HDS HDS Systems #23

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
I am not saying the product is not worth the price increase. I’m sure it is a justified price increase.

Would you rather be the hitter that gets a base hit 50% of the time you bat or a home run 10% of the time you bat?

It’s a different mindset, those two batters. It’s self evident the batter the manufacturer chooses to be...

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Increase was 16% across the board (as someone already mentioned) as our cost of parts increased 22% across the board. We ordered parts to keep us stocked for roughly the next 3 years as getting that many helped to reduce the stiff increase we had on everything from machining to electronics. Could have started getting stuff in China but there is a better chance of me looking in my pants, seeing my little pink pecker and telling everyone I'm a lady.
Don't like price increases but sure see it at the pump and grocery store as well.

Duster1671

Enlightened
Perhaps the price increases will cool off demand a little bit.

The feeding frenzy (to include vendors buying three years worth of parts all at once) is a fundamental driver of inflation.

Personally, I was considering another Rotary but will probably pass now.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a long time owner of several HDS $300 lights I am not overly price sensitive and look forward to the next Titanium Rotary run in a few years especially if it is combined with a wide variety of High CRI led options. I know it will be an expensive very high quality light that one cannot purchase anywhere else. I use these lights multiple times daily.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure where you studied economics but you may want to go and ask for your money back.
Nearly every part in an HDS is a custom made part, either machined, molded, or put together at a pick and place. The more one has done at one time in quantity, the lower the price per unit. The difference between having 3 years of parts machined, anodized, vapor metal coated, electronics put together, emitters mounted etc. vs. 1 year is substantial. Had we ordered a years worth, you would have seen a nearly 50% increase in the cost of the light... then if things continue on the same route next year, you would see another increase next year, and the year after that. The reason for all the extra parts was to keep the costs down as much as possible and keep the cost of the light stable for the next few years.

Now, we could have left the price alone and started running HDS at a loss, but the only long term successful business I know of that has done that is the U.S. government... or an entity in financial bed with it.

I realize there will be people who will read this and because of **** poor reading comprehension skills, not understand and go off thinking the price of the light will increase 50% every year... I can't fix that... though someone should possible go back and slap their English teachers.

Duster1671

Enlightened
@Hogokansatsukan - Price breaks at higher volume and inflation due to high demand are not mutually exclusive.

No one is blaming HDS for raising prices. I'm sure it was a rational decision. The issue I was speaking to is larger than a single two-man operation contracting parts out to job shops. Those shops are raising their prices because their customers (of whom HDS is only one) are demanding more and more from them. The shops are paying more for raw material because those suppliers' customers are demanding more from them. And so on.

Stockpiling parts in this type of economic climate can be both a rational decision and one that exacerbates the larger issue. It's everyone's fault and no one's fault at the same time.

Regarding your brash comment about people thinking the light will increase 50% every year...well, no one has said anything even remotely to that effect, nor do I expect anyone would.

ledbetter

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
I once had a custom pin gun which I couldn’t fix. No one could except the maker. Custom parts for slide, spring, housing, compensator, etc. But I needed it to work, always, not sometimes. And of course the maker was a prima donna, always busy, hard to communicate with, had a backlog, and an attitude towards customers that said you need me, I don’t need you.

I sold the gun. Next was something with replaceable parts I could fix.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
If Stockpiling parts means that HDS will be able to get lights out to their customers in a reasonable amount of time I think that’s a good idea. If you have the parts and it’s still 3-4 months to get a light then thats another thing. I believe a lot of the hold ups on shipping was due to the fact that they couldn’t get parts. Now they have them it should speed things up Yes?

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
My understanding was that actually the backorders are processed. I expect if (almost every) backorder is processed everything went bavk to normal. Normal means a custom light leaves HDS in 1-2 weeks.
I had a lot Orders that were in this way, shipped after a week more or less. Therefore I expect we have this shedule back soon... Guess also the limited tubes are time consuming. Therefore soon may ne not that soon!?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wait. Things get majorly misconstrued all the time. In 16 years here... I've seen it all too often. Not brash. Just experience on here.