Have you chosen one brand's power-tools platform?

iacchus

Enlightened
I'm done watching tool review comparisons on YouTube where they take a cheap brand new power-tool, then compare it to something like a Makita, Milwaukee, or one of the higher-end DeWALT models.

It is so disgustingly misleading. The guys making those type of comparison videos know full well that cheap budget power-tools work great.... When they're brand new! A year down the road, that bargain-basement priced drill is going to be in a landfill. Meanwhile a tool from any of the above named three is going to easily be going strong.

Yes, there are warranties. But the trend seems to be emphasis on the low price. Every shill reviewer on YouTube is raving about the latest Harbor Freight impact driver from their Hercules brand as being a fantastic value with great performance. But look closely and what you get is only a 90-Day Warranty on those Hercules tools. Way to stand behind their products. Sadly, I can see this trend becoming common with the Lowest tier power-tools out there.
Those guys are 100% shills for the new, flavour of the week brand. Very few presenters are properly honest about the tools they are comparing.
You want real honesty, watch this guy:

He just runs a channel where he fixes the broken ones for contractors and the like. Those who abuse their tools because boss pays for 'em.
Best way to judge a tool's quality is go through the guts of a few thousand of them and see how they broke.
Also, weirdly calming to watch.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Already amazed at that one recent, very short video of all the power-tools customers never came back for; after leaving them to get fixed. I don't get that. New is always more expensive than getting a good tool fixed. Rather sad and shocking at the same time.

ghostguy6

Enlightened
Not to diminish your experiences, but I'm a working carpenter and I'm only now just seeing my 2016 vintage 2Ah batteries start to underperform and the 2016 5Ah batteries are still doing fine. (I have about 6 of each in circulation.) I don't go out of my way to baby them.

Now, it's possible that the 1.7Ah batteries that come with the low-end Dewalts are, in fact, going to die in a year or two. Dunno. There is clearly a tiered approach to the tools, so it wouldn't surprise me if there was the same approach to batteries.

Regarding warranty, Dewalt has been pretty reasonable. One of my flexvolts died prematurely (ie, inside the 3 year warranty), and they replaced it without any fuss. My oscillating tool trigger lockout failed and they sent a whole new tool without me asking for it.
I'm glad your experience differs from mine. I wonder if it boils down to the quality of people they hire at the warranty center here vs your location. All I can say for sure is around here Dewalt is mostly for homeowners. Any contractors that have been around for awhile use Milwakuee or Hilti cordless tools. I'll be honest here and say I have never had the opportunity to try a cordless Hilti tool so I cant comment on the quality.

When it comes to the Dewalt batteries how much were they used in a day? When I worked at a sign shop they were being used continuously until they died then thrown on the charger, replace the battery and keep drilling until that battery died. It could be like this for the entire shift. I wonder if that rapid drain and recharge cycle is what caused the cells to fail prematurely? I believe we were using 4Ah batteries. When I switched to the Milwaukee M12 system I was using 2Ah batteries and they survived just fine.

borrower

Enlightened

When it comes to the Dewalt batteries how much were they used in a day? When I worked at a sign shop they were being used continuously until they died then thrown on the charger, replace the battery and keep drilling until that battery died. It could be like this for the entire shift. I wonder if that rapid drain and recharge cycle is what caused the cells to fail prematurely? I believe we were using 4Ah batteries. When I switched to the Milwaukee M12 system I was using 2Ah batteries and they survived just fine.

So, my batteries are spread around tools — depends on the week, of course, but I'll tend to recharge a few mid- and end of week. Can't say for sure, but working a battery hard as you describe and putting it on the charger while still warm doesn't seem like it would be good for the cells. Maybe the M charger has better fan/ temperature management. (I know the cheaper dewalt chargers don't have fans; the fast charge ones do.)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Curious if anyone took advantage of the recent Memorial Day sales to stock up on more cordless power-tools.

Fuzzywuzzies

Enlightened
I'm done watching tool review comparisons on YouTube where they take a cheap brand new power-tool, then compare it to something like a Makita, Milwaukee, or one of the higher-end DeWALT models.

It is so disgustingly misleading. The guys making those type of comparison videos know full well that cheap budget power-tools work great.... When they're brand new! A year down the road, that bargain-basement priced drill is going to be in a landfill. Meanwhile a tool from any of the above named three is going to easily be going strong.

Yes, there are warranties. But the trend seems to be emphasis on the low price. Every shill reviewer on YouTube is raving about the latest Harbor Freight impact driver from their Hercules brand as being a fantastic value with great performance. But look closely and what you get is only a 90-Day Warranty on those Hercules tools. Way to stand behind their products. Sadly, I can see this trend becoming common with the Lowest tier power-tools out there.
THIS!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I honestly couldn't stand all the shills in the EDC community on YouTube. Nor all the ones in the firearms community either. It's literally why I created my main channel on YouTube. Blatant, honest, no BS reviews.

However, I had no clue! None!! Just how bad the shilling was in the power-tool/DIY/Wood-working community until I took a very serious interest in power-tools just this past year. And the thing that kills me is that the vast majority of these guys are Pros! Pros, who happen to be very charming, very likeable, with channels easily containing high 6-figure subscriber counts.

