Have You Ever Met A Fellow Flashaholic ?

DavidTHR

Enlightened
A while back, I was waiting outside a clothing store while my wife was inside shopping.

While waiting, I noticed a guy with what appeared to be some type of Surefire clipped to his pocket.

I asked this guy what type of flashlight he was carrying, and he showed me his new Surefire C2 (which was a newer model at that time).

At the time, I told him I had a Surefire E2e on order (I have since made the E2e my almost all the time carry light).

We talked flashlights for a while, until my wife finished her shopping.

Pretty cool -- I made a new friend of a complete stranger because of our common interest in quality flashlights.

Have you ever met someone "out of the blue" because of a common interest in flashlights?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of the guys at the local rifle range carry an E2d, but they also sell them so it's sorta promotion too. The best I've seen outside of that is an Opalec Newbeam.

Kiu

Enlightened
I have the same experience with you. I met some flashaholics at a local SF's dealer store. We talk about flashlight for a long time at a street.
It seems we could talk for several hours if I didn't have other things to do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

That's really funny when you can meet a guy who has a common interest in flashlights.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
While going through the security check at Los Angeles International Airport last year, I saw a guy who was being prevented from taking a flashlight on board. I think the light was a Surefire Beast or some God-awful high end light that, so I was pretty sure he was a CPF member. However, he looked pretty unhappy at being detained and having to check his light, so I didn't think that was a good time to introduce myself.

DimBeam

Enlightened
There is this nut who walks in my neighborhood at night constantly changing his flashlight beams from LED to Incan and going from weak to powerful.He must be driving the neighbors nuts....wait a minute.....that nut is me. Whoops. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
I have bumped into a few people at the dayton hamvention, one shure way to collect attention is to leave a maxabeam out (I sell there some times) or have a few surefires visable.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I've actually met 2 other CPF members in my town. There are 5 or 6 within 25 miles.

I run into closet flashaholics every once in a while. The guy at the hardware store has even called me at home to let me know a particular light had shown up.

I find that wearing a flashlight on my belt (I wear my Slim2 Mc Gizmo style) makes it sort of obvious that it's not a normal light. The brushed aluminum finish also makes it stand out. That helps start conversations.

Daniel

JanCPF

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
DimBeam said:
There is this nut who walks in my neighborhood at night constantly changing his flashlight beams from LED to Incan and going from weak to powerful.He must be driving the neighbors nuts....wait a minute.....that nut is me. Whoops. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif haha DimBeam that cracked me up. Probably because that also could have been me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I met a couple of flashaholics at the Dayton hamvention. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif I suspect there were a few more there that I didn't know about.

sithjedi333

Enlightened
I had the pleasure of meeting the West Coast group in Cambria last summer, and found them to be a bunch of fun, kind and generous souls.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
There I was, minding my own business and walking through a building getting ready for the Oklahoma Freewheel (bike ride across Oklahoma) The weather was nice for June and I walked in with my helmet on. My helmet has a minimag with BB500 R2H, Kroll tailswitch and Fraen LP optics mod mounted on the top.

Another cyclist was sitting around and asked me if my light was a Badboy with Luxeon LED? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif What the....???!!! I replied "Yes it is" and introduced myself, he figured I was a CPF'er and said he was cy. Yep, I was 60 miles from home, cy was around 150 miles and we crossed each other's paths.

His sons that were riding with him though it was a little weird when cy and myself were comparing beam quality, throw and size of our lights. He liked my helmet light and got a kick out of the throw afforded by my 2D Mag Madmax+ R2H and we lit up the campsite. I played around with his Arc4, ArcLS twistie and Arc AAA. Bought an Arc AAA from him and we had a good time.

I also purchased a Luxeon V WX1S LED from him, just finished the light and it is even crazier than the R2H Mag. You meet the nicest people carrying "real" flashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
i met raggie once. what a weiord guy

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Unfortunatly, no, I haven't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish too.... Even if I did have a high end light in full view, a CPFer would have doubted that a 12 year old kid communicates with a bunch of adults on the web. Talking to them here is good enough /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. As a 12 year old, I hope to be able to witness the *hopefully* growing hobby of flashlights around the world until one day seeing a flashaholic everyday is like going to the bathroom. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif just crossing my fingers and hoping....

AlanS

Newly Enlightened
I've met at least four fellow flashaholics in the music community, but the funniest was while doing an "idiot check" packing up my sound system after a gig.

I pulled out my X5T to make sure I wasn't leaving any bits and pieces of gear, and as I swept the beam across the stage, I swear the bass player's pupils dilated just like a cat's when spotting a mouse. I still smile remembering this grown adult exclaiming "oh, cool!" at my light.

Another musician, a composer/conductor for whom I work frequently, was so jazzed by the same X5 (after shooting himself in the face with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif) that I gave him his own as thanks for a good gig. Glad it was a $30 light he fell in love with, not my A2! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I had another Q3 compliment the other day. I pulled it out to look at the back of an equipment panel when a co-worker said "Wow, cool flashlight... it looks like DAYLIGHT!"

Maybe a budding flashaholic... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at an automobile merit badge when all of a sudden the counselor whips out a C2!! ( HOLY COW ) 5 minutes later out comes an E2! He was a shooter and master automechanic and said he loves the lights.. Funny.. I was using the E2E at the time...

-tom

Latest posts