Hands Free Light For Around The Campfire?

A. Justice

Newly Enlightened
I have a "rebranded" Sofrin D25LR. It's plenty bright for gathering wood, and it had a red light so you don't blind yourself and others. The battery life is pretty good, I would expect it to last easily for a night around the fire.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny you mentioned that. I was given a 1960's comic of Smokey the bear by an old smoke jumper a few years ago and I never took it out of my van. There's a bit of truth to old Smokey!

Oh dang, now that is really cool!

Gil P.

Newly Enlightened
Down the 🐇 hole we go…

View attachment 22895
I would get this or some other 90 degree light that you can clip to your belt or somewhere on a sturdy shirt or jacket.

Bravo30

Newly Enlightened
I would get this or some other 90 degree light that you can clip to your belt or somewhere on a sturdy shirt or jacket.
I'm leaning heavily towards a 90degree light. Like you said, I can clip it to my built or hang it somewhere. I have a US surplus "sidewinder" that I can test out this weekend and then upgrade to something with more downward light projection if need be.

4017E7D9-A90D-4E52-B46C-EFD6D58C6BBA.jpeg

Lithium Juice

Newly Enlightened
There are some very comfortable headlamps out there now, but if you really don't want to use one; UltraSpire makes a belt based light, Streamlight and Sofirn both make lanterns. First-Light has a belt mount for their angle flashlights. Pelican, Fox-Fury, Streamlight and Milwaukee all make scene lights, although we are really getting into overkill here.

If I had to pick a non-headlamp to use while chopping wood, I think a lantern would be my go to option. A light mounted below shoulder height is great for running, with the off-axis light giving good depth, it's going to make some weird shadows with chopping, and an axe/maul isn't something you want to be using while slightly disoriented.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chopping and burning wood in low light, drinking for 7 hours, and a dog running around....

This speaks to me. Would love to be there.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
That neck light looks nice, but Kobalt makes a brighter rechargeable one (300 lumens)
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-2954925-Rechargeable-LED-Neck-Light/5001523463

Nitecore makes a light that automatically adjusts the beam angle to stay the same during movement. You can mount it to a belt, backpack strap, etc. Uses any usb battery pack for power. It's the Nitecore CU10.

If it's a matter of comfort that is making you rule out headlights, I suggest looking at the Nitecore NU20 and NU25 headlights. They weigh practically nothing and are very comfortable to wear.

If all else fails, you can try this::au:

Bravo30

Newly Enlightened
Chopping and burning wood in low light, drinking for 7 hours, and a dog running around....

This speaks to me. Would love to be there.

We love winter fires the best. Something about fighting back the cold and how the snow glows with the light from the fire! Summer fires are nice also but they're a different type of vibe. Usually just a few logs burning so a lot less activity around the fire and more time relaxing in a good recline chair.

If you have Instagram you can check out our page. All fire/Sprinter Van and flashlight pics 🤣 search: Bradford1975

steeps

Newly Enlightened
Lately what I've been doing in situations like yours is clipping an Olight Mini Warrior or Warrior 2 to my pants pocket with a silicone diffuser they make if you ask for it on their chat. I point it down and it works quite nice while walking around.

WigglyTheGreat

Newly Enlightened
Why not a right angle headlamp with a pocket clip? Ditch the headband and clip it to your shirt or belt.
I like the headband for many different mounting solution other than on the head. As mentioned already you can wear it around your neck. I also use mine as a waist mounted light, wrist mounted light, and bicycle headlight all using the same headband and also hang the light from the band to use a tent light etc. I guess using a pocket clip will give you many options, but I just like using the band to help mount the light. I feel like it would be less likely to lose a light with the band over the clip too.

HitFactor

Newly Enlightened
This headlamp has multiple carry options.

I have a pair, one is in the headstrap for hunting, the other is without the strap for EDC.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm leaning heavily towards a 90degree light. Like you said, I can clip it to my built or hang it somewhere. I have a US surplus "sidewinder" that I can test out this weekend and then upgrade to something with more downward light projection if need be.

I'm curious to hear how it worked out for you.

MX421

Enlightened
Since you have a Zebralight, i would assume one of those headlamps are a Zebra? If so, just take off the rubber flashlight holder and put it on your ballcap strap. Then just put the light in it and when you cut reverse the ballcap. Go check out the zebralight mods. Another way is to put the headlamp around your neck as mentioned above. I personally made a way to wear a flooder headlamp around my neck with some small diameter rope. When i need to do work requiring light, i use both to illuminate everything i'm working on. System also works well for a work light replacement while painting.

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you have a Zebralight, i would assume one of those headlamps are a Zebra? If so, just take off the rubber flashlight holder and put it on your ballcap strap. Then just put the light in it and when you cut reverse the ballcap. Go check out the zebralight mods. Another way is to put the headlamp around your neck as mentioned above. I personally made a way to wear a flooder headlamp around my neck with some small diameter rope. When i need to do work requiring light, i use both to illuminate everything i'm working on. System also works well for a work light replacement while painting.
1647807035262.jpeg
1647807157044.jpeg

great idea...

i do all of mine like this. (not my photos)

Last edited:
I'm looking for a flashlight that I can use when I'm around the campfire splitting and gathering firewood etc.
I have a few headlamps but I don't like how they feel on my head so I end taking them off and putting them back on which gets old. I'd rather have something handsfree or hanging from my neck where I could click on while I gathered wood etc then click it back off. Right now I use a ZL sc64 and I have to take my gloves off to get it out of my pocket and that's getting old as well.

Thoughts?
Can you wear a ball cap? That ZL will clip onto the bill.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes I just clip on my AAA light to the brim of my baseball cap if I want the soft glow of less than 1 lumen for close area situational awareness. The rest of the time I just use my older school Petzl 80L (on the 20L setting) headlamp. It's comfortable, adjustable and does everything I need it to do without blasting people's eyes.

Latest posts