Have you chosen one brand's power-tools platform?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Metabo is in a confusing situation now.
Hitachi Power Tools (HPT) bought Metabo in 2015. Koki, a North American investment firm then bought the Hitachi Power Tools division in 2017 and fused the lines in 2018 to be "Metabo HPT".

The weird naming convention comes from conditions in the deal about Hitachi, an old and proud company, having legal last say over anything sold with their name branded on it, even after the sale of their power tool line. To avoid issues there, we get Metabo HPT in part of the world, and "HiKoki" in another part of the world, but they're all the same tools.

From all reports, the quality of the tools did not diminish any (at least, any more than they had after the German glory days, which were long past by the time Hitachi had bought them anyway).

There's no more Metabo, just Metabo HPT now.
Thank you! Apparently I was more confused about the naming situation than I realized. Really appreciate the help.

iacchus

Enlightened
They're both made all over, like most brands now. Makita, Dewalt, Milwaukee, Bosch, all of 'em are built all over now.

Looking into it a bit more, it seems that there is still a Legacy "Metabo" brand that is distinct from Metabo HTP. I haven't seen them for sale anywhere in years, though.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
They're both made all over, like most brands now. Makita, Dewalt, Milwaukee, Bosch, all of 'em are built all over now.
Watched a review on Project Farm a few hours ago. A certain DeWALT product said "Made in China, with additional components from...."

And, I kid you not, there was an actual list of literally 4 or 5 more Asian nations included on the box. :oops:

How DeWALT got all of those different components to work together properly, I have no clue!

PaladinNO

Enlightened
I hope for a quick reply on this one: I am in the market for a corded tiger saw / reciprocating saw / sawzall (whatever the difference even is, if any).

I have a few models picked out (prices in roughly equivalent USD, without shipping):
- DeWalt DWE305PK, 1100 W (~170 USD)
- Makita JR3051TK, 1200 W (~160 USD)
- Makita JR3070CT, 1510 W (~270 USD)
- Bosch Blue GSA 120, 1200 W (new model) (~220 USD)
- Bosch Blue GSA 1300, 1300 W (older model) (~270 USD)

This tool will be used very sporadic, so I'm not sure I need one of the more "heavy-duty" models, even though I really want the Bosch GSA 120...

Thing is, one E-tailer got the DeWalt listed as a display unit on sale right now - just a single one - for ~120 USD.
Should I just jump on it? I expect it will be sold *snaps fingers* like that.

The DeWalt DWE305PK is the very first model of this type of tool I looked at, and it seems to fit my needs just fine.
Will mostly be used to cut down branches (I'm not a chainsaw man) and cut them to length to fit in our woodburning stove.

EDIT:
The DWE305PK display unit is gone.

Last edited:

Reagan

Newly Enlightened
I choose DeWalt because my brother works there, and will just buy and pay for whatever my wife and I need lol

He also gets to borrow stuff - he's bringing a chainsaw this week for some light work around the yard. I will say that, barring the connection, the convenience of everything using the same batteries is nice.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I choose DeWalt because my brother works there, and will just buy and pay for whatever my wife and I need lol

He also gets to borrow stuff - he's bringing a chainsaw this week for some light work around the yard. I will say that, barring the connection, the convenience of everything using the same batteries is nice.
I'd standardize on DeWALT too if I could get their tools at a nice Employee discount. :)

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
@PaladinNO , I was kind of hoping someone else would answer.

I don't know that you need a huge motor for a sawzall. I think you usually want to use the right blade.

Probably get the one you want so you don't regret it.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Way I tell wife and son regarding sharing work responsibilities at home:

I fixed the septic drain pipe (though I did teach wife how to use plumbing snake to clear obstructions before replacing broken pipe), added power storage with solar, repaired electrical system components, built a deck and carport, maintain the wood stove, repair broken furniture and stuff, negotiate online websites that seem to confound wife from proceeding (thankfully son is taking that over), repair tires, fix electric scooter, respond to alerts from the dogs (and now turkeys).

Since that kind of work would cost maybe $100/hour and their cleaning the floor is maybe $20/hour, I get to perform one fifth the work that they do, and the tools invested enable that capability.

Few days ago, replaced a wooden leg on an old outdoor table. Used a Stanley brace (with adapter to hold quarter inch bits) and a Stanley hand powered drill; both made in England decades ago. Brace allows precise torque and speed dealing with old, hard wood and worn screws. Eggbeater drill was probably quicker to use than pulling out electric drill, at least for our situation.

Way I tell wife and son regarding sharing work responsibilities at home:

I fixed the septic drain pipe (though I did teach wife how to use plumbing snake to clear obstructions before replacing broken pipe), added power storage with solar, repaired electrical system components, built a deck and carport, maintain the wood stove, repair broken furniture and stuff, negotiate online websites that seem to confound wife from proceeding (thankfully son is taking that over), repair tires, fix electric scooter, respond to alerts from the dogs (and now turkeys).

Since that kind of work would cost maybe $100/hour and their cleaning the floor is maybe $20/hour, I get to perform one fifth the work that they do, and the tools invested enable that capability.

Few days ago, replaced a wooden leg on an old outdoor table. Used a Stanley brace (with adapter to hold quarter inch bits) and a Stanley hand powered drill; both made in England decades ago. Brace allows precise torque and speed dealing with old, hard wood and worn screws. Eggbeater drill was probably quicker to use than pulling out electric drill, at least for our situation.
That encourages your son to learn more skills, therefore, increasing his worth per hour. Excellent parenting. (y)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
YouTube finally put something interesting on my Recommendations page. Breakdown of what folks will pay to standardize on certain battery platforms, of certain brands. With an emphasis on the most common of power-tools. Some very eye-opening math, indeed:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
That encourages your son to learn more skills, therefore, increasing his worth per hour. Excellent parenting. (y)
Yes, for the sake of brevity I did not acknowledge subsidiary roles son and wife performed in a number of those projects.

Also called in a friend with rotary hammer and electric jackhammer to bust up some concrete for the septic pipe job. They were 'mature' tools. Thinking they were Bosch, and Very useful for the task.

ghostguy6

Enlightened
YouTube finally put something interesting on my Recommendations page. Breakdown of what folks will pay to standardize on certain battery platforms, of certain brands. With an emphasis on the most common of power-tools. Some very eye-opening math, indeed:

I'm surprised he didn't include Dewalt. That comparison is fine for some tools but when you add the fact that you may need to get into the specialty tools, well then you might as well have started with a more pro brand anyways rather than buying 2 or more systems.
Also I am so glad he didnt have that stupid talking bear avatar in this video. Its the reason I unsubscribed from him in the first place.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Nearly 10 years ago now I bought a 40V brushless mower from Greenworks,, it's been great and I beat the tar out of it.

So today I found myself looking at their 24V tools, probably shouldn't have
anyway, the battery pack uses 6 cells instead of 5 for like DeWalt / Milwaukee ect..

Wanted to check a price on Amazon and I see they were giving me another free 30-day trial of Prime..
Got caught up in the moment and this will be delivered tomorrow for $129 + tax

1240 in.-lbs.

The battery is twelve 18650s' @ 25V fully charged (guessing similar to a 18V 5~6Ah battery pack in Wh)
I didn't entirely need a new drill :geek:

Latest posts