Have you chosen one brand's power-tools platform?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
you young punks today with choices in my day all we had was makita or black and decker i think they was 7.2 volts lol
I had 12 volt. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘. The battery would last for about 5 screws, take hours to charge then after 25 charges, quit taking a charge. The charge would store about 3 days so you had to keep it plugged in. No new battery because black & decker had a new model out with a new battery....
They sucked! I just used a corded drill.

Adding a Ryobi 18 volt 5-1/2" skil saw soon. I tore apart a shed floor and will be cutting up the rotten wood in burn barrel sized pieces.

ghostguy6

Enlightened
He's actually highly respected in the tool testing community on YT. Massive amount of subscribers. I used to be one. Key words being: "used to be."

His testing just isn't realistic. He only tests new power-tools. Never revisits any of his old videos to see if said power-tools have held up. (Kinda important when it comes to cheaper brands.) And, if you discover an important issue that he didn't, mention it in his comments section; you get a robotic "Thanks for your feedback" dismissive reply.
In all fairness sometimes he does add an older tool into the mix. You have to remember it is extremely time consuming to revisit those tools. Like us I am sure he has a favourite brand and sticks with them exclusively around the farm. This would make it impossible to do an "apples to apples" comparison over a long period of time. Lets face it your not going to use a substandard product when you already have something better. He also mentions in some videos that for items that survived the initial testing are often sold off after the tests to help fund further videos. He pays out of his pocket for the products, he is not sponsored. He torture tests the products to failure to give a sum what realistic use but he clearly states in his videos it is his opinion and it is up to you to make an informed decision. His videos usually now end with the phrase " You really get what you pay for"

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Technically it's true he's not sponsored. But I lost quite a bit of respect for him when he did that screwdriver video, and highlighted the Linus Tech. Tips screwdriver on his channel. Which wouldn't be a bad thing, except for the scandal LTT was involved in quite awhile back regarding certain scumbag practices. It did end up looking as though he made the video just to show off apparently how good their screwdriver is. And yes, he did make a previous screwdriver video not too far back. I ended up with the Milwaukee screwdriver set from that other video. Later adding the Craftsman screwdriver set from it too. Can't have just one set of screwdrivers.

Also, I get it. It can be hard revisiting certain products. My main YouTube channel is fully independent. I buy everything I test out. But there's really no point in torture testing tools from Budget brands until they break. It proves nothing. We know up front that they're not designed to last as long as tools from Makita, Milwaukee, or the higher-end DeWALT models. Thing is, we pay less for those budget tools due to that. I've mentioned this before, if I was a contractor or a very wealthy man, you'd open up my giant tool-shed and just see a sea of red.... All Milwaukee. Got Milwaukee tastes, but a Ryobi budget.

(Though despite the costs usually involved with Milwaukee, I will never regret buying their lamb-skin lined work gloves. Expensive but so incredibly worth it! Bought a pair after my Kobalt blue work gloves literally started disintegrating on me after 5 years of sitting in the trunk of my car. Got used lightly on two occasions.)

Speaking of a Red brand.... Did discover recently that DeWalt's excellent, corded, palm-sander which is Made in Mexico is the very same model as Craftsman's. Only real difference being price, and the lack of variable speed options on the Craftsman version; which is also made in Mexico. Yeah, that was kinda eye-opening.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I went to home depot and bought a 5-1/2" skil saw and when I got home the next door neighbor saw the box and asked me if I'd like to have hers. At first I hesitated but she insisted. She took me to her shed and told me "take that bag home with you".
IMG_5995.jpeg

That's the bag and it's contents.
- flashlight
-recipricating saw (blades not shown)
-drill
-5-1/2" skil saw
-2 Ah battery.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find this channel a good one for product testing- Torque Test Channel:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
That P704 flashlight in the bag is no longer made. That's too bad becuse it's like a small version of those 6 volt lanterns.
IMG_5996.jpeg

I know I know, it's 'only' 130 lumens but if you recall a 6 volt lantern puts out a good bright beam at what? 60? So with it's supplied 2Ah battery it's great for an emergency light. And no battery leak issue.

