HDS Systems #23

Robot Mania FU

Newly Enlightened
VBSGiw3l.jpg

Excuse my terrible pictures, but my Amber Rotary arrived today. Going to be a great companion out night fishing, but might end up staying in my pocket permanently after making my 2000k's look cool white. My pictures won't ever do it justice, but that deep amber is so satisfying.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Robot Mania FU
Yes you are right, an Amber HDS is a really great light.
In 2019 I asked Hogo about an Amber HDS since I have the Amber Surefire Aviator which was the coolest light I had before I got an Rotary with Amber LED.

If you are interested that is the story on how Amber began. It was this posting I did:

Than Hogo started the interest thread:

and at the end we had Amber! :)

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of the monochromatic lights, and I have them all, the UV is my most used... followed by amber. The UV is used for search and destroy missions in the back yard as it makes scorpions and hornworms fluoresce. I can find hornworms when they are tiny and pick them off the grape vines, pepper plants, and tomatoes before they get big... while simultaneously getting bombarded with every night flying insect within a 2 mile radius.
The flying insects stay away when the amber is used when I'm not hunting plant suckers or mini stinging lobsters.

Attachments

• IMG_5142.jpeg
    IMG_5142.jpeg
    447.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_5143.jpeg
    IMG_5143.jpeg
    329.7 KB · Views: 86

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
How can I order a 18650 or 18500 rotary tube?
The 18650 tube is listed on the HDS website and can be ordered there. Go to Products, Flashlight Accessories and you will find them. The 18500 tubes were a limited run special order. You will have to ask Henry or Hogo if there are any extras and, if there are, when and how they will be made available.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Figured I would answer this here.
1. Will there be left over 18500 and 18350 tubes? Possibly.
2. When will these, if they exist, be listed for sale? I haven't a clue right now.
3. How will these be offered? See #2 answer above.

Still getting back ordered lights out the door, then moving to the tubes. Once all the orders for the specialty tubes are out the door (very much hoping for the end of June now on those), I will contemplate the above more and figure out a plan of attack.

JKolmo

Enlightened
Ouch! Been waiting for the backlog debacle to progress until placing my next order. Seing that things appear to start moving I couldn't keep my fingers away from the custom order page, and to my great shock I note that SDR30 is no longer available. Bohoo. Will it ever come back? I have been lusting for an SDR30 for a long time now, but have refrained from ordering in order not to add to the backlog. SDR30 was there just a couple of weeks ago. Seems like a bad decision now…😢

Robot Mania FU

Newly Enlightened
@Robot Mania FU
Yes you are right, an Amber HDS is a really great light.
In 2019 I asked Hogo about an Amber HDS since I have the Amber Surefire Aviator which was the coolest light I had before I got an Rotary with Amber LED.

If you are interested that is the story on how Amber began. It was this posting I did:

Than Hogo started the interest thread:

and at the end we had Amber! :)

You all convinced me...Just placed an order for an amber rotary!

Of the monochromatic lights, and I have them all, the UV is my most used... followed by amber. The UV is used for search and destroy missions in the back yard as it makes scorpions and hornworms fluoresce. I can find hornworms when they are tiny and pick them off the grape vines, pepper plants, and tomatoes before they get big... while simultaneously getting bombarded with every night flying insect within a 2 mile radius.
The flying insects stay away when the amber is used when I'm not hunting plant suckers or mini stinging lobsters.

I'm glad to be able to see how it came about. I've been moving towards warmer and warmer lights over the years, but this is my first rotary and it serves its purpose wonderfully. I bought it for fishing at night, but I ended up carrying it permanently. The amber is too satisfying, even when compared to my 2000k emitters. It's hard to go back.

@thaugen You're going to love it. It was well worth the wait. Even when I have another light suited for the task, I still end up carrying the amber because of how satisfying it is.

I'm hoping those monochromatic lights get as much love as they deserve. They serve a purpose and in conjunction with the rotary, really fill a gap at least I personally couldn't cover. I spend a majority of my time outside of work fishing....and when I say a majority, I mean A MAJORITY. My life is on the water and it's made it so much more comfortable not having my face swarmed by bugs when I'm trying to see what I'm doing. Comfort aside, I'm always at a compromise between eyes adjusting to light at night and the ability to make things out in the water that I could potentially run into running the boat. Red may be the best for keeping night vision, but shadows and objects in the water don't show up fast enough for me. The amber is a happy medium. It keeps my night vision, while still allowing me to make out shapes and shadows in the water. Also, I don't know if there is any science to this, but at least to my eyes it cuts through the inherent fog over the water better than anything else I've used......and admittedly, in the two weeks I've been carrying it, I may have dropped it in the river and banged it up across some rocks in the current before I was able to chase it down. Didn't even flicker.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
SDR30 was there just a couple of weeks ago. Seems like a bad decision now…😢
That is really bad luck... :( I ordered my SDR30 long time ago (a year or so) and got is a few weeks ago. It is a great LED option, nice and warm.

Maybe I have time to make an update of the HDS Emitter compare that I did years ago. But there is NB27 open... maybe I wait for the Nichia 219B 2700K.

SleepyInTheSun

Newly Enlightened
Figured I would answer this here.
1. Will there be left over 18500 and 18350 tubes? Possibly.
2. When will these, if they exist, be listed for sale? I haven't a clue right now.
3. How will these be offered? See #2 answer above.

Still getting back ordered lights out the door, then moving to the tubes. Once all the orders for the specialty tubes are out the door (very much hoping for the end of June now on those), I will contemplate the above more and figure out a plan of attack.
What's current turnaround time on repairs? I have a stand in from another company that while I like it well enough it isn't the same as my beloved rotary… and my thumb is getting a bit sore from trying to turn the tailcap, muscle memory just won't update!

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might not be the place to ask but……… Has any one ever made a HDS Mule?
I have a white diffusor in my Amber which is my most used light, but a dedicated Mule would be exceptional.

Last edited: