Got Up This Evening, Got Myself a MRV

Confederate

Enlightened
This is one nice light. I got it from DX and was amazed by the output of this light. I put two rechargable 123s in it, but I can't seem to bump it into the lower light mode. I subsequently learned that there's not a whole lot of visible difference between the two, but I can't even get the "click" that's supposed to shift from one power level to the next.

Also, is there anywhere one can get a PDF manual for this thing?

John

Patriot

Flashaholic
This is one nice light. I got it from DX and was amazed by the output of this light. I put two rechargable 123s in it, but I can't seem to bump it into the lower light mode. I subsequently learned that there's not a whole lot of visible difference between the two, but I can't even get the "click" that's supposed to shift from one power level to the next.

Also, is there anywhere one can get a PDF manual for this thing?

John

They're nice lights John. The difference between hi and low is very small. The "click" that you're looking for is very subtle. When you unscrew the battery tube from the light engine it will switch to low. When the body is screwed all the way in it will switch to high. If you completely unscrew the battery tube from the light engine you'll see the little push button resistor switch up inside of the light engine. You may be able to push it in with you pinky finger or use a pen to push it. You should be able to feel a clicking sensation with you finger or with the pen. This will help you to determine if the switch is moving or not. Honestly I don't use low and would only use it if I was forced to conserve my battery. I just keep the body screwed in tightly to the light engine.

Lumapower's support page is under construction, but here is the link anyhow. It shows you how to replace the switch. http://www.lumapower.com/support.html

Enjoy your light.

Last edited:

Confederate

Enlightened
Thanks for the response.

Please help, if you will, with the nomanclature. By "light engine," are you talking about the silver twisting section (LED Module)? Below that is the battery tube. Am I to twist the LED Module or am I to twist the battery tube?

Two other thins I'm unclear on are 1) another push button switch is included with the package; what is that for? And 2) the orange peel reflector. What does that do? I assume it's to break up the light for closer in work. It's amazing how that thing throws an almost perfect spot.

I really like the light. Very nice quality. I put in the glow-in-the-dark tailcap, but am keeping the tactical switch. I wish it had been a two-stage switch, but hey, one can't have everything.

Thanks again!

John

zpaulg

Newly Enlightened
One switch you have to press and hold.....tactical.

The other just clicks on/off like a normal switch...no need to hold.

Orange peel should increase the flood.

Confederate

Enlightened
Thanks for the post. No, this isn't a tail switch. It looks more like the resistor switch, but is it a spare? It's got a tiny switch and a small green circuitry board. No manual, though.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's an extra clicky switch(the innards), I'm not sure if it's a single stage or a two stage(you would have to try it). Lumapower makes both a 1 stage and a 2 stage reverse clicky. To adjust brightness you hold the light engine(shiny part) and tighten the battery tube to get high, and loosen the battery tube to get low. You will hear a very faint click as it switches to low. I think you will enjoy your light, I know I do. Here is a link to a MRV review with lots of information: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/164966

Last edited:

Confederate

Enlightened
...you hold the light engine (shiny part) and tighten the battery tube to get high....
Well, I did it but I didn't get high, I...oh, you mean the light! Anyway, thank you for the link. I think I'm going to leave it as it is until I get a feel for it. BTW, what's your preference for the reflector? Shiny or orange peel? Also, someone said they got a 6-stage drop in module for this. I've tried to find such a thing on Google, but can't. Do you know where to get these mods?

Walt175

Enlightened
I thought that I read that the MRV's from DX were only single stage, They don't have the switch in the body like the Lumapower ones do.

Confederate

Enlightened
Nope, it's two stage. And it's made by LumaPower. It's the Special Edition that comes with the optionals. Great deal, too.

bspofford

Enlightened
If you got the MRV kit with a holster, OP reflector, and an extra switch, it is a two-stage switch that goes low/hi/off. Just swap the switch in the clicky before exchanging it for the momentary switch. I like it better than the body twist mode selector because the low is much lower and more useful.

Scattergun

Enlightened
Yup, the 69 dollar deal on MRV with all the extras are not selectorring-equipped MRV´s, but a single stage light with an extra klicky. The more expensive ones from DX are however sent with a selectorring-switch.

Confederate

Enlightened
There appears to be a switch I don't know anything about that's floating around in the package. What I'd like to do is get a mult-mode switch if anyone knows where to get them. Anyway, the specs on the DX website say the $69 model is a 2-stage. I also have two extra clickies in my box. I have no idea what difference is. I've put one of them in the light and it just turns the light on and off, so I switched back. The other is just a switch mounted on a round circuit board.

If mine is a single stage, where is this documented? And what's the story with this edition? Is it legit?

sku_4254_2_small.jpg
sku_4254_4_small.jpg

This is the switch (two angles) that I know nothing about. One modular
switch screws directly into the tail cap, but this one comes as shown.
Anyone know what it is?

Last edited:

bspofford

Enlightened
There appears to be a switch I don't know anything about that's floating around in the package. What I'd like to do is get a mult-mode switch if anyone knows where to get them. Anyway, the specs on the DX website say the $69 model is a 2-stage. I also have two extra clickies in my box. I have no idea what difference is. I've put one of them in the light and it just turns the light on and off, so I switched back. The other is just a switch mounted on a round circuit board.

If mine is a single stage, where is this documented? And what's the story with this edition? Is it legit?

sku_4254_2_small.jpg
sku_4254_4_small.jpg

This is the switch (two angles) that I know nothing about. One modular
switch screws directly into the tail cap, but this one comes as shown.
Anyone know what it is?

The switch should have a tiny alphanumeric part ID on the green face. If it ends in 02, it is the on/off switch. If it ends in 18, it is the low/hi/off switch that you want. You need to unthread the retaining ring on the aluminum switch housing, pull the black plastic insulator and one-mode switch (strong pull), insert the two-mode switch (strong push) and black plastic insulator, then thread the retaining ring back. Rap the tail cap on the palm of your hand to get the momentary switch to fall out then unthread the black plastic retaining ring holding the silicone cover in place. Thread the aluminum switch housing tightly against the silicone cover (I prefer the GITD) and enjoy the two-stage switch. BTW, the low on this model is much lower than the body twist.

Confederate

Enlightened
Thank you. I'll check it out.

I assume that the statement that DX's version is one stage is incorrect?

bspofford

Enlightened
Both DX versions of the MRV are two-stage. The black type II models are usually hi (100%) and low (60%) actuated by twisting a gunmetal ring on the body. The dark gray-brown HAIII models that usually come with the kit have a two-stage clicky, but you have to insert the switch. The chrome body ring does nothing on this model. The advantage with the two-stage clicky is that the low is noticeably lower, and I would estimate it at 25% of hi.

Latest posts