Has 4seven's flashlights lived up to the hype?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Grumpy

Enlightened
My Quark 123 is the best EDC flashlight that I have ever owned.

I love it.

DimeRazorback

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that they are a good flashlight for the price, and meet my personal expectations.

I also have my negative thoughts on them, which is only natural.

K

kimck99

Newly Enlightened
I have the Quark AA with a 18650 body and overall, I am happy with it. From a Price, Performance, Quality standpoint, I think it provides a very good value.

Comparing the QAA with my Nitecore D10 R2, IMO, the D10 is of higher build quality and I like the beam/spread of the light better. To be specific:
  • Quality - the Nitecore D10 R2 has a much smoothers threads. I cleaned and lubed both lights and the D10 is still much better.
  • Beam - (Both on Eneloops) the D10 R2 seems brighter ( I say seems because the tint on the D10 is a bit cooler than the QAA so I preception may be a bit skewed) and the spill area is definitely brighter.
I am currently running D10 on 14500 and QAA with 18650. With this configuration, the D10 seems brighter. (Again, just visually, not with any instrument to measure.)

Having said that, even though the D10 is my EDC, I think for the money, Quarks are a good value.

Hope this helps.

S

Snow

Enlightened
I have Quark 2xAA tactical and a 1xAA, both in neutral white. I have been extremely satisfied with them. I usually carry the tactical in 1xAA with the flat tailcap daily, the other is in my car, bag, or home. The neutral tint has changed my world. I will no longer buy a flashlight with a cool tint.

My only disappointment is the anodization. I am used to Surefire milspec HA and the "HA" on the Quarks rubs off quite easily. All in all, they are great lights and a good value, so I won't complain.

Speedball

Speedball

Newly Enlightened
I'll let you know when I receive my Gold Preon...:D

So far my T-1, Tk-11, P3D, and P1D do just fine.

B

bosh

Newly Enlightened
I have a 1232 Tactical and am slightly disappointed in it. While it's not a big deal I guess, the pre-flash when switching modes seems like someone didn't do their homework when they designed the circuit. Kinda cheapens the light for me if that makes any sense. It's also having a problem getting stuck in the "head tightened" mode, when the head is loose (won’t switch output levels or enter the program mode). This is an intermittent problem and has only happened a couple of times. Its working fine right now :confused:. I have a note in to customer service and am sure they will take care of the issue... but it's still an issue.
Things I love about the light are the form factor, just the right size and nice and slim. Very light weight with a good beam pattern. The threads are very good on my example and the UI is fantastic, almost exactly what I was looking for.
I'd buy another one.

B

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one 4sevens light, the Quark Turbo AA2,

I bought it as a 2AA light with some throw, high output with great spill and was not disappointed. It's main use is a bicycle light and used for out doors for spotting things at a distance. Works great for that and with the larger finned head, it does not get hot if left running for an hour with no air flow.

Comparing it against other lights for quality, it is on par with Fenix (I think they are related) My Nitecore D10 is better quality and it does not live up to the bomb-proof construction of my Peaks. I do like that they added a protected tail switch for the Turbo, I'll order one pretty soon to protect the switch for heavier abuse in the out doors. Always good to have a spare tail switch laying around so it is not an issue with me.

I would buy another Turbo AA2 XP-G R5, it works great for out door abuse and the two-position rotate the head tactical UI is easy to use. I have mine set for max output with head tight and medium output with head loose. Nice option when the batteries run low as the medium gives enough light to see (or be seen) so you can make it home.

Would I take it to the desert as a primary light? No, it would be a great back up light though.

Cataract

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only negative thing I could say about 4Seven lights is that both my Quark AA's o-rings are slightly too big and make it hard to unscrew the head and/or tailcap. My Fenix lights seem a little better on the machining.

Other than that, both my Quarks do what they have to do and very well at that. They are my main EDC ever since I got them, so they passed the test so far. I even drop them (unwillingly) every now and then and no sign of scratch or anything. Plus the battery life is excellent.

On top of that, I love their UI's (regular and tactical) and the choice of output and availability of neutral LED

Service wise, 4 Sevens has the best in Canada. I always know what's going on without needing to inquire and shipping and delivery happens exactly when they say so. I just hope 4 Senvens.ca starts carrying a wider range of lights so I don't need to deal with other companies which seem to make me wait forever for shipping and take over 48 hours to tell me what' going on.

Bottom line: yes, they live up to all the fuss

funkymonkey1111

funkymonkey1111

Enlightened
I know everyone betting on the Maelstrom being released tomorrow, so I want to get this posted before that hits.

So, what do you think? For those that have followed the releases whether moderately or obsessively how have they lived up to your (reasonable) expectations so far?

This thread is for those that own 4sevens lights only. I want to know your impressions, comparisons would be okay but I'd prefer for the thread to be dedicated to 4sevens only.

