H13 to 9007

Hilldweller

Enlightened
The older gen of Power Wagons had 9007 reflectors and then switched to H13.
Would there be enough of an improvement to warrant a swap and get rid of the H13s in favor of 9007?

Ducky's Dad

Newly Enlightened
Those of us with 9007 PW's would probably say it's not worth the conversion, unless cheap and simple. Don't have an H13 truck to compare to, but the 9007 headlights are not very good. Hard to believe the H13s could be worse.

hokiefyd

Newly Enlightened
You would have to swap the whole head lamp housings, and no, I don't think there'd be any improvement of note. I owned a 2003 Grand Caravan with HB5s and a 2007 Town & Country with H13s. The Town & Country with the H13s actually provided better lighting than the older one with the HB5s. I think it'll depend mostly on the reflector in the housing itself...the performance of the bulbs themselves is likely close enough between the two to call it equivalent. I do understand that the H13 will last longer than the HB5.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
The older gen of Power Wagons had 9007 reflectors and then switched to H13.

The H13 is supposed to be better than the 9007, according to Scheinwerfermann in this post. Don't blame the bulb-- blame the lamp assembly. It's a shame that when they switched to the better bulb, they still somehow stepped back in performance.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
It is not possible to use a 9007 bulb in an H13 headlamp, and there would not be an improvement by removing the H13 headlamps and installing 9007 headlamps.

opposite locker

Newly Enlightened
Is yours a 3rd gen or a 4th gen? I have been absolutely thrilled with Philips XP H13's in my 2008 dodge. Sometimes I feel like the low beams offer better coverage than the factory HiD's in my Mercedes GL320, especially when it's pitch black out. High beams are another story, but that's what auxiliary driving lights are for.

Hilldweller

Enlightened
Is yours a 3rd gen or a 4th gen? I have been absolutely thrilled with Philips XP H13's in my 2008 dodge. Sometimes I feel like the low beams offer better coverage than the factory HiD's in my Mercedes GL320, especially when it's pitch black out. High beams are another story, but that's what auxiliary driving lights are for.
I've got a G4 with H11 and 9005 lights. The PW Registry has G3&4 members though and they're not happy with the H13s or the 9007...
I was just hoping that the earlier 9007 was better; didn't ever uses those myself.

opposite locker

Newly Enlightened
Tell them to give the Philips XPs a try. I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with the low beam performance of properly aimed factory '06-08/9 headlights with the XP's. Have had several passengers tell me that my truck has "great" headlights since changing the bulbs. Never came up with previous Xtravisions & Silverstars.

The bulb isn't necessarily much brighter, but creates a beam pattern that REALLY helps nighttime visibility where it is needed with no unnecessarily bright spots.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I've got a G4 with H11 and 9005 lights.

Put Osram Night Breaker H11s in the low beams, and Philips HIR1 (9011) in the high beams.

The PW Registry has G3&4 members though and they're not happy with the H13s or the 9007

None of these headlamps (H11/9005, H13, 9007) is much better than "cheap and basic". It's nice to see upgrades to the lighting equipment coming through on Chrysler's cars; maybe eventually that will spread to their trucks.

opposite locker

Newly Enlightened
I recall reading somewhere that the face lifted 2013 Ram trucks are going to come with HIR projectors

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Wouldn't surprise me; Chrysler has been putting those on a lot of vehicles lately.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
All those aftermarket "new style" headlamps are ridiculously, hideously inadequate. They don't come even close to meeting the requirements for beam performance, durability, etc. and really can't be considered headlamps; there's no real mechanical or optical engineering in them. They are more like fashion/style toys. I'm sure the kids (of all ages) who buy them think they're great.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember when "tuning" meant adjusting the dwell, setting the timing, and adjusting the idle and mixture? Somehow, tuning went from working with the engine to bolting on crap toy headlamps and lighted washer nozzles...

/git off mah LAWN!

Saw a BMW with twin projector headlamps and all these ECE markings all over the lenses and stuff... Then I saw the mark I was looking for: DEPO. No wonder those lights absolutely stink.