Surefire's came with spare o-rings, and I don't like Surefire packaging at all. It's not a problem though, as a presentation box for a Surefire is as useful to me as a chocolate teapot, and I never remember which o-ring was for which flashlight. :sigh:

A burred clip would annoy me though. I'd have got over it, but it's a valid complaint. I have to admit burred threads would annoy me too given the price, even if they didn't cause a problem. The quality of the threads seems to make a big impression, psychological or not.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, its refreshing to read someone's honest opinion. I often learn more from criticisms about a product than praise. Thanks for that.

Critical reviews are everything, when I research any product I look for negative feed back to see how good it is, everything has faults, it's only when you can see the consistency of these faults and their impact on performance can one build a better picture of what a product will be like:thumbsup:.

BRO

Newly Enlightened
It's all "horses for courses"! I don't have a TK-11, but I do have the LF3XT and the RA Clicky. My RA Clicky goes where ever I go at all times.

Not saying anything bad about my LF3, it is a wonderful light in it's own right. But it is to slow for my night stand in case of an intruder. So my RA performs that duty as well.

Give it some time and if you stll don't like it; just sell it. I'm sure it is not the first item you have purchased that you did not want to keep. It has happen to all of us. My Sig 229 from mag one I did not like. Does not mean the Sig 229 is a bad weapon, it just means it is not for me. Good luck...

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I kinda liked the twisty over the clicky. Cheaper and gotta think it would be more bomb proof. However seemd out of stock. Well broke anyways so...:mecry:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I got my Clicky, feeling were about the same : Why did I spend 189$ for a light with a rough finish that comes in a plstic bag and is very complicated to program?

The love came a little bit later, when it was programmed as I wanted it to be, when I got used to the different clicks and when I appreciated the great design and the toughness of the light.

The Clicky has become my absolute favorite!!! :cool: I don't use the clip, the light goes in a trousers pocket and is safe in there.

It needn't be love at first sight... :eek:

callmaster

Enlightened
The Fenix might have a better finishing at first, but it's not as durable as the Ra Clicky. In fact, you can drop it out of your apartment window, roll over it a few times (accidentally), throw it against concrete several hundred times and it'll still work. I'm a calamity, and that's what the Ra Light was bought for.

With it's amazing UI, tough build, amazing runtimes, there's nothing out there better right now.

I'd like to see the Fenix last that way. Hence it being that much cheaper.

I loved the Clicky before I even got it. But that's because I had Novatacs and I have a few HDS lights so I know how great the lights are. With Henry, you don't really get 2nd grade stuff. Unless it gets through QC somehow, and if that happens. Get it back to him (might be annoying at first) having to send back a light of that price but I don't see a problem with that.

But everyone has a right to an opinion, so if you don't like it. There are hundreds here that'll buy it off you on the marketplace for a decent price! Hell, put it up and I might consider it. I already have 3, but I see no reason not to get another Clicky.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not for everyone, no light is. This is a learning curve all of us CPF's go through.

The other day I would of put money down that PB wouldn't like the Ra when he got it because he obviously didn't "get it". I applaud his ability to jump in head first though!

From the "Raw Clicky" thread:
...I dont even know who the manufacturer is! :rolleyes:

CPF is very good for these two things:
1) Research
2) Market place

Use more of the first and you can do less of the second.
:poke: