HDS Systems #23

klackey

Enlightened
That is a work of art............... impressive...... I am hoping for an impressive tool.... OK, any HDS besides Aluminum is venturing in a bit of bling/ jewelry.

I do enjoy the special metal HDS lights........ But at the heart it is still a HDS tool. They just look nice and feel better.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Monel alloy is just as good)) It is almost nothing to fear from chemical influences, and on top of it is covered with a thin layer of gold and then rhodium. Gold is needed so that rhodium does not have cracks in the surface.

And that nickel-titanium alloy - SM-100 (Nitinol)

1656090251223.png

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
rhodium as in soft and more expensive then platinum?
Approximately 14 times more expensive
and it is more wear resistant than platinum

evg12

Newly Enlightened
uhm... I mean...
$3800 for a flashlight. Thanks, that makes me feel much better about buying a $400 HDS Rotary now.

EDIT: Oh, there's a $10 fee for custom lights, just read it on the page. I don't remember this extra $10 before... is it new? Anyway... ignore below.
BTW, the calculated price on the custom HDS page is off. Base rotary costs $347. When I choose an LED (say the SDR50) the page says "Add $36" which should total $383, but instead it shows a total of $393. Adding other items after that adds the right amount to the total. To me it looks like the base price should have been $357. :unsure:

Last edited:

Stoneking

Enlightened
I'm sure there are those of us who won't be able to resist whatever Hogo comes up with.

evg12

Newly Enlightened
Gotcha, l like seeing my math add up and now I can sleep tonight. :) I have no issue with the price increase and understand the reasoning behind it. I will never buy a $3k+ light as my flashlights are more of a tool than a work of art (though it could be both, of course). I have a rotary and like it as a tool and a daily EDC. The rotary interface is great and I prefer it compared to the RRT01 but the price means I'll own fewer of them than I'd like to, but that's just a personal decision/circumstance.

Hoosier Light

Newly Enlightened
Hogo--
Any idea what the wait time would be for a rotary with an SDR50 emitter would be? The website seems to say you are not very close to being caught up.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am contemplating a Zirconium run of Rotaries as you may know.
I was thinking about trying to add some Clickies to that as I generally snub that particular red-headed ******* step child... but then I was thinking, and got some feedback from some other internet corners and thought... what if HDS did a run of titanium Clickies at the same time and didn't do Zirconium Clickies...
So, Zirc Rotaries and Titanium Clickies... at least that is my thought.
Of course, it would greatly depend on demand.

And just to put it out there, no, the knurling on a current batch of titanium Clickies would not be the same as the knurling on the original run of titanium Clickies but would be the standard knurling found on the current lights. (I knew someone would ask for that sharper stuff).