HDS Systems #23

nbp

Flashaholic
You have forgotten the intense and consistent complaining about the screw holes... Henry hasn't.
Anyone who has been on here any length of time knows my thoughts on the Universal Clip... I just don't know if it could possibly be made fuglier.
We will not get religious at HDS... won't be holy.

I see this repeated ad nauseum, but I don't recall this intense and consistent complaining, having followed HDS and owned at least 10 of them since 2010, during both holey and unholey eras. What I do recall is the fact that every few months for the decade since removing them folks have intensely and consistently complained about the sucky clip options for the Rotary. I'm not sure why the relatively short period of complaints about the holes during the Ra era were given so much credence versus the decade of complaints about clips afterwards, but that's what it is. Whoever it was that was complaining about the holes must have been an EXTREMELY influential person in Henry's eyes. I just never have seen the vitriol about the holes that I see claimed over and over when the decision is defended over the years. Maybe at this point it is just too difficult to admit it was a silly choice so they stick ever more aggressively to the decision. Sunk cost fallacy, perhaps.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps it is because you don't take the phone calls at HDS. Henry never was very active on the forums, but I can attest to Henry's extreme reluctance to do any holes and can state with 100% certainly that it won't happen on the current light. The next one, most likely it will on the switch cap like I mentioned earlier, at least that is what I'm pushing for or on the bezel (the bezel actually makes more sense because of how the Rotary functions and I can see the "the clip rubs on the light" and "the clip is in the way when I use the rotary mechanism" but then with it on the bezel there will be the "it has to be bezel down!" crowd... so the actual solution might be an S clip on the bezel...
I'm just an advocate of sorts. I read the forum and follow the FB stuff, and pretty much try to get Henry to to do what makes sense that people want, but with the holes, yep, he must have talked to a lot of people who didn't like them. There was enough that arewethereyetdad had his "get screwed" service. LOL!
As is often the case, there is usually a small number of people that are VERY vocal about what they want or don't want (I recall closing a thread on the XPG3 because of the negative comments that went out of control BEFORE it was even offered in an HDS) and that has actually been one of the best selling emitters... when the same folks say the same things again and again, I tend to ignore them... same as I do the main stream media. The same few people telling me the same thing over and over again doesn't make it true... unless it is Monkey Pox... then I'm definitely keeping my monkey at home.
I personally didn't like the holes in the lights, but I also don't like clips (unless it is for an M1 Garand and then the more the merrier). However, I will encourage Henry to do holes in the tail or bezel for clips on the next gen light as long as it is also offered without holes as well. At that point, we will see.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is one idea how to satisfy everyone, but it will be a Hell of spare parts and logistics for Hogo 😈

This is not new, it has long been used by SF, Convoy and others.

That is, additional elements with threads at the ends of the bezel and tailcap. Can easily replace parts, like a car bumper. For the bezel, this could not be done, but it would be nice to do so that when replacing a person, he did not have to remove the glass, reflector, etc.

Also can even sell without anything, that is, there are smooth rings at both ends, and all the other rings could be made by someone else from a third-party manufacturer, like Lumensfactory for SF. Then it will be less spare parts.

1659260801148.png

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
I think the other thing that always made me skeptical is that a huge number of other lights, both cheap production as well as high end and custom also use screwed on clips, and no one has removed their clips so that those who use the light clipless don't have to see the holes. Oveready, Malkoff, McGizmo, Muyshondt, Mac, Okluma, Sigma, and on and on all make high end lights, and have used screwed on clips for years and people pay hundreds for them and seem just fine with clip holes in them. I don't understand why HDS should be the only maker in all my years here who dealt with this issue. I suspect that it was indeed a very tiny group of people who made a disproportionate ruckus about it. In any case, I have spent too many hours discussing clips for these lights over the years with no progress of any kind, so it is probably time for me to retire the topic. I have put a Moddoo clip under the bezel on one of my Rotaries, against official recommendation, and the super expensive Prototype Uni clip on the other, which although still kinda ugly, at least offers bezel attachment with bezel down configuration. So it is a slight improvement. My Clickies use Moddoo and Prometheus clips, which which while not deep carry, do provide secure and attractive bezel down carry and are very serviceable.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The picture artists that just use custom lights as photo props need to get into the custom clip sub-niche…some of those clips go for $1k. Then no HDS "user" will complain

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent solution, ironhorse!

