Has anyone here at CPF ever actually used STROBE MODE?

belfastbiker

Newly Enlightened
Yes - I use normal mode when cycling at night, and strobe mode to get noticed that bit quicker during the day.

I'll take every advantage thanks. :)

Coming from motorbiking to push biking, I favour daylight running lights greatly.

Last edited:

GunnarGG

Enlightened
I have not been in a situation yet where I found strobe useful.
For use in traffic I think it's better to use the slower blinking/beacon with 2-4 Hz some lights have. The fast strobe is sometimes called disorienting strobe for a reason.
The purpose is to make the other drivers notice me and avoid hit me, not to disorient them and make them hit me (or somebody else).

@herosemblem: I tried to PM you but no success. Try batteryjunction or Going Gear.

belfastbiker

Newly Enlightened
For use in traffic I think it's better to use the slower blinking/beacon with 2-4 Hz some lights have. The fast strobe is sometimes called disorienting strobe for a reason. The purpose is to make the other drivers notice me and avoid hit me, not to disorient them and make them hit me (or somebody else).

I hear you - for dusk/nighttime riding, I use a steady beam, only use the flasher in daytime. i'll take noticeable any time.

soulrider

Newly Enlightened
I think, as with most things, it boils down to some people like the strobe feature and some people don't. I don't know why it gets brought up so frequently. As far the concept of using the strobe at night in a break-down situation but being afraid of triggering an epileptic seizure in someone, I'd consider the following: The chance that you would have a driver who actually has epilepsy drive by, have that particular driver be one of the few that actually has photosensitive epilepsy AND have the conditions (rate of flash, colors, background lighting, angle of the light) all be correct enough to actually cause a seizure, would be SO low, I think I'd risk it to avoid people running into my car or myself.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't used it yet, but I can definitely picture times when I would like to have it. As long as the mode is at least somewhat hidden but still available when I need it I have no complaints.

curtispdx

Enlightened
I didn't use strobe last night but the slower (signaling?) version on my AW Soft Start at a roll-over accident last night. Drivers seemed to be able to see me through various overhead lights, fire trucks and flares on the street and I was able to direct traffic with it. I didn't get hit so I'd say it was a success.

So, for signaling I'd say it's okay. To disorient, I still think "Not so much."

Last edited:

ReturnFormer

Newly Enlightened
I use it all the time riding my bike to work or class. Theres been a few times where someone came flying around a corner and stopped short upon seeing my strobe. I did almost hit someone once who was walking in the street towards me because he said he was blinded and therefore didnt know to move aside. At the last minute I hit the brakes and yelled at him to move. I would rather risk that though, than not be seen. Theoretically, I could point it down a bit, but that wouldn't be nearly as effective as one of the main dangers to me is cars making sudden right turns in front of me. I need a strong flashing in their side mirrors so they can see im coning up behind them, and I have had success with this, too.

Similar to one of the first post's suggestions of scaring electricians, it happens to be that a neighbors tree knocked some wires down on the side of the house where i keep my bike, and while getting it out this morning, i accidentally activated the strobe. Scared myself silly for a moment til i realized what had happened... ;)

ibbleobble

Newly Enlightened
I was at a kids party once, and made the dance floor much more exciting with the strobe. Those kids really got down and boogied!

1boredguy

Newly Enlightened
The only time it was REALLY WORTH it...

Bachelor party. Loud Music = check. Strippers = check. Party lighting for the "private dance room"? Fenix PD3, check.

Latest posts