harvesting infrared leds from remote controls

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
can one harvest ir leds from remotes in order to build a small array that would illuminated a small office at night with a small web cam for security purposes? What do ya'll think?

Harrkev

Enlightened
Well, buying LEDs from Radio Shack is not that expensive. However, if you have a lot of remote controls lying around, and don't mind a little sweat, then I say go for it.

Keep in mind that the leads will be cut. Usually, the leads are bent 90 degrees, which means that there will be a little length to play with.

You can use a camcorder (or better yet, a B/W videocam) to see the output of the LEDs.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bushman:
can one harvest ir leds from remotes in order to build a small array that would illuminated a small office at night with a small web cam for security purposes? What do ya'll think?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is a source for infrared LED's. I have purchased from them before. You can select most any frequency and power, including lasers.

Infrared LEDs
wink.gif

Wayne

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember looking for an IR camera, on ebay and found a large selection. Most of them are tiny with about 8 LEDs surrounding the rim of the lens. I was going to put this camera in my trucks grill, and hook it up to a in dash TV. Kinda like FLIR in the helicopters.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bushman:
can one harvest ir leds from remotes in order to build a small array that would illuminated a small office at night with a small web cam for security purposes? What do ya'll think?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like something I'd do- A lot of work and time wasted to save a few bucks. (assuming you had a bunch of useless remotes laying around.)

They aren't all that expensive- I think I'd just buy them. You can get 50 of them on eBay for $6.50 (including shipping)http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1695039971,
and I bought a complete IR illuminator kit with 36 LEDS, pc board and instructions there about six months ago for like ten dollars.