I'll probably give that back to my neighbor and buy another at eBay.

ghostguy6

Enlightened
I went to home depot and bought a 5-1/2" skil saw and when I got home the next door neighbor saw the box and asked me if I'd like to have hers. At first I hesitated but she insisted. She took me to her shed and told me "take that bag home with you".
I really thought that was going to take a turn there........:ROFLMAO:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I find this channel a good one for product testing- Torque Test Channel:
Agreed! Stumbled onto that channel on my own awhile back. If it wasn't for them, I never would have found out that there's a serious issue with the Gen. 4 compact Milwaukee Impact wrench. I think they've gone through 4 or 5 of them by now.

ghostguy6

Enlightened
Technically it's true he's not sponsored. But I lost quite a bit of respect for him when he did that screwdriver video, and highlighted the Linus Tech. Tips screwdriver on his channel. Which wouldn't be a bad thing, except for the scandal LTT was involved in quite awhile back regarding certain scumbag practices. It did end up looking as though he made the video just to show off apparently how good their screwdriver is. And yes, he did make a previous screwdriver video not too far back. I ended up with the Milwaukee screwdriver set from that other video. Later adding the Craftsman screwdriver set from it too. Can't have just one set of screwdrivers.

Also, I get it. It can be hard revisiting certain products. My main YouTube channel is fully independent. I buy everything I test out. But there's really no point in torture testing tools from Budget brands until they break. It proves nothing. We know up front that they're not designed to last as long as tools from Makita, Milwaukee, or the higher-end DeWALT models. Thing is, we pay less for those budget tools due to that. I've mentioned this before, if I was a contractor or a very wealthy man, you'd open up my giant tool-shed and just see a sea of red.... All Milwaukee. Got Milwaukee tastes, but a Ryobi budget.
Funny you mention that video, I was actually quite disappointed in that one. I really wish he was able to due a duration test to give the gears a bit of a break in period. I have a Snap On version of the Williams ratcheting screwdriver. After a little break in period it is by far the smoothest screwdriver I have ever used. The same goes for some of my ratchets.
I do think the torture testing has some value. It is nice to know what it takes to destroy the product even if no sane person would ever abuse it that much. Sometimes it just nice to watch a POS tool go up in a poof of smoke.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
....Sometimes it just nice to watch a POS tool go up in a poof of smoke.
True. But I did notice that he rarely ends up reviewing tools that are an absolute Piece Of $#&%. Varying levels of quality much of the time. It's very rare for anything on his channel to fail completely soon or midway into testing.

He did do a non-review video recently. I saw him using a DeWALT drill and a right-angle battery-operated screwdriver from an obscure brand called "NoCry." (Yes, actual name of the brand. Wasn't able to I.D. anything else in that video.)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
From one of my previous posts above:
Here's the video testing several sub-$100, corded, palm-sanders.
The one that revealed that the Craftsman version is a no-frills, base trim of the DeWALT. Both brands owned by the same parent company (Stanley Black&Decker).

Also, just wanted to say I'm personally glad that this parent company didn't let a classic American tool brand like Craftsman go to complete $#&%. Yes, the quality is quite a bit lower than it was generations ago. But from what I've seen, you do get a good level of quality from tools carrying the Craftsman name today. Not great. But good. Definitely, the brand has fared far better than most of the classic brands from when grand-pa was growing up in America.

leeholaaho

Newly Enlightened
Lowes was having Craftsman's stuff for a low price, the V20 stuff. Works fine so far. They have a small battery powered fan that only gets 5 star reviews. It is great, the 5 stars are deserved. The bigger fan not so much. I bought another little one for the hot nights the power goes off. Kept me from heat stroke working on car engine.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
View attachment 63445
That's the bag and it's contents.
- flashlight
-recipricating saw (blades not shown)
-drill
-5-1/2" skil saw
-2 Ah battery.
That's the same set I got for $40 at a garage sale, except it had 2 very small batteries. I like it, but it could use an impact driver.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Technically it's true he's not sponsored. But I lost quite a bit of respect for him when he did that screwdriver video, and highlighted the Linus Tech. Tips screwdriver on his channel.

Speaking of a Red brand.... Did discover recently that DeWalt's excellent, corded, palm-sander which is Made in Mexico is the very same model as Craftsman's. Only real difference being price, and the lack of variable speed options on the Craftsman version; which is also made in Mexico. Yeah, that was kinda eye-opening.
I like project farm. I like what he does. I watch his videos and make opinions.

Dewalt and Craftsman are under the same parent company. I learned that from this thread.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I like project farm. I like what he does. I watch his videos and make opinions.
Hey, won't lie.... I've bought a handful of tools that PF has reviewed over the years. Ironically, not the ones that he has crowned as winners. Performance is very important. But if it comes at a very high price, that right there can be an issue. Watching his vids. beginning to end, lets me isolate the genuine value options. (Which he only sometimes mentions at the end of his vids.)

I do like Craftsman. But in his battery-powered chainsaws video, the Kobalt was less expensive, brushless (brushed for the Craftsman), more powerful, and just performed overall better. When you're comparing budget brands, that type of info. is much more important than "Here's the absolute best one out of all of them."

