Have new Terralux 220 Lightstar...6-D Maglite (w/ Xenon) coming. Keep which one?

TimEggers

Newly Enlightened
Hello and first thank you for such an informative place.

I have a little "problem" and would like some advice. First I'm looking for a general home use light (less than $50) that will work well outdoors for monitoring my grounds (about 2 acres, rectangle in shape). Its mostly lawn/low pasture with timber surrounding that. I want something that I can view the timber line with (beyond the small pasture, maybe 80-100 yards) and still have the option of seeing things closer.

I have the 2-D Maglite with standard bulb and this light almost does the job (if this gives you an indication of what level of performance I'm looking for) but want something brighter and better. I'm not concerned with light size (I'm a big guy) or battery size needed. I do want good run time and enough light to meet my needs, nothing extra.

I ordered the Terralux 220 Lightstar based on its lumen ratings but after more research am unsure this light will meet my distance viewing needs. So I ordered a 6-D Maglite (with Xenon bulb) to get beam adjust ability at a similar lumen rating.

Which light should I keep? Which will offer me the viewing performance I'm after? I'm leaning towards the 6-D Maglite, what do you think?

Again thank you for any advice you can give.

Helstar

Newly Enlightened
I would say try them both out and see which one you like better. You can also mod the Maglite with some LEDS as well. I would test them both, then I would keep them both.

TimEggers

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the response. Both budget and necessity dictate that I' don't need to keep both. Will neither of the lights offer all the performance I'm after?

I just don't need another extra flashlight (I've already got a drawer of smaller lights).

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about sending them both back and buying a bright LED drop-in for your 2D mag, as a 3rd option?

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just don't need another extra flashlight

Blasphemy!

You'll get a ribbing around here for that one Tim. Welcome to CPF. The Mag light will more than likely give you the performance and throw your looking for. If it still isn't bright enough there are a number of simple LED modifications you can purchase to enhance its performance. I'm not an expert on these mods but there is tons of information here.

Again Welcome.

Bill

TimEggers

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for the warm welcomes. Yes I knew I'd get some flack for "not needing another light" comment. :D

Zatoichi are there any decent LED drop-ins that will maintain the adjustable focus of the Maglite while significantly boosting the overall performance?

I was going to regulate the 2-D Maglite to my tool box while having the new light available for grab and go usability. (Typically to investigate out door noises, or to chase down a loose house pet).

I am open to other suggestions but am really looking for a single light that will meet my needs without the need to carry/track down/use several different units.

Edit:

I just took a look at the Malkoff drop-in solutions and am very impressed. Perhaps I just need dress up my old (but good) 2-D Maglite?

Last edited:

TimEggers

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased the Malkoff LED drop-in for my 2-D Maglite. The more I researched it the more it seemed to be what I was looking for. Seems to have great reviews too. I went ahead and included the pre-cut reflector so that I'll always have the option to revert to stock configuration should I ever need too.

I'd like to thank all you guys for the help. I hope I like the new configuration. Now I'm curious as to what batteries will best operate this little beast! :twothumbs

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry I didn't notice your previous post. The drop-ins in my 3C and 4D Mags still allow them to focus. Not sure about the Malkoff ones but I imagine you've found out by now. From everything I've read, the Malkoff shouldn't dissapoint. :thumbsup:

TimEggers

Newly Enlightened
Sorry I didn't notice your previous post. The drop-ins in my 3C and 4D Mags still allow them to focus. Not sure about the Malkoff ones but I imagine you've found out by now. From everything I've read, the Malkoff shouldn't dissapoint. :thumbsup:

I'm hopeful. The order has been processed and I've already recieved a shipping notice via USPS. Hopefully in a few days I'll have a new toy to play with!:twothumbs

The Malkoff should still allow for focus ability as well. Should (I hope) meet my needs beautifully all the while still using my ol' tusty Mag 2-D cell.:D

It was at the upper edge of my budget but I had some extra holiday money, and didn't see the need to purchase another light (her we go again:sssh:) when I could make my existing light do what I'm after.

I did return the Terralux 220 without even trying it (to avoid return shipping charges) and will return the 6-D Mag. My 2-D with Malkoff drop-in should meet my needs nicely. Now i just have to research rechargeable battery sources...

(never ending isn't it?) :sigh:

TimEggers

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to post a follow-up and say that I have received my Malkoff Device drop-in and it works quite well. In fact I decided to purchase a 3-D Maglite for the drop-in (because I found a silver one like all my other Mag's) to get the best from this drop-in.

Initial tests are quite positive. I am quite impressed with the throw (talking like a flashoholic already:grin2:)and flood. While I can adjust the focus I don't see a need to because the light throws and floods very well. The white tint is also a very welcome change from my previous blue LED bulb.

I was hesitant about spending so much on a lighting solution, but after seeing it in action I have no regrets. This set-up meets my needs very well. I highly recommend this device for anyone looking to get the most out of a Maglite but can't/don't want to do heavy modifications.

After seeing the 6-D in person and holding it I felt it was way to large for my uses, now with the Malkoff and 3-D I get a smaller more portable light with lots of power and a very respectable battery run life rating (yet to test obviously).

Works great for spotting the timber line while also flooding the lawn. Really shows how versatile the Mag can be with some power under the hood!

Twice the cost of the flashlight but 10 times the performance. Highly recommended!

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pleased to hear it worked out for you. :twothumbs The only thing holding me back from getting a Malkoff for my Surefire is that the shipping and customs charges will double it's cost. :sigh: I'll break down eventually though...