Has Your Flashlight Hobby Waned?

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I knew a red headed gal from Scotland who could smoke, drink and cuss like a truck driver. At her home in Glasgow she worked as a prison nurse. She said the inmates called her a hairie willie. I always chuckle from that phrase, here in US a Hairy Willie has an entirely different meaning 😜

Acid87

Enlightened
I knew a red headed gal from Scotland who could smoke, drink and cuss like a truck driver. At her home in Glasgow she worked as a prison nurse. She said the inmates called her a hairie willie. I always chuckle from that phrase, here in US a Hairy Willie has an entirely different meaning 😜
That's where I live, Glasgow is a bit of an madhouse! Hairie Willie isn't that common a saying at all. A saying used by older folk for sure. Saying it nowadays will probably have the same meaning as the US. She no doubt worked in Barlinnie if she worked in the prison.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
She would be in her 60's today.. I remember her saying she worked at the largest and toughest prison in Scotland. Also, I can still smell the cigarettes she smoked, smelled like burning cow dung

Your buddies at the precinct must be envious of your HDS.. Is it permitted for your LE to carry a longer kubotan size flashlights such as Malkoff Hound Dog/MD4?

Acid87

Enlightened
I'll be honest nobody has a clue how much the HDS costs. They all rock little Amazon jobs that come in multipack's!
No rules about carry. I personally prefer the rear button operation rather than a turn head operation.
I've tested positive for COVID today but I'll get a picture of the vest and the HDS. I have a high CRI HDS I might try trade for something different.
She would be in her 60's today.. I remember her saying she worked at the largest and toughest prison in Scotland. Also, I can still smell the cigarettes she smoked, smelled like burning cow dung

Your buddies at the precinct must be envious of your HDS.. Is it permitted for your LE to carry a longer kubotan size flashlights such as Malkoff Hound Dog/MD4?

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
It's been awhile since I posted here on cpf.

my hobby has waned for sure but i'll never give up interest on it.

I still use flashlights regularly at my job but my fancy lights have given way to "duracell" cheapo and disposable lights from Costco. 3 pack for like 20 bucks. You cannot beat that.

last light I picked up was some smallish single AA O-light for my son for his Europe travels recently ... don't think he even brought it.

WmArnold1

Newly Enlightened
I've fallen from Enlightened grace as well. I've EDC'd my 800 lm ZebraLight SC600 since 2011 and I love the 2250 lm Olight Warrior X pro that I snagged in October of 2020. (it's a little big to EDC tho)

Imho, LED technology isn't advancing as fast as many said it would and we've been in a lull since flashlight LED emitter efficacy essentially flat-lined after Cree delivered its' XM-L in 2010 [sigh] Fwiw, I found this thread looking for competitors to the Olight Warrior X3 and Fenix TK20R v2.0, they presumably use the Luminus SFT-70..

2006 Cree XR-E; 251 lm, 4.0 W, 99 lm/W

2009 Cree XP-E; 300 lm, 3.5 W, 122 lm/W ~ 20% lm bump

2010 Cree XM-L; 1000 lm, 7.5 W, 160 lm/W ~ 333% bump !!!

2012 Cree XM-L2; 1052 lm, 10 W, 175 lm/W ~ 20% lm bump

2020 Cree XM-L3; 1860 lm, 17 W, 187 lm/W ~ 77% lm bump

2022 Luminus SFT-70; 3200 lm, 31 W, 162 lm/W ~ 72% lm..

Bottom line; lumens are rising about 158 lm/yr, but folks like me are patiently waiting for another Efficacy quantum-leap. Imagine flashlights with an Efficacy of, say, 300 lm/W; the SFT-70 would emit 9300 lm with no additional heat-sinking, 18650 lights the size of my SC600 would emit up to 2250 lm, and we would enjoy longer run-times at the lumen levels we normally use too

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
This is kinda one of those threads where you comment once and even though you'd like to comment again you kinda answered the question with your first post. "Has your hobby waned" is a yes or no, yet it could also be where conversation between members keeps it going.

I say all that in order to set the stage for a comment about post 69. Me, personally am kinda glad things settled down in the lumen wars. I was exhausted trying to keep up with the flashion industry promises of more, more, more only to be putting out more of the same just wrapped up in another round tube. Since then the focus has been on better tints and color rendition. The masses may not notice that but it gives the hobbyist something to be excited about.

If one is a lumens chaser things have gotten kinda boring. Meanwhile that new kid the SST has made quite the splash. I was a big fan of the XP-G2 and still am. But the SST 20 was reason for adding a few products to my quiver.

One thing I've always longed for is a lighting tool where it is fairly bright but has awesome runtime as it's selling point. That is one reason I got excited about the SST20. It has a beam where it appears brighter than numbers might suggest so with a conservative output it can still obtain a nice long runtime. Example would be a group buy that was a Malkoff M61 module dialed back enough to be called 4 L's but with the SST20 it looks almost as bright as a P60 while sipping from its source of electricity. (The M61N4L)

Last edited:

wweiss

Enlightened
This is kinda one of those threads where you comment once and even though you'd like to comment again you kinda answered the question with your first post. "Has your hobby waned" is a yes or no, yet it could also be where conversation between members keeps it going.