Edit: Typo.

Last edited:

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, won't lie.... I've bought a handful of tools that PF has reviewed over the years. Ironically, not the ones that he has crowned as winners. Performance is very important. But if it comes at a very high price, that right there can be an issue. Watching his vids. beginning to end, lets me isolate the genuine value options. (Which he only sometimes mentions at the end of his vids.)

I do like Craftsman. But in his battery-powered chainsaws video, the Kobalt was less expensive, brushless (brushed for the Craftsman), more powerful, and just performed overall better. When you're comparing budget brands, that type of info. is much more important than "Here's the absolute best one out of all of them."

Edit: Typo.
I agree 100%. I usually buy the one that performs the best and isn't crazy expensive. I watched the Chainsaw video.

You know, I was going to buy Irwin angle cutters because he says they perform above their price point, but I saw Kobalt and I saw a video of someone walking into Lowe's with a hammer and got it replaced with no problem, so I went with that.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I agree 100%. I usually buy the one that performs the best and isn't crazy expensive. I watched the Chainsaw video.

You know, I was going to buy Irwin angle cutters because he says they perform above their price point, but I saw Kobalt and I saw a video of someone walking into Lowe's with a hammer and got it replaced with no problem, so I went with that.
Honestly, I've been seriously considering switching from Ryobi to another brand. Made a long list of contenders, researched all of them.... and was legit surprised when Kobalt ended up as the best overall option for me to switch to. Comparable to Ryobi's better power-tools (the ones in their One+HP line). But Kobalt's have better performance for right around the same price. Just an increase in power. It's not huge. But there is clearly a noticeable increase.

Solid warranty. And yeah, just walk into any Lowes and they'll swap it out for you if it's broken. Plus, their battery design is better than Ryobi's. Yeah.... extremely tempted to give away my few Ryobi tools, batteries, and charger to my best friend. He loves Ryobi. Just seems that many of their power-tools feel underpowered. And, that's coming from guys on YouTube reviewing Ryobi tools who love the brand.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, I've been seriously considering switching from Ryobi to another brand. Made a long list of contenders, researched all of them.... and was legit surprised when Kobalt ended up as the best overall option for me to switch to. Comparable to Ryobi's better power-tools (the ones in their One+HP line). But Kobalt's have better performance for right around the same price. Just an increase in power. It's not huge. But there is clearly a noticeable increase.

Solid warranty. And yeah, just walk into any Lowes and they'll swap it out for you if it's broken. Plus, their battery design is better than Ryobi's. Yeah.... extremely tempted to give away my few Ryobi tools, batteries, and charger to my best friend. He loves Ryobi. Just seems that many of their power-tools feel underpowered. And, that's coming from guys on YouTube reviewing Ryobi tools who love the brand.
+

crom, the brand doesn't matter that much.
Being a brushless tool does matter alot, alot

I don't mean to diss anyone's brushed tool, but if you need a new tool, get it brushless.
If your favorite brand doesn't make it brushless, go for a different brand that does.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
+

crom, the brand doesn't matter that much.
I'm afraid I have to respectfully disagree with you there. Same parent company, TTI, that owns HART (bargain basement, Wal-Mart exclusive brand) also owns Milwaukee. There is a huge difference among those brands when it comes to performance. You pay a huge premium for Milwaukee power-tools. But, for the most part, you get a premium level of performance, output, and especially torque. With the exception of literally one premium tool HART was allowed to have, for a somewhat reasonable price (impact wrench), you're not going to get even a bit of parts sharing among those two brands.

TTI also owns RIDGID. When RIDGID's Octane line of tools was discovered to be as good as Milwaukee's but at a slightly lower price, oh no; can't allow that! TTI cancelled/discontinued RIDGID's Octane line. This was fairly recently. With TTI, you have HART (decent), Ryobi (good), RIDGID (better), Milwaukee (best). It's the same thing with other parent companies of various other tool brands. They all make sure there's a difference in performance based on how much consumers are willing to pay.

As far as comparing some of the better, budget brands; you can see a difference. With Ryobi vs. Kobalt, the latter just offers tools with increased power and performance. Again, not by a huge difference. But still a significant one. And, I mean an apples-to-apples comparison of tools offered by both brands.
Being a brushless tool does matter alot, alot

I don't mean to diss anyone's brushed tool, but if you need a new tool, get it brushless.
If your favorite brand doesn't make it brushless, go for a different brand that does.
I completely agree with you there. Ironically, everything Kobalt makes is brushless.