Has anyone on this forum used LED desk lamp?

arisyap

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone on this forum used LED desk lamp?

Is it durable? Is it bright enough to illuminate the keyboard & desk?

will it last 5yrs?

One thing I like about LED desk lamp is that they don't overheat even you use it for a long time. So it is very advisable if you're working for a long period of time. Regarding brightness, yes its definitely fine. Durability, I'm not so sure but manufacturers and stores claim that it has longer life time. Another thing, although it is energy efficient, it is quite expensive when you purchase.

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use 3W XRE PAR16/JDR LED bulbs in a regular desk lamp. They are available in warm white so blue is not a problem. The ones that say Xlamp or XRE or P4 are 2X as bright as the ones that just say 1W or 3W LED.

The dedicated LED desk lamps with 5 mm LEDs are too blue and I do not trust how long the 5 mm LEDs last.

Last edited:

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
The dedicated LED desk lamps with 5 mm LEDs are too blue and I do not trust how long the 5 mm LEDs last.

Not necessarily....the el-cheapo lamp I posted in the MarketPlace
(thread gone) from Rona, that uses 16 5mm neutral LEDs, is rather
impressive for its price. I can't comment on LED fade as I have been
running mine on reduced brightness for several months on a pair
or alkaline D cells (normal power is from 4.5v regulated wall adapter).

I will repost details in the CPF MP under Good Deals (Canada Good
Deals), as that thread is MIA and the product is still available.

Dave

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Until they start making inexpensive LED desklamps using more efficient higher quality LEDs (not the 5/10mm junk) you are probably better off buying or converting to a decent fluorescent lamp and using that for a few years. You can swap out a bulb and replace it with a CFL fluoro lamp for cheap vs a bunch of bucks for an LED lamp usually made with LEDs from 2-4 year ago which are not more efficient but guess what? The lamp costs twice as much.