The clip holes never bothered me, but what did bother me at first was the little hole in the Rotary knob and the appearance of the stop screw that keeps the knob from rotating too far. But I got over it quickly, recognizing that HDS lights are first and foremost functional and utilitarian, and that Henry knows very well what he is doing.

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the other thing that always made me skeptical is that a huge number of other lights, both cheap production as well as high end and custom also use screwed on clips, and no one has removed their clips so that those who use the light clipless don't have to see the holes. Oveready, Malkoff, McGizmo, Muyshondt, Mac, Okluma, Sigma, and on and on all make high end lights, and have used screwed on clips for years and people pay hundreds for them and seem just fine with clip holes in them. I don't understand why HDS should be the only maker in all my years here who dealt with this issue. I suspect that it was indeed a very tiny group of people who made a disproportionate ruckus about it. In any case, I have spent too many hours discussing clips for these lights over the years with no progress of any kind, so it is probably time for me to retire the topic. I have put a Moddoo clip under the bezel on one of my Rotaries, against official recommendation, and the super expensive Prototype Uni clip on the other, which although still kinda ugly, at least offers bezel attachment with bezel down configuration. So it is a slight improvement. My Clickies use Moddoo and Prometheus clips, which which while not deep carry, do provide secure and attractive bezel down carry and are very serviceable.
I was very happy with the clips on the HDS 42's and the 60's. The clips were deep carry, bezel up and I never wanted mine to come off… I do agree, however, that the light looks horrible without the clip installed if it has the holes.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Oh idk… with the SS screws in place it looks pretty good. If holes bother some Henry can make an optional small Ti plate to cover them and then screwed in place. It could be engraved with HDS on it or the owners name. That sounds good in my head not sure if I'm describing it right😁

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh idk… with the SS screws in place it looks pretty good. If holes bother some Henry can make an optional small Ti plate to cover them and then screwed in place. It could be engraved with HDS on it or the owners name. That sounds good in my head not sure if I'm describing it right😁
Like on little folding knives
1659422740189.png

turbodog

Flashaholic

The holes make sense. A bezel with extra material makes sense also.

If you don't like those, then peep this:

Top end of battery tube is slightly smaller diameter than rest, with a 'step' in it. On this 'step' a bushing is placed that brings the diameter up to desired spec. For a non-clip light... the bushing is plain. On a clip light, the bushing has extra material and will accept a clip via holes/taper slot/etc.

With decent machining and incorporating the bushing being squeezed when the tube is tightened you won't have a rattle.

Bushings are cheap. They would not require bezel removal, holes in the light, filler screws, or nameplates. Bushings slide off/on by hand, tool-free clip/no clip swaps.

Last edited:

LRJ88

Enlightened
Any clue or possible tracking data on the shipment making its way to that European site that sells tools and knives? It almost feels like watching treacle not seeing that +-3 weeks move.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
No clue. I have no way of checking and it isn't something I would bother Henry with. I'm still whipping him every Monday to get repairs out the door... though this week I'm whipping him to get the 18350/18500 tubes done.

p73rs

Newly Enlightened
No clue. I have no way of checking and it isn't something I would bother Henry with. I'm still whipping him every Monday to get repairs out the door... though this week I'm whipping him to get the 18350/18500 tubes done.
I have got two lights at HDS for the repairs for more than one year. Hopefully, mines are included in those repairs getting out the door.

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I truly believe this is the best clip option for the rotary. Someone just needs to machine a bezel with a little more meat in the tapped area, I would buy 10 of them! Not me because I have zero machinist skills or knowledge.
View attachment 30306View attachment 30307View attachment 30308
This clip is absolutely solid, but it would be better if there was more for the screws to hold.
View attachment 30309
This work was not done by me.
I never did hear back from my friend on a quote. I should check back with him again.