Halcyon 18W HID Bulb Replacement/Alternative

Riskguy

Newly Enlightened
Hi all....

I am a newbie here and am hoping someone can help me out. I was checking out a friend's Halcyon 18W HID (Proteus 6 I think) and the canister dropped...pulling the lighthead right out of my butterfingers. One broken bulb later, I am looking at replacing the bulb for him (BTW, the look on his face when it happened was just plain SAD). Does anyone suggest other alternatives to the $220 Welch-Allyn 18W bulb? I can do it, if I dig deep and stretch big, but am hoping another alternative may work just as well....like the 21W WA? And if I just buy the whole thing from him, is there a way for me to easily retrofit the socket or bulb to a less expensive/comparable one, or will it require full ballast, heat transfer fluid, etc. replacement if I try? I've read about a potential Brightstar replacement, but can't find any details.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-Riskguy

Riskguy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the response. I was hoping that wasn't going to be the case, but it looks like I am buying a new $200 bulb for him....bummer!

Thanks for the advice!

SmokedCPU

Newly Enlightened
Hi

Its a sad thing to broke a friend's thing of a such price. Im wishing you to find some alternative.

You MAY check about 35w hid flashlight on ebay. i found a seller some time ago selling ballast and Bulb running from 11.1V 3Cell Li-ion that would have fitted directly in D-Mag.
Since his light is 18w i dont know if it will work. ALSO it could be a pain to fit the bulb to get a good focus, and bulb could burn because of bad installation/cheapness, and its a Dive Light... life of a friend rely on his light.

The other thing i can say, is that i was going on the HID way before finding CFP.... :candle:
In that time i was reading articles on Diverite about anything i found of interest, i read a clever tought... something like «Led technologie is now so advanced that it almost beat HID on output, and is made of unbreakable solid component ...»

This changed my point of view; there are no way to argue about toughtness of led vs light bulbs.

Some time after that, during my Advance certification, somebody droped 2 feets high a NiteRider dual 14w, and killed a bulb.

This incident will dictate to you and others the true power of led light. Diving is an expensive sport/hobby going well with being a flashflaolic, we must choose carfully the components to have a long service life.

I wish you good luck, but luck isnt a factor in diving ;)

Latest posts