Has anyone tried the Filite LED Energy Saving Light Bulb ?

CKOD

Enlightened
I find the lack of heatsinking to be suspicious. Not much surface area for ~5W of thermal dissipation.

slebans

Enlightened
105 lumens per watt for a $15(US) bulb at 4000K - seems too good to be true. This would make it the highest performing and least expensive bulb on the planet. I would guess it would be another two years before we see a bulb of this efficacy and price.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The US department of energy had an L-Prize competition with a prize of $10 million for the most efficient LED light bulb. The prize was won by Philips and that bulb was 94 lumens per watt.
If Filite is really over 100 lumens per watt they would have collected the $10 million. They did not. So they are BS numbers.
-
If you browse the flashlight sub-forums you would know DX/KD/ebay always overstate their numbers.
Amazon.co.uk carried Filite at one time but have stopped. (probably due to complaints.)
Amazon.com still have the 115V version listed BUT QUOTE 320 LUMENS (not the 520 and 720 lumens of your link).

Filite wants £10.99.
Philips MyVision 929000188701 B22 BC 9 Watt LED Bulb by Philips is £13.56 at Amazon.co.uk (7 reviews)
Philips MasterLED 12W B22 Warm White LED Light Bulb by Philips is £37.99 at Amazon.co.uk (8 reviews)
3rd and 4th from the left. Well I have the 115V screw base version.
Philips-LED-bulbs.jpg

How many bulbs do you need? If it is 1 or 2 grit your teeth and buy a bulb from the big names:- Philips or Osram Sylvania. The 40W equivalent is 450-500 REAL lumens. The 60W equivalent is 800 lumens. (You may come across old stock with as low as 155 lumens.)
If you need more buy one Philips 9W and one Filite and compare before buying more.