Guidelines for using a high power incan

Action

Enlightened
With my Schulze I am using a high current car battery for the power and recharge it as needed (a garaged car under restoration). I have a 15 amp power supply, but it keeps blowing my breakers and when it did work, the Schulze did not like it much.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Tom,

I have done a bunch of testing now with the Competition Electronics Turbo GFX 35, and their cell holder which has separate leads for measuring voltage, from those used to discharge cells. I'm getting what I consider more accurate readings than my old CBA-II technique of attaching magnet leads to cells.

In other conversations with CBP Mike, he mentions testing cells when hot as you said, but also solders 12AWG discharge & separate voltage test wires directly to the cells (NiMH) for tests. The modded CE clamp down cradle will work for me.

Trying to compare the results to CBA-II with new beta software.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tom,

I have done a bunch of testing now with the Competition Electronics Turbo GFX 35, and their cell holder which has separate leads for measuring voltage, from those used to discharge cells. I'm getting what I consider more accurate readings than my old CBA-II technique of attaching magnet leads to cells.

In other conversations with CBP Mike, he mentions testing cells when hot as you said, but also solders 12AWG discharge & separate voltage test wires directly to the cells (NiMH) for tests. The modded CE clamp down cradle will work for me.

Trying to compare the results to CBA-II with new beta software.

It sounds to me like these cells are rated based on absolute ideal conditions.

TBH:
I don't see it as a big deal - they work, but the run time sucks - pretty much what we already know. The only way around that would be to use a huge torch with big batteries. If you want to do high output from a small torch you are going to get short run times, I think it is just something we have to live with.

BUT:
I am going to try 2 x D Sized Li-ion cells for a ROP Low - it should be bright and with a reasonable run time. Unfortunately for the 10A bulbs it is a bit hard to get standard Li-ion cells to handle the current (would have to be unprotected and it would be pushing just over 2C). I think we could do with some 3000+ mAh IMR cells from AW to work with 10A bulbs. It would still only give us 20 minutes or so. I doubt we will see over 30 minutes (from small torches) at 150W any time soon.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
It sounds to me like these cells are rated based on absolute ideal conditions.

TBH:
I don't see it as a big deal - they work, but the run time sucks - pretty much what we already know. The only way around that would be to use a huge torch with big batteries. If you want to do high output from a small torch you are going to get short run times, I think it is just something we have to live with.

BUT:
I am going to try 2 x D Sized Li-ion cells for a ROP Low - it should be bright and with a reasonable run time. Unfortunately for the 10A bulbs it is a bit hard to get standard Li-ion cells to handle the current (would have to be unprotected and it would be pushing just over 2C). I think we could do with some 3000+ mAh IMR cells from AW to work with 10A bulbs. It would still only give us 20 minutes or so. I doubt we will see over 30 minutes (from small torches) at 150W any time soon.

Yeah, I agree with you on all counts. The only way around the high voltage/high amp drawing setups is if you can do parallel, which works fine with discharging NiMH, but not charging them. Parallel setups of Li-Ion 18650 cells means you are headed towards using one the wider Elephant body lights. Only so many ways to cut the mustard.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
Lux,

Could you recommend a new charger as the Hyperion 1210i doesn't appear to be available anymore?

Thanks.

For what it's worth, I really like the looks of the iCharger line of chargers. That being said, I'm just reading up on chargers and don't have one myself yet.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Lux,

Could you recommend a new charger as the Hyperion 1210i doesn't appear to be available anymore?

Thanks.

That's a surprise. It might still be available at various RC stores, you can search google for this model, and call the stores like this one to see if it is still in stock.

It also depends what you need to charge, whether you need an AC model, or one that works with a separate DC power supply (which will give a wider selection of features), etc.

I was drawn to this 1210i model because it was relatively affordable, did up to 30 NiMH cells, and LiPo, and A123 Lithium Iron Phosphate. Hyperion does not have a current model that does 30s NiMH that I see.