My Quark Turbo and 1st 4sevens light is coming via priority from Flashlightsngear. Waiting..

what is the maelstorm? i don't see it on their site.

B

bernards

Newly Enlightened
My threads were really gummy. It's a tactical version. When I attempted to program the light by twisting. The loctite part was twisted opened instead. (Yes the loctite part was looser than the greased part.) Maybe it's one in a thousand, but still QC can be better.

P

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
what is the maelstorm? i don't see it on their site.

The Maelstrom is a yet-to-be-released 4Seven's MC-E light. There is some random tidbits about what it might be in the 4Sevens forum in the Marketplace, but there is no concrete info. No release date has been announced, but it is expected to be fairly soon....

C

Closet_Flashaholic

Enlightened
The quark AA tactical I have replaced my D10 about 2 months ago for EDC. The D10 replaced a Fenix L1D CE before that. And before that a Surefire Incan.

The quark has been good so far. As previous posts stated, give it a year and ask again.

The quarks have a lot of things going for them, extensive leggoing and updated LED technology are the 2 that I like the most. I have lots of quark pieces now (and on the way). Some Ti, 18650 bodies, Turbo 123, etc. I also am looking forward to seeing how the Quark prism works and the RGB model when it shows up. If David's not careful, the Quarks may become the king of the lego kits. Although I can't imagine what else he can come up with, maybe a lantern kit (that takes 4 D cells in the base) or diffuser kits, as someone else has mentioned.

I don't personally have any interest in AAA lights or the quark MiNi's since they don't lego with the quark line, but to each their own..

gsxrac

gsxrac

Enlightened
I have 2 4sevens lights right now and 2 more on the way but so far they have lived up to and surpassed all of my expectations. If I had more money I would have more 4sevens lights. They are right up there with Surefire in my book.

edc3

edc3

Enlightened
Interesting thread. I never saw what I perceived as hype. I had some expectations and they have pretty much all been met. I currently have 6 4Sevens lights and have a few more on the way (some for gifts). I've had no serious quality or performance issues and it's very comforting to know that 4Sevens is there to back up their products if I do have problems. To put it concisely, the lights do what they are supposed to do and do it well. :twothumbs

Henk_Lu

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Quarks are indeed a hype, but the hype started for me AFTER I got the first one, not before...

When I first saw them at 4Sevens, I hadn't read about them and though that they were trying to make some copies of Fenix and sell them cheap. Then I read some threads, saw the neutral whites and decided to give them a try. I was convinced that they are no cheap-copy-thing.

Testing the lights was a revelation. Indeed, redefining the flashlight is a good description. You realise that those lights have been studied, that there is an idea from a flashaholic behind. They sport the best LEDs available, the reflector is OP as it should be, wel designed for a big hotspot and enough spill. There's the moonmode, which I wouldn't want to miss anymore, the different levels are well separated and they are bright on Turbo. What's more, the mechanical quality is top notch, there are usefull accessoires and you get them either with the classic reverse clicky or with a new designed tactical UI. The price is very attractive too.

You can get an 18650 body for the lights, all spare parts and you can lego them, so you have many different possibilities without the need to buy more than one complete light. It's not my thing, but it's a great opportunity to save a few bucks. The lights all work with different cell chemistries, including li-ions. I forgot the neutral-whites, unfortunately nearly sold-out and the oportunity to get titanium lights for a great price.

The only issues are the preflash, which is more disturbing on the tacticals than on the regulars and the heads are sometimes hard to turn (as on my AA-2), could be the o-ring. I'm strong, so it's OK...

The Turbos are high-class as well, perhaps I like them even more than the normal Quarks, at least in the forest. The Preons are nice, the Preon2 is quite special and a real winner, bright as hell for its size.

The RGB will be something really special, a niche light, the MiNi will be the brightest small light available with CR123A. I bet the Maelstrom will convince me to go multi-die, I'm the single-die man, I love my lights small. As all these lights are not in our hands yet, they are in fact tomorrow's hype and not subject of this thread.

If somebody asks me about a good light, I normally say Quark now, they are currently best in class. They surely live up the hype, they rock!!! lovecpf

NutSAK

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC a Quark 123 Tactical NW, and carry a spare AA2 body for it in my EDC bag. I love it in both configurations. The beam is perfect for all-around use, with a smooth spot/spill transition and the most spill (largest diameter) of any reflectored light I own. The levels are easily configurable and the light is very simple to operate once configured.

I just purchased an 18650 body and a MiNi AA neutral as well.

...as to whether they meet up to the 'hype'? I don't care. They fit my uses perfectly.

DM51

DM51

Super Moderator,
Supporter
If this thread was intended as an invitation for trolls to participate in a product-bashing spree, as the use of the word "hype" in the title suggests, it has backfired.

If it was not intended that way, it is too general in its scope. It would heve been better for the topic to have been a specific light, rather than an entire brand, which in this case has its own sub-forum in the MP.

There's no point in continuing with it. It's closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.