I say all that in order to set the stage for a comment about post 69. Me, personally am kinda glad things settled down in the lumen wars. I was exhausted trying to keep up with the flashion industry promises of more, more, more only to be putting out more of the same just wrapped up in another round tube. Since then the focus has been on better tints and color rendition. The masses may not notice that but it gives the hobbyist something to be excited about.

If one is a lumens chaser things have gotten kinda boring. Meanwhile that new kid the SST has made quite the splash. I was a big fan of the XP-G2 and still am. But the SST 20 was reason for adding a few products to my quiver.

One thing I've always longed for is a lighting tool where it is fairly bright but has awesome runtime as it's selling point. That is one reason I got excited about the SST20. It has a beam where it appears brighter than numbers might suggest so with a conservative output it can still obtain a nice long runtime. Example would be a group buy that was a Malkoff M61 module dialed back enough to be called 4 L's but with the SST20 it looks almost as bright as a P60 while sipping from its source of electricity. (The M61N4L)
Agreed. The same outputs we have now, but with significantly longer run from the same available energy would be not only a game changer for (pocket) conservation but may also help in emergencies.

WmArnold1

Newly Enlightened

Post 69 was interrupted; I just finished it :)

I agree, chasing incremental lumens is boring when lm/W doesn't improve significantly; it becomes a heat-sink game. Output can increase with reduced size and/or longer runtimes at given lumen working levels if efficacy improves. I'm a little disappointed that lm/W hasn't improved more than it has in a decade

Sabrewulf

Newly Enlightened
Nope.

I rotate my hobbies every month or so.

Knives. Flashlights. Jeep. Home stereo. Jeep stereo. Offroading. Camping. Other EDC. Air rifles.

Since I rotate, the Jun and excitement is always there.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I thought I was over the whole flashlight hobby, but I've recently found myself back on this forum a bunch. I fought it at first but now I'm trying to just relax and enjoy lights that suit my needs. What's funny is that I don't care much about latest and greatest at all. Brightness isn't a concern as lights have been more than bright enough for my uses since day one, and I'm not particularly interested in what's next. I do however keep going back to old lights that I had and sold. As luck would have it, most of them have been discontinued. I've been bugging people that I've sold lights to, asking if they still have such and such laying around not getting use and would they like to sell it back to me. If you're one of those people I apologize! Anywho, flashlights are useful tools as well as a relatively harmless hobby. On top of all of that there are a LOAD of great people on this forum. So right now the hobby is waxing instead of waning. Now I'm off to the WTB section to ask if anyone has a black E01 they can part with. 😜

I no longer have any black E01's, but I do have one in gold, virtually unused (and by that I mean less than five minutes of runtime, and never carried). The light has been sitting in climate controlled storage for several years. Send me a private message if you're interested.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I no longer have any black E01's, but I do have one in gold, virtually unused (and by that I mean less than five minutes of runtime, and never carried). The light has been sitting in climate controlled storage for several years. Send me a private message if you're interested.
I think I found a black one so I'm good to go. Thank you anyway. 👍🏼

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
To some extent -- yes. It is hard to find anything that would impress me to the extent that would trigger a purchase. For example, Modlite used to manufacture a 5K head with a better CRI. When I finally decided to make it a go it turned out that they have phased out this model. So good looks and good EDC is no more.

Flashlightmaster2021

Newly Enlightened
I've not posted on this sight for quite some time. Though I still like my flashlights and EDC,....I found that I lost interest in the hobby. I guess this can happen with any hobby, really,...but I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen with this specific hobby? Now,.....I realize that anyone who has had this happen...such as myself....may not even SEE this post! hehe

So, what is the reason? Changing directions in life, of course,....but I think I realized that I wasn't really interested in the "continued battle to find the brightest light I can".....which often requires a new set of batteries and chargers. My last purchased flashlight, an OLIGHT Seeker 2, I only got it because of the magnetic USB connector.

I really have no idea what the current "best and brightest" is out there. I may pop in from time to time, I suppose.
I still enjoy mine and i get a very cheap one every two to 3 months. After while is alot money wasted. But I love my lights and always have a small head lamp, and Thrunite t1 EDC AND Thrunite t2 on me. Its pointes less to hoard flash lights. Save your money money and invest in divided stocks or other stock so you can grow your money.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I still enjoy mine and i get a very cheap one every two to 3 months. After while is alot money wasted. But I love my lights and always have a small head lamp, and Thrunite t1 EDC AND Thrunite t2 on me. Its pointes less to hoard flash lights. Save your money money and invest in divided stocks or other stock so you can grow your money.
Leave plenty of investment dollars for precious metals. Ironically, I don't mean gold. Though, worth having some of that around. I mean mainly junk silver.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, but then I changed the batteries.

Seriously though, I started thinking about death decluttering, minimalism/optimism, and questioning why I was really doing things.

And at the end of the day, I wasn't collecting, I was hoarding - or at least buying a short-lived emotional fix, rather than the tools I kept telling myself they are.