Has anyone tried out the Klarus Mi7 AA light advertised above^?

CYMac

Newly Enlightened
What 14500 batteries and aftermarket pocket clip should I purchase????

Don't buy XXX-fire 14500, they sucks. I have a bunch of them before because they are cheap, and turn out they self-drain like crazy or they self-discharge, so they are no good for flashlights. I am now using olight brand 14500 and they seems to be pretty good in my lights so far. Probably people have other options but I am just saying what I have tried so far. Olights battery seems to be pretty okay.

Thank you Stephen and CYMac for input. Will buy keeppowers 840mah... They look expensive though. Think I only really need one however. Got other lights to use while recharging the incoming Klarus Mi7.

jskelton

Newly Enlightened
A big discount was offered, so a lot of us just jumped on that. Mine shipped yesterday. I wanted a smallish light with good output to use as a baseline comparison light for my custom light review videos... this may fit the bill. For the price we got... if it turns on, it'll be a good deal.

Since I don't own the lab equipment required to confirm the stated lumen output, I won't be commenting on that at all, but it'll be put up for light-to-light comparison with some well known lights, so you'll be able to see basically how it stacks up, without exact numbers.

Last edited:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
What 14500 batteries and aftermarket pocket clip should I purchase????

I hadn't used 14500's before 2013, and my carry light before then was a cr123 light. But in late 2012 and 2013, we started seeing single AA sized lights with the brightness of cr123 lights, so I bought 3 of them initially, then started carrying one every day. All 3 used both AA and 14500, but at first I was still skeptical of 14500 run times, so even though I had bought 2 of Eagletac 750mah 14500s, I never used them. But later in 2013 I decided to use a 14500 in my Zebralight SC52, and although I never did an official run time test of AA vs 14500 in that light, the 14500s seemed to offer good runtimes. Then late 2015, I lost the SC52(along with 1 of my 2 14500s), and started carrying my Spark SL5 220cw with a 14500. It seems to have good run times with the 14500 as well.

So the Eagletac 750mah 14500s I started using in 2013 performed well, and I'm still using the 1 I have left. But now you can get 14500s with 850mah capacity that are made by quality brands.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've pulled the trigger on this one too. I personally doubt 700 lumens from a 14500, but anything above 500 will be amazing. Personally, I want to know what it can do with an eneloop too. 330 lumens seems too high, but it will be fun to see.

This light looks like a ground breaker. [emoji106]

700 lumens on 14500 is possible, though runtime might be pretty short.

I recently modded my Skilhunt DS16 1xAA light into a 14500 light with a FET driver and XPL HI emitter. On a fresh Efest purple IMR 14500 it's as bright as my Zebralight SC600 Mk III HI ... and outthrows the Zebralight (measured 19K lux for the Zebra and 26K lux for the modded DS16). Of course, output declines much more rapidly than the Zebralight though.

CYMac

Newly Enlightened
got it, love it, and hate it, because it is now taking over my Ti3's job, LOL!

Flashlike

Enlightened
I wish they offered it with a neutral tint emitter. I'd buy one in a heart beat.
The tint looks to be on the cool side -- at least according to CYMac's video.

DMS1970

Enlightened
Now that they're out there, what's the first hand thoughts on the UI? I have read a couple conflicting descriptions. If it's hold for 2 sec to bypass the lockout, does it come on at the same level everytime and you have to cycle through the levels to get where you want? I can't watch the video at work...

recDNA

Flashaholic
Would be neat with hi cri and a pocket clip. Maybe an ez white led?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish they offered it with a neutral tint emitter. I'd buy one in a heart beat.
The tint looks to be on the cool side -- at least according to CYMac's video.

The tint looks very blue-ish in the video. I guess it could be that the video just wasn't accurately reproducing the tint though. I've noticed that digital cameras and video recorders don't always reproduce colors accurately, especially with light tints. That being said, I wouldn't want a light with a harshly blue beam tint. I'm sure they will offer a version of the light with neutral or warm tints. The better companies always do, right?

CYMac

Newly Enlightened
The blue-ish tint is just because of the video not setup for that tint color comparison purpose. It is not that blue in reality. It's a very normal white color, I would say it is nowhere near neutral white or an olight kind of white. It's more like a klarus XT11s kind of white. Very natural white, but not warm at all. It's a good light for EDC and defense purpose too, but might not the be the best tint for a comfy night time walk-around purpose. I like neutral white tint or the warm white tint so much (for walking around at night and such),

The tint looks very blue-ish in the video. I guess it could be that the video just wasn't accurately reproducing the tint though. I've noticed that digital cameras and video recorders don't always reproduce colors accurately, especially with light tints. That being said, I wouldn't want a light with a harshly blue beam tint. I'm sure they will offer a version of the light with neutral or warm tints. The better companies always do, right?

recDNA

Flashaholic
I like good color rendition so CRI means more to me than tint. Like 219a is very pink but I still like it.

I also like thermally controlled output step down.

mjpgolf1

Newly Enlightened
No one has really answered about the pocket clip. Are there any suggestions for one that will work with this light. I have found that the lights I have that have no clips have just sat and do not get carried. I really like to carry my light clipped inside my front left pocket and my knife clipped inside my right. So it throws me off to not have a clip. Not to mention that the light gets scratched up at the bottom of my pocket with my keys and such. Any insight on this would be very helpful. I want this light as I love everything about it, but don't want to order another clip less light that ends up sitting unused.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've pulled the trigger on this one too. I personally doubt 700 lumens from a 14500, but anything above 500 will be amazing. Personally, I want to know what it can do with an eneloop too. 330 lumens seems too high, but it will be fun to see.

This light looks like a ground breaker. [emoji106]

Things do happen. I may remind Astrolux SC that is rated beyond 1K lm with a 14500 battery. But it has a massive copper body.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
No one has really answered about the pocket clip. Are there any suggestions for one that will work with this light. I have found that the lights I have that have no clips have just sat and do not get carried. I really like to carry my light clipped inside my front left pocket and my knife clipped inside my right. So it throws me off to not have a clip. Not to mention that the light gets scratched up at the bottom of my pocket with my keys and such. Any insight on this would be very helpful. I want this light as I love everything about it, but don't want to order another clip less light that ends up sitting unused.

Google Fenix flashlight clips. I am sure one of their clips would fit this light. The Zebralight clip for the angle light would fit this light perfectly. Personally, I don't clip my lights to my pockets anymore. I find clipping them using the keychain clip is a more discreet and safer option.