Have you chosen one brand's power-tools platform?

Bosch was, to my knowledge, unique in their honesty/accuracy regarding nominal battery voltage when smaller "12V" tools (truly 10.8V) hit the market 10+ years ago. Their batteries were badged 10.8V when other equally high end brands read 12V. Bosch eventually relabelled with 12V due to losing sales when customers thought the others brands were more powerful. I struck gold at Lowe's when they were selling the "10.8V" batts for $10 (normally $40) to make room for identical ones marked 12V. There were 4 left, and I snagged them all.:cool:

Fuzzywuzzies

Enlightened
As a DIY'er I buy what meets the need at my price point. Lowes had a great sale a few years back on Metabo/HPT hammer drill and impact driver that included 2-18V/3Ah and 2-36V/18V 5Ah batteries in the package for $250. Eventually will get the trim router.

I still use the corded Bosch 1587 jigsaw, Skil Mag 77 circular saw and Porter Cable 691 router.

What I'm pondering is a 18ga brad nailer but bought the Metabo when the Senco went on vacation. The bump fire is nice in certain applications. Battery nail guns IDK yet, the air hose sucks though!
Interesting. Bump fire is sadly illegal here. 😢
Those Bosch jigsaws are very nice.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a DIY'er I buy what meets the need at my price point. Lowes had a great sale a few years back on Metabo/HPT hammer drill and impact driver that included 2-18V/3Ah and 2-36V/18V 5Ah batteries in the package for $250. Eventually will get the trim router.

I still use the corded Bosch 1587 jigsaw, Skil Mag 77 circular saw and Porter Cable 691 router.

What I'm pondering is a 18ga brad nailer but bought the Metabo when the Senco went on vacation. The bump fire is nice in certain applications. Battery nail guns IDK yet, the air hose sucks though!
View attachment 63259
Seems expensive, but for applications where portability is needed to power an air nailer or such?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Bosch was, to my knowledge, unique in their honesty/accuracy regarding nominal battery voltage when smaller "12V" tools (truly 10.8V) hit the market 10+ years ago. Their batteries were badged 10.8V when other equally high end brands read 12V. Bosch eventually relabelled with 12V due to losing sales when customers thought the others brands were more powerful. I struck gold at Lowe's when they were selling the "10.8V" batts for $10 (normally $40) to make room for identical ones marked 12V. There were 4 left, and I snagged them all.:cool:
Nice score!
Sadly, folks tend to prefer sweet, sweet lies over bare-naked honesty.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Feel flashlight manufactures are missing out not having a very high performance flashlight using a higher voltage powertool battery.
Ones from tool companies are ok, but some really interesting things could happen plugging in a 20V battery that has many 21700s' in it.

Think multi-emitter searchlight from your fav. brand or even Malkoff
using a Milwaukee/DeWalt or Ryobi battery

Not impossible ^^^

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. Bump fire is sadly illegal here. 😢
Those Bosch jigsaws are very nice.

For trim work I didn't feel bump fire capability was necessary. Did some and realized that this does have a place.

That jig saw has been a wonderful tool. :)

Seems expensive, but for applications where portability is needed to power an air nailer or such?

I use a 20# sized bottle for interior trim. That thing is nearly as heavy as a small compressor though. That little bottle looks good! The guys on YT with their battery trim nailers don't seem to speedy. The Metabo is so-so and switching to a DeWalt or Milwaukee is cost prohibitive for me. The nailer is used maybe 3-4 times a year now for projects so the urgency to buy toys isn't reasonable. For tool nuts the joy of having a variety but not for me.

My neighbor is all Ryobi, nice to have a single system that does it all.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dug these out of the depths of a container while looking for some other stuff a spell back. I may have the wall warts somewhere. (Those will be "fun" to try and find with so many accumulated over the years.)
cordless-November 10, 2022-191524762 - Copy.jpg
cordless-November 10, 2022-191619270 - Copy.jpg

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ryobi for me. Love the versatility and options. Only problem is that they discontinued their 24-volt line (The 40-volt was being introduced, but it was not yet available in my small town, so I had to "settle" for the 24-volt. Didn't realize they were going to discontinue the 24-volt series, so can't find new, replacement batteries.)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Ryobi for me. Love the versatility and options. Only problem is that they discontinued their 24-volt line (The 40-volt was being introduced, but it was not yet available in my small town, so I had to "settle" for the 24-volt. Didn't realize they were going to discontinue the 24-volt series, so can't find new, replacement batteries.)
Ironically that's the one brand constantly touting how their batteries today, will power their tools going back to 1996. Just as long as it's not 24v.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It seems I've found a hidden advantage of not buying tools from one of the three biggest Pro-grade brands out there....

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

I have off brand batteries that use 21700s' and they work perfectly in my tools and the factory charger.

Didn't watch the vid, but that guy looks like a schmork..

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Didn't watch the vid, but that guy looks like a schmork..
He's actually highly respected in the tool testing community on YT. Massive amount of subscribers. I used to be one. Key words being: "used to be."

His testing just isn't realistic. He only tests new power-tools. Never revisits any of his old videos to see if said power-tools have held up. (Kinda important when it comes to cheaper brands.) And, if you discover an important issue that he didn't, mention it in his comments section; you get a robotic "Thanks for your feedback" dismissive reply.