They know that the tools they are reviewing are junk. Junk that won't last. Junk they would never use in their shops. Quite frankly, junk they would never buy even when they themselves were starting out in wood-working or the Trades. Junk you never see them use on video when they are creating project videos. As opposed to review videos.

I think my "favorite" one was from awhile back in which one of these Pros made a video comparing his very expensive, high-end Festools to cheap Wen tools. At the end of the video he pretty much said all but one of the Wen tools were basically just as good as his set of Festools. The hilarious part was he said it with mostly a straight face. It was just sickening. How do you do that? How do you tell your very loyal subscribers that cheap junk is just as good as the most high-end tools that you, as a pro, own.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
You'd think folks would at least once in awhile take a break from bare naked, obscene greed. Nope!

The hilarious part is, can't take it with you.
Screw reputation, morals, and self-respect.
Get that money!

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a DIYer, not a professional.

There is this one dude on Youtube that buys used Kobalt because it's mostly a DIYer brand. DIYers don't use the heck out of their tools. His experience is that if you buy a used Dewalt, it's probably been used to death.

Hercules brushless comes with a 5 year warranty. It's written on my box.
When I was buying my last Hercules tool, I asked about an extended warranty and they said it wasn't showing up (they usually ask you), then I remembered that they come with a good warranty.
The best part of the warranty is you take it to a store and you walk out with a new tool, same as Kobalt warranty.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm a DIYer, not a professional.
Same. I just want my tools to last with regular use. Dad's tools lasted him for decades. Just seems if you want that, you're almost forced to buy the Pro grade power-tools.
There is this one dude on Youtube that buys used Kobalt because it's mostly a DIYer brand. DIYers don't use the heck out of their tools. His experience is that if you buy a used Dewalt, it's probably been used to death.
I can see his point. But used Kobalt? Definitely better for those on a tight budget to buy a new Kobalt or even a new HART power-tool, than a beat-to-Hell DeWalt, Milwaukee, or Mikita.
Hercules brushless comes with a 5 year warranty. It's written on my box.
My apologies, I legit thought it was only 90 days.
When I was buying my last Hercules tool, I asked about an extended warranty and they said it wasn't showing up (they usually ask you), then I remembered that they come with a good warranty.
The best part of the warranty is you take it to a store and you walk out with a new tool, same as Kobalt warranty.
Perhaps Hercules, but one acquaintance mentioned he'd never buy another Kobalt again. Specifically because Lowe's wouldn't honor the warranty in-store. Told him he'd have to contact Kobalt directly for his warranty claim. He wasn't happy about that.

Fuzzywuzzies

Enlightened
This is a very interesting thread.
Nice to hear real words from real folks and their experiences. I value that far more than what any reviewer or salesman could ever say.

We beat the daylights out of our power tools every day, sometimes charging batteries multiple times per day - and yes, while still warm. We have work to do, deadlines to meet, and the accelerated wear on the batteries is worth it as a business endeavour.

Bosch have a six year warranty for commercial use on their batteries, provided you register them. I was dubious of this until we ran into an issue with a bad model/version of battery, which only lasted 5 1/2 (!) years before reaching less than 70% output capacity. All of the batteries we sent in for warranty were tested, and then replaced promptly and without question. Unfortunately, they replaced them with the exact same model, which also failed at 5 1/2 years, and we got replacements for those as well!! That's well over decade of solid commercial use….
I consider that good value for money.

Edit: Typos and clarity

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thanks for the info., Fuzzy. Appreciate it.
The only thing a bit odd to me is that the warranty is specifically for commercial use. Do you know if they offer something similar for non-commercial use?

SYZYGY

Enlightened
anything related to the hinge was considered to be normal wear. It literally didn't even last 24 hours! Yet the superglue I used to fix it has held on about 4 years now.
i'm stunned CA glue on something like a hinge lasted you years. :)
i would've used epoxy heh

Fuzzywuzzies

Enlightened
Thanks for the info., Fuzzy. Appreciate it.
The only thing a bit odd to me is that the warranty is specifically for commercial use. Do you know if they offer something similar for non-commercial use?
Cheers! Most such extended warranties on power tools and batteries (here, at least) have the dreaded asterisk* in their promo material, referencing a fine-print caveat that excludes tools and batteries that have been subjected to commercial use. In other words, you only get the extended warranty if you're a DIYer or home user.
Bosch specifically state that their warranty also covers commercial use, which is fantastic.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
That is awesome! Had no clue that such a restriction on warranties applied to those who actually use their power-tools on the job. Good on Bosch for doing the right thing. Thanks, Fuzzy.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a DIY'er I buy what meets the need at my price point. Lowes had a great sale a few years back on Metabo/HPT hammer drill and impact driver that included 2-18V/3Ah and 2-36V/18V 5Ah batteries in the package for $250. Eventually will get the trim router.

I still use the corded Bosch 1587 jigsaw, Skil Mag 77 circular saw and Porter Cable 691 router.

What I'm pondering is a 18ga brad nailer but bought the Metabo when the Senco went on vacation. The bump fire is nice in certain applications. Battery nail guns IDK yet, the air hose sucks though!
18ga brad nailer-February 11, 2024-2988 - Copy.jpg