HDS HDS Pocket Mate? Ode to the HDS EDC Flashlight

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
And what are your impressions?

Communication is one of my main job functions, but I posted that image without a caption for a reason. I was speechless when I first held it, slack jaw even. I've recently read a lot about CRK products, including the ravings of some very vocal critics. I understand now that they are simply a different type of consumer than I am. This knife is over built, just like an HDS. They will make life long companions!

I will say that it needs some breaking in. I had to remove that fluorinated grease and replace it with a lighter weight oil. Thumb's a bit sore from fidgeting with it, but it's a good pain.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The recommendation I'm about to make would be considered controversial in some circles I'm sure, but I'm not the only one to do this --

You can significantly speed up the break in process by forcing it a different way. Disassemble the knife, take the phosphor bronze washers out, get some micron-graded polishing papers and a flat surface like a granite countertop, and put a mirror shine on those things. That's basically what breaking it in does, using the steel and titanium frame. Be careful not to thin them, just nicely polished. Months worth of break-in in half an hour.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The recommendation I'm about to make would be considered controversial in some circles I'm sure, but I'm not the only one to do this --

You can significantly speed up the break in process by forcing it a different way. Disassemble the knife, take the phosphor bronze washers out, get some micron-graded polishing papers and a flat surface like a granite countertop, and put a mirror shine on those things. That's basically what breaking it in does, using the steel and titanium frame. Be careful not to thin them, just nicely polished. Months worth of break-in in half an hour.

Interesting. I did put the washers on the strop, but only for a few passes. Didn't want to push my luck. Now I just have to decide whether to keep the pocket clip or go with custom leather...

nbp

Flashaholic
Oh yeah, nice blade bro!

Your thumb will get used to the volcano thumbstud, I promise. ;) We all had sore thumbs at the first. Haha

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought I knew what a pocket knife was, but I was obviously mistaken. I think I'm officially a CRK fanboy. The experience thus far is closely akin to unboxing my first HDS. I will no longer accept any substitute.

How are you guys keeping your blades sharp? I'm looking at the Edge Pro Apex. I own bench stones but I lack the coordination for freehand sharpening. Thoughts?

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought I knew what a pocket knife was, but I was obviously mistaken. I think I'm officially a CRK fanboy. The experience thus far is closely akin to unboxing my first HDS. I will no longer accept any substitute.

How are you guys keeping your blades sharp? I'm looking at the Edge Pro Apex. I own bench stones but I lack the coordination for freehand sharpening. Thoughts?

Congrats modernflame! The Inkosi is indeed a beautiful knife, and the unboxing experience is awesome. The Sebenza 21 Small has prevented me from purchasing many other knives akin to my HDS and flashlights - for better or for worse.

You can always send it in to CRK for their “Spa” treatment for free. They’ll sharpen the blade, reblast the scales, etc.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be honest I'm kinda surprised by how popular CRK is here, since to my mind at least HDS and CRK are totally different design philosophies. CRK is more like McGizmo or Okluma.

nbp

Flashaholic
It’s like someone has had that in his sigline for years... haha

McG and CRK are a great pairing but I think in general high quality items go well together so HDS is fair game too.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see CRK and HDS as best of the best functional designs. McG and Okl are both flash. Wish I could carry a CRK, other than an Impinda, around these parts of the Country.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter

Practice, practice and once again practice :)

I started with this video, in my opinion the best for a beginner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfuRFcOl2mw

I check the sharpness on the nail, putting a knife to the nail at 30-45 degrees to the vertical and press sideways, if it does not slide off, it means quite sharply.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have lots of things to keep sharp, and each requires different things.
Yes, that is a bayonet for an Uzi. An Uzi without a bayonet is like a frog without shoes.
img-3873.jpg

A few of the tools to make things separate matter separate it better....

img-3871.jpg

For straight knives, I think the Spyderco Sharpmaker or Crock Sticks work quite well and is very easy to get good with.

Flat stones take a lot more practice, but those are the only things you can use for straight razors.

The Ken Onion Work Sharp is great... but practice on old knives as anything like this can remove more metal than you want if you are not very careful.

img-3872.jpg

Once you get good with the WorkSharp, it is one of the fastest and easiest ways to get a really good edge on things.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
It makes sense that someone would pair an HDS with a Sebenza. HDS lights don't perform better than lights costing 1/5 as much, and Sebenzas don't cut better than knives costing 1/5 as much. Its all about the bling and the feel good.

nbp

Flashaholic
I guess if you are stripping it down to just lumens and cutting, sure, but there’s a lot of quality and design work that goes into the construction of those items that doesn’t go into a cheap item. I wouldn’t call that bling, really, but others may disagree.