Got the cheap incan thing goin on, anyone else?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine had a krypton 4.8V .5A bulb. Perhaps they varied. I wouldn't say mine threw that far; but it did pretty well. I just find that 95% of the time, I'm using or aiming my light within 20 feet, so I much prefer what I call a "directed flood" beam.

exp3riment

Newly Enlightened
Got my 6 Dcell Maglight, dont use it often, but i like to keep it in the jeep!! makes for a good conversation peice, cuz nobody carries them, plus it just looks cool!!

nighttrails

Newly Enlightened
A 6D Maglite is an impressive looking light. Mine started as a cheap incan, but with the addition of rechargeable batteries, an FM Throwmaster head, AW 3 level driver and various overdriven bulbs, it long ago lost the "cheap thing going on" designation. Now it's awesome and does get used a lot. It's nice to be able to start with a cheap light and make upgrades as needed, and finances allow. Of course, it could always be returned to its cheap, stock form if desired. On the other hand, cheap is relative, and my customized mag is still cheaper than a Surefire M6 or other top end lights. Cheaper is only better if your needs are met.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
So it looks like I'm the only one that still has the cheap incan thing going on. That's OK. I got started in this flashlight thing about a decade toolate so I'm just gaining a little experience.

In the past couple weeks I went out and bought a Princeton Tec 40 along with about $50 worth of bulbs to try in different configurations. Got the PT 40 so I had another 4AA light to compare to my old Craftsman. It's a nice light and there are tons of old threads about it so I've done a lot of reading. And while it's a different type of light than my Craftsman, I still love the 4AA Craftsman the most.

Man, for such a small light, this thing is a real thrower. Had it out last night using 4 freshly charged NiZn cells along with a 4 cell Magnum Star (the xenon one) Maglight bulb and it throws 200 yard easily. Actually, even with 4 NiMH and a 3 cell Xenon it does this distance it's just that with the NiZN/4 cell the beam is just so bright. And it's not a pencil beam, it's a thick barrel of light. Pretty interesting for someone just getting started. I'd like to see this beam cleaned up with Phaserburn's diffusion paper. It appears like the lens is attached to the reflector in some way (glued?). Does anyone know if it's possible to seperate these so i could get at the reflector?

Phaserburn, could you tell me if the Dorcy Boss you bought was new? If so, where did you buy it and how do you like it? Have you done anything to it? Also, could anyone tell me if it's possible to buy a ROP lo bulb separately? I can find them but only in pairs. Finally, I'm looking for a few KPR139 bulbs. Anyone have a few laying around they would like to part with?

Don't neglect the Princeton Tec Torrent - I got mine for $12 on eBay; someone got it in a box of car parts, and had no use for it, and resolved to make sure it was put in the hands of someone who needed it. I've seen lots of other ones go for under $20 used. It uses two banks of four alkaline or NiMH AAs to minimize voltage sag, and in my experience, it's a lot like an alkaline 9P with a bit more throw and a lot more waterproof.

ROP-lo bulbs are only sold, officially, as part of the low/high set. I'd offer you one of my spares, but I've lost them. :confused: