HDS Systems #23

Sos24

Enlightened
For those who like clips, I'd thought I'd show two options for rotaries.
0ebfc0744ae0eeb36fecf124973be424.jpg

The clip on the left is an Olight Baton Pro clip.
I just recently got this clip so I am not sure how well it will hold over time.

The clip on the right is a Streamlight ProTac 1L 1AA Pocket Clip.
I have been using this clip for a few years. I didn't feel the clip held well enough on its own, so I have used a ziptie or lanyard for extra hold. It is pictured with a section of gutted paracord over a ziptie.

Last edited:

doctordun

Enlightened
Every time I see the "clip" question come up, I fondly think of my Thor's Hammer holsters.
Who needs a clip. My pockets are filled with spare 9mm magazines. They would just scratch the HDS.

whill44

Enlightened
Every time I see the "clip" question come up, I fondly think of my Thor's Hammer holsters.
Who needs a clip. My pockets are filled with spare 9mm magazines. They would just scratch the HDS.

I used to think that way too. Then I found in my parts drawer two clips that fit perfect. I can't remember where I got them from, but they've greatly increased the amount of time my HDS is carried.
50671733902_bf2527087c_c.jpg
HDS clips by William Hill, on Flickr

indigon

Enlightened
I still use a Streamlight 1L/2L clip
with doubled-up Novatac caps on the front end of my HDS rotary..

Great if you have big mitts, very comfortable in hand. Just stuff it in my pocket and go.

You could probably throw this thing against a brick wall without hurting it..

The wall I mean. The light will be fine.

6l57QsY.jpg

Last edited:

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast

For nighttime operations, dog walking and monitoring activities, purchased a used Tag Heuer WAY111a in August and sold it in November. I liked the abundant lume but the watch struck me as more of a fashion statement mostly due to the wide hands and wide dial markers.

Now looking at the Quartz Marathon Large SAR 41mm with tritium, which seems popular among HDS owners, or the Luminox Sport Timer Automatic 0921. My impression is that the Luminox is more of a toy watch. Do other HDS owners agree?

Would have uploaded some Lume and HDS pictures but Techpowerup.org is no longer available.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
They could be but I can find no trace of info in my emails. I had to open up the internal diameter some with my dremel tool and tweak the sensor spring just a hair and they've worked to perfection ever since.

I got a couple of these from Neals Gadgets, look the same and reamed them out a little for proper fitment but when I put it between the battery tube and head as shown, I got the error flash. Not a big fan of messing with the contact wire but what did you have to do to it to make it work?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
For nighttime operations, dog walking and monitoring activities, purchased a used Tag Heuer WAY111a in August and sold it in November. I liked the abundant lume but the watch struck me as more of a fashion statement mostly due to the wide hands and wide dial markers.

Now looking at the Quartz Marathon Large SAR 41mm with tritium, which seems popular among HDS owners, or the Luminox Sport Timer Automatic 0921. My impression is that the Luminox is more of a toy watch. Do other HDS owners agree?

Would have uploaded some Lume and HDS pictures but Techpowerup.org is no longer available.

For size comparison.

OPb4pN.jpg

I'm blind... without my reading glasses. I got way too frustrated NOT being able to read my watch. I had picked up the Tag because... I could read it without my stinkin' reading glasses. Why have a watch if you can't read it? I'm a bit anal retentive when it comes to time... perhaps a product of living in Japan for a decade.

After 1 year, the battery in the Tag died. This pissed me off. I never use it on the maximum setting so... and never used the alarm. It ticked me off because I don't like my watch stopping for any reason. Did I mention I am anal retentive about time? So I picked up a medium Marathon and then the anthracite larger (41mm) one. These are both automatics. I can read both without my glasses and... I can read them in the middle of the night... Love them. The Tag now gets used for a daytime knock-around watch. You will find the Marathon thicker, but they are great watches. It was a few folks on here who turned me onto them... I had previously been an "inexpensive" watch guy.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a couple of these from Neals Gadgets, look the same and reamed them out a little for proper fitment but when I put it between the battery tube and head as shown, I got the error flash. Not a big fan of messing with the contact wire but what did you have to do to it to make it work?

The clip should go between the battery tube and the tail on a clicky.
Nothing should be put between tube and head. If you have a Rotary you can put it between the bezel and head, but you'll need an extra o ring between the reflector and ring, as I remember.
There's a tutorial on here somewhere.
P

whill44

Enlightened

First let me say if you mess with Henry's design and break it please take full responsibility and pay him to fix it. What you have to do is not a big deal. The contract spring needs to be stretched up a hair or two so that it contacts the copper outer trace on the head plate. If you'll look the spring is not straight out of the body it has a bend so that it can be fine tuned to achieve this. Make sure you open the internal diameter of the clip so that it sets against the shoulder of the body beneath the o'ring. Then you must stretch the spring a Millimeter or so. No more. Take your time and screw on the head to check if it works then stop your done. Hope this helps.
HDS clip install by William Hill, on FlickrHDS clip install by William Hill, on Flickr

whill44

Enlightened
The clip should go between the battery tube and the tail on a clicky.
Nothing should be put between tube and head. If you have a Rotary you can put it between the bezel and head, but you'll need an extra o ring between the reflector and ring, as I remember.
There's a tutorial on here somewhere.
P

I put clips on both the clicky and the rotary without any issue. The clip fits beneath the o'ring and the head screws on just as before. The thickness of the clip causes the sensor spring to loose contact with trace and needs to be longer by a hair. The light is as water proof as before and works as always. Henry's design can't be beat.

LuxTacGear

Newly Enlightened

I have read some bad reviews about Luminox. Marathon is solid, I have the Gsar and a Navigator. Recently, I bought a quartz grand seiko gmt with decent lume and high precision timekeeping.

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered a Marathon Msar 36mm Quartz for my birthday! It will be replacing my Gshock Rangeman 9400 for daily duty. I have been wearing my 38mm Seiko SKX lately and I really have been enjoying the smaller size! Super excited about the Marathon!

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have read some bad reviews about Luminox. Marathon is solid, I have the Gsar and a Navigator. Recently, I bought a quartz grand seiko gmt with decent lume and high precision timekeeping.

Picked up the Longines VHP (Very High Precision) with the white dial. Very accurate and easy to read. Loses about one second every 3 months. Not a lot of lume to keep up with my HDS Titanium Executive night time excursions.

Probably will go with a new 41mm Marathon TSAR since it is so popular with the HDS crowd. New because new tritium will last longer than used tritium and quartz because I like accuracy. Government markings or not is the question. I have never been in government so I am thinking no government markings...

Last edited: