HDS Sapphire Lens Question ?

fnj

Enlightened
In practical terms it's largely bling. You're not going to notice the difference in transmissivity. For myself with my titanium clicky, I definitely did appreciate the extra bling on bling.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
But one advantage is like watch crystals, a sapphire lens is much tougher, able to withstand impacts better and nearly scratchproof.

shane45_1911

Enlightened
a sapphire lens is much tougher, able to withstand impacts better and nearly scratchproof.

Not exactly true. Sapphire is indeed "harder" and therefore more scratch-resistant, but it does NOT withstand impact better than hardened glass or UCL's. Sapphire lenses are more brittle than glass.

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
In practical terms it's largely bling. You're not going to notice the difference in transmissivity. For myself with my titanium clicky, I definitely did appreciate the extra bling on bling.

I am not sure I quite get what you mean. According to Henry, sapphire lens does suffer slight loss of transmissivity. It is not noticeable because all HDS lights are calibrated to the same output before leaving the production line. That said, one might get a slightly shorter run time with sapphire lens than with UCL.

And again from Henry, he claimed that there are no other benefits to be gained from a sapphire lens other than buying the rights to boast.

shane45_1911

Enlightened
IIt is not noticeable because all HDS lights are calibrated to the same output before leaving the production line. That said, one might get a slightly shorter run time with sapphire lens than with UCL.

I doubt that Henry calibrates his lights to take into account the lens being used. I am sure they are all calibrated at the emitter, in this case. I don't believe Henry drives his LEDs harder to compensate for the fact that someone ordered a sapphire lens. :)

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Sapphire is great for scratch resistance, but absolutely unnecessary on the HDS lights, mostly due to being so well protected. On a watch where the crystal is in constant contact with the world it makes a lot of sense, but not on a flashlight.

E=mAh²

Newly Enlightened
I realize this is 12 years after the fact but I highly disagree with this, at least per my usage/lifestyle. Actually my g shock that rarely comes off my wrist is more or less in flawless condition save the band as I just dont do anything that results in my hands banging into stuff like that, granted I am aware that for a lot of people that isn't the case I understand how that could easily frequently happen just doesn't to me in my current line of work..

However, as HDS' -namely rotaries still lack a practical carry solution for a lot of people (myself being one of those people) I am stuck with the primitive loose pocket carry and to carry in the same pocket as my phone would just be way too much bulk that leaves me with my left front pocket which also houses my keyS.

I don't care if that lense is recessed 2 inches deep keys WILL come into contact and since everything is all loosie goosie I liken it to throwing your light in a tiny dryer with several jagged "toothed" pieces of metal.

I couldn't think of a BETTER application than an HDS.

my first two hds' I went glass and when I sold them less than a year later they both had noticable micro scratches all over the lenses.

my haiku that I got around the same time that I still have today which of course if you know Dons work his lights come standard with titanium and sapphire without having to pay an extra grand, it's literally flawless minus the smudges that I already wiped off since typing this sentence...

needless to say, the rotary I'm currently waiting to receive will be fitted with a sapphire window. I recommend anybody and everybody pony up the extra $ for the upgrade.
Sapphire is great for scratch resistance, but absolutely unnecessary on the HDS lights, mostly due to being so well protected. On a watch where the crystal is in constant contact with the world it makes a lot of sense, but not on a flashlight.

However, as HDS' -namely rotaries still lack a practical carry solution for a lot of people (myself being one of those people) I am stuck with the primitive loose pocket carry and to carry in the same pocket as my phone would just be way too much bulk that leaves me with my left front pocket which also houses my keyS.

There's this option.
10990515-A3DD-4D94-95AF-42ACEBBC5642.jpeg

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
...the rotary I'm currently waiting to receive will be fitted with a sapphire window. I recommend anybody and everybody pony up the extra $ for the upgrade.
Me too, and if you were to have tracked my posting all around CPF you would have noticed that I did end up with some damaged Ra/HDS lenses, leading me to also prescribe going all sapphire. Not always the necessary choice, but definitely a superior one.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I buy my sapphire lenses on Ebay.. they have 3mm thick for $16.. though I dont see 21mm listed, maybe message the seller to ask..

Last edited: