HDS Systems #23

turbodog

Flashaholic
Not exactly apples-to-apples, because anything HDS makes is vastly superior in quality and features to those imported lights that are mass produced by the thousands on an assembly line. ...

I had written my last post, but if you want to poke the bear...

So what explains my HDS lights with off center reflectors, off-center heads, switches that were said to be waterproof that were not, lights with locator beacon issues, battery drain issues, twisties with switch spring issues, and overall significant lack of brightness, etc.

scout24

Flashaholic
I think the second sentence of the post, the one you left out, answers those questions. And if you think for a minute that those problems don't exist on just about every other line of lights in existence, I think you're dreaming. If you've had all those problems, do you still own HDS lights? Why are you here in this subforum? Why haven't you found products you like and praise them in their space? Genuinely curious, not giving you a hard time.

"Overall signifigant lack of brightness"
Really? Perform as advertised. 'Nuff said.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I bought/own them as I got caught up in the suspension of disbelief, took a good hard look at them, and bought (on a whim) a different brand that blew most of these issues out of the water.

I don't buy much anymore. Increased lumens have removed the requirement to buy a new light every 6 months.

Last light I bought, a 10k lumen beast... IIRC I did drop a review here somewhere or at least a followup to my 'looking for a light' thread.

I pop in now and again to try and garner support for screw holes.

If Henry's the designer/engineer that I am used to... most of those want to be doing r&d, not futzing around with supplier issues. I think a slight redesign, with an eye toward making it more production-friendly can accomplish this.

wweiss

Enlightened
I bought/own them as I got caught up in the suspension of disbelief, took a good hard look at them, and bought (on a whim) a different brand that blew most of these issues out of the water.

I don't buy much anymore. Increased lumens have removed the requirement to buy a new light every 6 months.

Last light I bought, a 10k lumen beast... IIRC I did drop a review here somewhere or at least a followup to my 'looking for a light' thread.

If Henry's the designer/engineer that I am used to... most of those want to be doing r&d, not futzing around with supplier issues. I think a slight redesign, with an eye toward making it more production-friendly can accomplish this.
This thread sounds great - please put me on the list to buy one of the first run of your lights? Thanks.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is that working for you?
Basically you have come in and trolled and acted like a kid when mom says no to candy at the checkout counter.
Like I said before, some people don't read nor pay attention.
Henry won't do it, and I won't advocate for them because it would be pointless. If I had the slightest inkling of advocating for them before, that is gone now.
Enjoy that 10,000 lumen light.

Shooter21

Enlightened
Anybody order from HDS website recently? I placed an order the other day and I didn't receive a confirmation from Henry. Thanks

Jeff S.

Newly Enlightened
Boo the turn of this thread. Boo.

It's an enthusiast forum, and while constructive criticism is always welcome, it's not fun to read through complaining posts, nor posts wanting HDS to be something it's not. I come here for updates, questions, and technical details.

HDS is always (well I hope always) going to be a small company that builds utility lights. There's nothing else like them on the market. I want a light that is bright, efficient, durable, programmable, and that renders colors accurately. Name another light.

I get somebody not liking them for one reason or another. The HDS executive is the perfect light for me, and I feel about Surefire the way turbodog has been complaining about HDS, so to each their own. And for consistency, I'll ever only buy a light with a bezel down clip. Let's talk about clip, tints, beam patterns… and leave the snide manufacturing/economic debates alone. My two cents

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a thread for suggestions:
Suggestions For HDS Part Deux
I could certainly become a politician or marketing exec and just come on here and lie.
Would have been very easy for me to say "I'll talk to Henry about getting holes back in the lights." but that would be a LIE. I know Henry won't do it on the current light. One could say that my statement wouldn't even be a lie, because I could certainly ask Henry, but I know with 100% certainty what the answer would be as I know we have enough heads in stock that we won't be making more for a heck of a long time and sending them out to be reworked isn't an option... and I would rather not deal with the glare I would certainly get... but I could lie if that is going to make folks happy.
Sometimes I think folks want false promises and lies to just to make them feel better... hell, it would be easier on me as well to do it, but I won't.
Maybe for the rest of October I should just start blowing sunshine up some derrieres to make the thread fun. I can talk to Henry about a special run of lights with grossly over rated output levels... Heck, if the package says a million lumens, it must be a million lumens. Sweet! LOL!
If you don't the raw truth, don't ask me. I'm not a politician, a marketing guy, nor have I ever worked for the main stream media.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
... I'll ever only buy a light with a bezel down clip. Let's talk about clip, tints, beam patterns… and leave the snide manufacturing/economic debates alone...
Tints and clips? How about a couple SS40s! I have a NB35 rotary on order that may replace the SS40 rotary. The 18650 clicky is the one that gets carried - the extra length sits better in my pocket and the clip keeps it secure. The rotary is fun but doesn't leave the house much.

IMG_0682.jpeg

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a thread for suggestions:
Suggestions For HDS Part Deux
I could certainly become a politician or marketing exec and just come on here and lie.
Would have been very easy for me to say "I'll talk to Henry about getting holes back in the lights." but that would be a LIE. I know Henry won't do it on the current light. One could say that my statement wouldn't even be a lie, because I could certainly ask Henry, but I know with 100% certainty what the answer would be as I know we have enough heads in stock that we won't be making more for a heck of a long time and sending them out to be reworked isn't an option... and I would rather not deal with the glare I would certainly get... but I could lie if that is going to make folks happy.
Sometimes I think folks want false promises and lies to just to make them feel better... hell, it would be easier on me as well to do it, but I won't.
Maybe for the rest of October I should just start blowing sunshine up some derrieres to make the thread fun. I can talk to Henry about a special run of lights with grossly over rated output levels... Heck, if the package says a million lumens, it must be a million lumens. Sweet! LOL!
If you don't the raw truth, don't ask me. I'm not a politician, a marketing guy, nor have I ever worked for the main stream media.
Can we get the million lumens in HiCRI? :D

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had written my last post, but if you want to poke the bear...

So what explains my HDS lights with off center reflectors, off-center heads, switches that were said to be waterproof that were not, lights with locator beacon issues, battery drain issues, twisties with switch spring issues, and overall significant lack of brightness, etc.
"High quality" does not mean "perfect", and problems will inevitably slip through any production chain. What of it? In the case of HDS, problems seem to be rare, and everything I've seen says that Henry will happily address any reasonable customer complaint (and even some unreasonable ones) and will repair any defective product that has his initials on it.

klackey

Enlightened
Very nice looking light! I have gravitate to the clickys over the last few years............... LOVE the rotaries but for ultimate durability the clickily is the best. Weirdness is that I am finding the 18650 size the best for me.... love the runtime AND the length.

Very nice looking light.................... sure wish the next Gen HDS lights would incorporate a clicky, not just the rotaries.

blueo8

Newly Enlightened
Anybody order from HDS website recently? I placed an order the other day and I didn't receive a confirmation from Henry. Thanks
I got a tube just last week. I got a shipping notice through PayPal and then a notice from HDS that the order was received. It should go through in a couple of business days.

Shooter21

Enlightened
I got a tube just last week. I got a shipping notice through PayPal and then a notice from HDS that the order was received. It should go through in a couple of business days.
Hopefully since I ordered a tube on the 6th and emailed Henry but no response yet.

klackey

Enlightened
Hummmmm................ Very quite around here............ Sent an email about a warrantee issue to HDS on the 3rd of Oct..... Still no response.. weird.

Hope all is well, and Henry is underground (vacation), I have plenty of working HDS clickys so no big rush just odd.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hummmmm................ Very quite around here............ Sent an email about a warrantee issue to HDS on the 3rd of Oct..... Still no response.. weird.
My guess is they are actually building 18350 and 18500 tubes to fulfill the orders in the time they do not have any reflectors...
Would be cool on getting the tubes before Christmas.