HDS 219B or a Prometheus Lights Alpha Blue Label 219B?

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks.
its between these two;

Illuminationsupply HDS Systems EDC Executive Clicky 219B 170 Lumens CR123A

or an alpha' blue label with the 219B.

what's the good and bad?.

for me, downside is the hds runs on a 123A and the blue label on an 18650.
will be using it often at night at home, but even though that means 18650, does the HDS do better in other ways?.

what would you have?...why?.

thanks.

Link removed as per the banner at the top of the page
Why has my link been removed? - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would grab the HDS (actually going to get a Rotary, with both 123 and 17670 bodies, when they are available)
I like the HDS UI - I loved my Novatac (a slight diversion in the HDS Line) as an EDC light, the UI is a bit tricky to setup, but once you have got it how you want it, it's a piece of cake to get use - being able to select Max or Primary from off is nice too.
That and HDS lights are almost bombproof - they are a bit ugly**, but feel like (and are) a quality tool made to be used hard every day.

** ok, maybe not ugly, they have a certain functional beauty too them, but they certainly aren't pretty either.
Given that they get used in the dark, it doesn't really matter what they look like, and like Spyderco knives, they fit your hand comfortably - the "waisted" body feels good to use, and very secure in the hand.
they look much nicer with some shiny spots on the anodize, after a year or two of use !

All that said, I haven't really looked into the Prometheus lights

Last edited by a moderator:

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard nice things about Jason's lights, but I'd take the HDS any day. The ability to configure exactly the brightness levels you want is super nice, and it's significantly cheaper than the Alpha.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you've owned an Alpha (or own one now), you should be very familiar with that option. The main benefits of the HDS are small size and customizable output levels. Having said that, it is possible to have the output levels of the Alpha adjusted. I really like the moonlight mode of one of mine. I use it as my low output nightstand light.

Since it wouldn't be carried every day in a pants pocket, there's not a lot of benefit to the small size of the HDS. The Alpha would provide longer times, at 200 lumens, when powered by a 3400 mah 18650, also of limited importance when the light is used at home.

I personally wouldn't get an Alpha with a Nichia 219, since the MC-E works so well with the reflector. Is Jason using the new 219B emitter or the 219A like he used to?

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks, I think its still 219A, but i am sure he can catch a B if needed.

Since you've owned an Alpha (or own one now), you should be very familiar with that option. The main benefits of the HDS are small size and customizable output levels. Having said that, it is possible to have the output levels of the Alpha adjusted. I really like the moonlight mode of one of mine. I use it as my low output nightstand light.

Since it wouldn't be carried every day in a pants pocket, there's not a lot of benefit to the small size of the HDS. The Alpha would provide longer times, at 200 lumens, when powered by a 3400 mah 18650, also of limited importance when the light is used at home.

I personally wouldn't get an Alpha with a Nichia 219, since the MC-E works so well with the reflector. Is Jason using the new 219B emitter or the 219A like he used to?

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations on your decision.

I forgot to add that not only is it nice to be able to program the output levels yourself, but the methods used to go from one level to another work out very well.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks, I did email Jason some few times, but nothing back, so this time, Henry has caught my cash!.
it was fate..lol.

thanks.
Congratulations on your decision.

I forgot to add that not only is it nice to be able to program the output levels yourself, but the methods used to go from one level to another work out very well.

bluebonnet

Newly Enlightened
Neutralwhite, I see that illumination supply offers the HDS-219B-170-LE in two back ordered versions. If you don't mind me asking, which version did you order? I'm very interested in this 219B HDS. Thanks.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi sure you can ask,....thanks.
I ordered the Executive Clicky with the "flush" button mostly for flight deck and home use. don't really need tactical.

hope this OK, and helps.
place that order bluebonnet! - this is a limited run IS tells me.

bluebonnet

Newly Enlightened
Hi sure you can ask,....thanks.
I ordered the Executive Clicky with the "flush" button mostly for flight deck and home use. don't really need tactical.

hope this OK, and helps.
place that order bluebonnet! - this is a limited run IS tells me.
Thanks for getting back to me. That would be my choice, too. I hope it's already in the mail to you. Have a great day.