H1N1 "Swine Flu" Ain't Got Nothing on 2012–2013 Strain...

jtr1962

Flashaholic
No! What I'm saying is that in Central Florida we've had about 30% of confirmed cases expire on us.
If I understand you correctly then that probably means there were a lot of cases of H1N1 where the person either never got tested, or never even went to the doctor, but survived. That sounds a bit better now. IIRC the Spanish influenza only had a mortality rate of ~2.5%, and that was the worst flu pandemic in recorded history.

As far as containing it? That's almost an impossibility. That's the reason for the high death toll in the early 1900's from influenza in this country as well as others. It's about like trying to contain roaches and rats. It isn't going to happen without complete paralysis of our entire economic system.
If the mortality rate here is in the low single digits or less then I suppose there is no need to attempt to contain it.

Ghostwalker54

Newly Enlightened
The reality is that the CDC is only as good as the number of cases reported. Smaller hospitals may not test for H1N1 or get a false negative on the first test and that's as far as it goes. FL Hosp has an extensive reach because we have our own helo pads with life-flight choppers that go to some fairly remote community hospitals to pick the patients up if suspected of having it. There are indeed unreported cases due to survival and lack of testing. The number of H1N1 cases this year has surpassed the sum of all cases total in past years and we still may not ever know to what extent or how widespread it actually was / is. Bottom line: if you have a family member that seems to have symptoms more severe than what you have seem or experienced in the past get them to what you consider a competent doctor or hospital ED. I've watched three perfectly healthy, mid to late 20's adults in just a few weeks time go down faster than we could come up with answers to combat the strain. Two females and a male.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had been feeling fine the last couple weeks, i.e., go to bed very early, rise very early,
put in a long day's work, and do it again.

Came home from a long day on Friday (two days ago) and felt normal tired from a 12 hour day.
Ate a big dinner and was going to watch a movie, but just went to bed.

Woke up at around 4:30 A.M. which is normal, because that is when I usually rise for work.
The room was shaky and spinning. Sat up, got out of bed around 5:20 A.M. yesterday (Saturday)
morning, sat down at the kitchen table and ate a nice breakfast. Since I didn't have to stay up
for work, I went back to bed and grabbed my headphones to listen to some nice music.

As soon as I was horizontal, the dizziness came back with a vengeance and would not relent.
I tried to stand up and crashed into the wall by the closet, bracing myself as the whole room
shook and trembled and rose and fell at violent angles. I thought if I stumbled back to the kitchen
and sat down by my laptop things might correct.

Then the nausea started, and bad. I went to the bathroom, threw up, and started googling.
We all know, we all have been told that Google is not and should not be used in place of a doctor,
but...

I vacillated back and forth between thinking it could be food poisoning or carbon monoxide inhalation,
so I struggled to get on warm clothes and went for a walk around the block. I walked very slowly,
and walked very deliberately, but made it. When I got home, I threw up again.

Still feeling lightheaded and dizzy, I sat in bed partly upright with a pillow behind me,
and fell asleep, probably Stage One.

Got up and the nausea had completely passed, but the unsteady feeling had not.
I walked down to where the shops are in town, and saw a sign that read "$1.00 Hot Dog Specials, Wednesday and Friday!" I knew this was probably not the best idea, but...

"How many do you want?" the smiling lady asked. "Let's start with three and see how we do," I responded. Cookies were a buck each, so for $5.01 I got a good deal. :eek:

I was genuinely hungry, and I ate all three dogs and the two cookies, and walked the rest of the way home, still feeling a bit lightheaded and dizzy. As a precaution, I went to Lowe's before turning in, and bought a modern carbon monoxide detector, setting it up right next to my bed. Man,that green LED is bright, but how much is peace of mind worth? For those who may be interested, it was Lowe's Item #: 304218 which is First Alert model #: CO615.

Went to bed last night, stomach was fine.

Woke up this morning, dizzy again, lightheaded, but no nausea.

Did some more googling, and it appears that even after a few weeks of "beating" the flu
some people experience bouts of severe dizziness.

Anyone else had this symptom?

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
After over two weeks of being sick with the flu, I finally felt well enough to get back to work teaching karate, take my Bible college classes, and go to my Bible study classes at the church. When I went to the Bible study class this morning, I was told that we lost our pastor to the swine flu last night. He did have leukemia as well but that hadn't stopped him from doing his job. He was a fighter and cancer did not keep him from preaching and helping others. His leadership, kindness to others, C.S. Lewis quotes, and sense of humor will be surely missed.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry to hear that.

Do you know if he received this year's flu shot?

I do not know if he had received the flu shot or not, but under the circumstances it's not a question I would bother his family over answering. They have enough to deal with right now.

inetdog

Enlightened
Some chemotherapy patients cannot receive the vaccine without risk of illness. The best thing then would have been for everyone around him to be vaccinated ( without exposing him.)

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
...it's not a question I would bother his family over answering. They have enough to deal with right now.

Of course not.

Sorry to hear about your loss, and glad you are feeling a bit better.

Some chemotherapy patients cannot receive the vaccine without risk of illness. The best thing then would have been for everyone around him to be vaccinated ( without exposing him.)

Agreed!

We come into contact with so many pathogens in so many places on a daily
basis, it is nearly impossible to identify where we picked up a given illness.