HDS Systems #23

Stoneking

Enlightened
I think tarantulas are fascinating but if I saw that up close I would have a heart attack!

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a fan of either Of those critters. Actually I don't think I can decide which one l like less. I guess like anywhere you take the good with the bad. If I could spot them at 100 yards with an HDS I'd steer clear of them.

Well, the rattlers eat the pack-rats, and the pack-rats eat the wiring in your vehicles... so... The reality is, a rattler just wants nothing to do with you. You are too big to eat. They will either lay still hoping you just pass by or try to slither off. If they coil and shake their tail, well, that's your warning he didn't have his coffee that morning. Tarantulas are great. They eat the other bugs. Don't really want one in my home, but when I find them in the yard, I let them be. Scorpions are another matter. I have a kill on sight order for those little jerks.

I think tarantulas are fascinating but if I saw that up close I would have a heart attack!

That is why I'm hiking. Trying to avoid that heart attack thing. I'm overdue.

Stone: Me too

Hogo: Are there still plenty of the Samsung 5000k left?

Yes. We have quite a few they just won't be mounted for a couple weeks. Blame the monkey.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to eat the rattlesnakes. Then i realized they had no flavor besides the seasoning in the cornmeal and the way I was cooking them would help lead me to one Of those heart attack things as well. Now they get to just slither away

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Hogo, the 3 outdoor beamshots are quite cool. For me not bad for a small light like a HDS. Also the light color seems to be nice. Even if you always say you can not make Beamshots, I find this beamshots really very useful! :thumbsup:

--
Currently I no not have the "Samsung High Noon". I got a Ti Clicky High Noon this week, therefore currently no additional HDS at this time, at least for now. But the Samsung High Noon is tempting. :)

LuxTacGear

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking on getting a Samsung 18650 for the longer periods during the darker winter months.

I'm also thinking about getting a stainless steel HDS when the rest of them become available for sale. Since I have sold my Ti and it was quite an expensive piece for a flashlight, I think the ss can be the perfect replacement. Robust and comparable to titanium, but more affordable and with a new emitter.

The Samsung emitter seems to be the new hype, 300 lumen and high cri, and since it produces a floodier beam, it should be really convenient for edc usage. Hogo's beamshots have become quite helpful in my decision making.

LuxTacGear

Newly Enlightened
Recently I started carrying my ss40 more and more again (imo the best tint since my beloved high noon). I decided to sell my new Oveready Boss since I can't really see that much difference on Afterburner and maximum on my HDS. I also greatly prefer the button and the UI of the Rotary to the McClicky of the Boss. The Rotary was my first high end light since 2017 and I keep getting drawn back to it.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those beam shots are an anomaly for me. Normally, my beam shots suck on toast.
Apparently, if I am to get get good beam shots, I need to be sweating like a whore in church, wheezing like a broken steam engine, and my knees more torn up than the previously mentioned lady in church, all while dodging venomous critters and skunks on the trail. Well, I guess that is a small price to pay for good photos.

JKolmo

Enlightened
We appreciate the efforts Hogo! Really nice beam shots you got there! [emoji122]

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since getting it, my HDS SS40 Tactical has been in my pocket every. single. day.

Normally I add another light that would be my more typical user in day-to-day tasks, but I feel like my SS40 has a place in my EDC more similar to my Sig P938. I can walk out of my house without a Zebralight or some P-60 whizz-bang special and be fine leaving without it, but I forget the HDS (or the Sig) you bet your donkey I'm running back inside to grab it! I really don't feel good leaving the house without it. Maybe this is just because of the craziness of some people right now and I'm just being a little extra, but there is a not-insignificant portion of my mind that feels so much better having my HDS on me. But I'm kinda in an odd spot right now mentally, my parent's house was targeted by some degenerate who spread chocolate along the ground inside the dog-fence.

Now that I'm using my HDS lights a bit more than in the past, I find that when I use other lights I find myself thinking "darn, really wish I could knock <selected output> down one notch a-la-HDS."

So yeah Hogo and Henry thanks very much for the work you have done, it can go beyond just providing light but comfort too. Cheers!

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Much appreciated dotCPF!

For everyone:

So, I was thinking (it is rare but does happen)...
What about a larger dynamic range on the HDS? i.e. when the monkey made the mistake on the NLT.

A lower low... would have the slight "delay" turn on but a much lower low than the .02?

I did bring this up to Henry today and am currently putting ice on the bruise, but how far should I push it?
Obviously, this wouldn't be something that would happen quickly (nothing, I repeat NOTHING at HDS happens quickly) but is this something you would like to see? Is it worth Hogo's bruising and possibly needing stitches?

Lithium466

Enlightened
I'm definitely in the lower low bandwagon.

I feel like current lights have too many sublumens level, but the lowest low isn't low enough.
I don't know how that would work if Henry wants to keep the logarithmic spread between modes. Or is logarithmic not the right term? The current mode spacing.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Honestly the lowest low on my NLT is very low, almost too low, I said almost. ;)

I almost always go up a level from low when using it with sleep adapted eyes. :)

scout24

Flashaholic
How about using the tactical software... Start at a lower low, have 12 steps to "high" instead of 24 like the regular Rotary, and give us the second half of the rotary travel as a timed turbo mode of, say, 30 seconds before stepping down as the battery saver in programming now allows? You placate the I want more lumens crowd, keep tactical runtime, and have the lower lows... (I'll get my ice now, Hogo...)

Last edited:

paddyie

Newly Enlightened
I would absolutely love a lower low mode. It would be perfect, when the locator beacon even gets this lower low or better a customizable low for the beacon.

Lithium466

Enlightened
Honestly the lowest low on my NLT is very low, almost too low, I said almost. ;)

I almost always go up a level from low when using it with sleep adapted eyes. :)
We are not all equal with night vision. My better half for example has beautiful blue eyes (and terrific colour vision), but terrible night vision and literally can't navigate at night without flashlight. On the contrary, I have ugly brown eyes, but a super sensitive night vision...and put some diffusing film on my night light, because the lowest 0,02lm was almost blinding (I said almost too, ha!) 😂

Lithium466

Enlightened
How about using the tactical software... Start at a lower low, have 12 steps to "high" instead of 24 like the regular Rotary, and give us the second half of the rotary travel as a timed turbo mode of, say, 30 seconds before stepping down as the battery saver in programming now allows? You placate the I want more lumens crowd, keep tactical runtime, and have the lower lows... (I'll get my ice now, Hogo...)
Now that's an idea I'll take!