Grip Tape ideas needed for Jil Intelli...

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I got one of these little lights and the sucker is bright. I'm very pleased with it.

It's so small that I can't grip the bezel too easily since the part my fingers reach is a smooth finish. I think a little checkering would be a big design improvement.

Has anyone come up with an adhesive backed grip tape solution that can be easily purchased / applied and removed when needed?

Thanks in advance.
Dave

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can I get some specs on this light please?

-David

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
Hi Cheapo, the Jil isn't cheap. It's about $110. Here's the thread that probably has the most info. Although the thread is closed you can still buy them from the same dealer on another thread.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=97559

I'm really not sure where this light will fit in for me in the long term. It's too big for my keychain and too small for my belt. I'm finding I like belt carry for quick access. The Jil Intelli has so many levels that it's easy to get off your setting. It's well made, cool and impressive, but not simple enough to give to my wife or a friend.

jil2.JPG

jil1.JPG

Here's my friction solution. This was a spare piece of rubber that came with some bike part. It works great. I found the rubber was needed on the bottom also grip. The additional girth also helps.

Mahalo,
DF

Arkayne

Enlightened
edit: the first response says it all!

When I work on my cars I find it hard to hold on to sockets and extensions when they become greasy. You get tired of fishing for sockets that fall underneath the car or into the oil drain pan. :) What I did was wrap my socket extensions and mostly used sockets with skateboard grip-tape. The adhesive is inredibly strong and as long as you prep the surface you are adhering it to with alcohol, it'll never come off!

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Super Dave said:
Hi Cheapo, the Jil isn't cheap. It's about $110.

Whats that supposed to mean? Also, how would it compare to Amilite in terms of throw? By the way, nice pics, but where is the rest of it? :)

-David

Bob_G

Enlightened
I don't know how many body variations there are, but on my 1.3 UP. the 3 grooves make a perfect home for 015 0-rings. They really help for me.

jil-008.jpg

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
small yes... but is it bright? regulated? And I think i read somewhere that it had 2 stages... correct?

-David

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
Those rubber o-rings are a cool idea.

Cheapo, sorry I don't have one of those Aimlights so I can't really compare it. I think the Jil is more of a flood light than a throw light. Maybe it has a good mix of both. But, my take is that it has very good flood and decent throw. Of the 3 Jil's I'm aware of, the Intelli is the brightest since it can use the rechargeable batteries. I'm pretty new at this so I could be wrong on some of my points.

I'm not sure if the Intelli is regulated. The Jil in Bob's post is a little longer and is regulated. The Intelli has Goldserve's Flupic thingy that is pretty amazing. It has 5 different preset modes. Several of the modes include a strobe and SOS. You can also set two settings to what ever light level you want from low to high with about 20 choices in brighness levels. Then it has a max brighness setting that is bright.

I showed it to my wife tonight and she said "oh, the smallest one yet" and agreed that it was bright.

Hope this helps a little. It's a cool light. Once I figure out the best method of carry it may be my EDC for a while. It certainly disappears in my pocket unlike the Fenix.

Aloha,
DF

FirstDsent

Enlightened
I'm really not sure where this light will fit in for me in the long term. It's too big for my keychain and too small for my belt. I'm finding I like belt carry for quick access.
Super Dave,
I'm scared to death to lose my Amilite Neo T3. I climb and crawl around on scaffolding all day long, and if it falls, I won't find it. Here's my solution: I got a heavy duty keychain reel from a lockshop. It's the kind that security guards use to carry huge keyrings. It has a fine steel chain instead of cord and clips securely to my belt. I use the dog clip on my Neo to clip it directly to the reel. It allows a good basic range of motion. I rarely need to reach over my head or anything. It hangs securely just inside my right front pocket, so it's not dangling around, yet it is instant to retrieve it. If I need to use it outside of the reel's range, I just unclip it.

Bernie

Last edited: