Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Attachments

• IMG_5868.jpeg
    IMG_5868.jpeg
    454.9 KB · Views: 98

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sad day. Lost my many years old cool white Rotary on a bike ride. I forgot to remove it from the handlebar holder, and somewhere on a five mile trek over a gnarly single track trail, it jiggled loose. I glanced down and noticed it missing with no idea when or where it might have fallen off. I suppose I could have gone back slowly over the trail and searched for it, but trying to find a three inch long black object in the woods sounded like an exercise in futility, so it's now a gift to whatever lucky person might stumble across it. At least I still have my primary EDC light, a high CRI Rotary that always lives in my pocket.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man that stinks! 😕 Sounds like a good excuse for another bike ride.
I doubt there is any hope of my finding it. It would be akin to winning the lottery. Not to mention that searching while riding would be almost impossible since it's a fairly technical trail that requires concentration if you don't want to wreck.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Lost my many years old cool white Rotary on a bike ride. I suppose I could have gone back slowly over the trail and searched for it...
I've found too many 'impossible to find' items over the years to even consider not going back. Hope you change your mind. Only one thing is sure, if you don't go, you won't find it.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I take offense at this comment...

Not really.

Now this is the real way
I went to the beach recently…lady staying next door to us needed help setting up her Academy Canopy. Afterwards she said the world needs more rednecks like me because we know how to do stuff. Lol

@the.Mtn.Man - that sucks. It's the one that I can't find that brings out the crazy. I lost a golden dragon HDS in my woods and used my neighbors metal detector to find it. Otherwise I would have never found it.

The other day I spent a couple hours looking for a holster I don't carry that goes to a gun I don't shoot. I saw it missing and that was all it took.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
@the.Mtn.Man - I would go look for it. I lost two items on two separate 40 mile long bike rides within the past year - my speedometer and the battery cage for my Fenix handlebar light. I went back for both and found both. I figured more exercise is only good for me.

The speedometer I found in the last 4 miles of the ride but I started searching at the halfway mark. It was smaller than a HDS light and it continues to work well. The battery cage I found in the first 4 miles of the ride. I searched half of the ride length starting from the halfway point going to the beginning of the ride. I found it and it was run over by a car and unusable. But, I am happy I found it because now I will not wonder what happened to it.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I would go look for it. I lost two items on two separate 40 mile long bike rides within the past year - my speedometer and the battery cage for my Fenix handlebar light. I went back for both and found both.
I like a happy ending. One of my best finds was losing my favorite Benchmade knife in the snow when I was breaking trail, then it lightly snowed for the next couple days before I could get back to where I'd had to use it whittling a small stick for the emergency starting hookup on the snowmachine clutch.
When I went back a couple days later, I picked up all kinds of sticks along the way, anything that looked like it could be my knife in the snow, and finally found it all the way up alongside the creek where I'd been stuck. Always worth looking.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went back out and looked today. I didn't expect to find it, and I didn't. Challenging ride, though, since it had rained last night, and the trail and exposed tree roots were very slick. It forced me to go slow and carefully choose my line which also gave me an opportunity to scan the ground for anything that might look like an HDS Rotary. I also chose to walk the roughest, root covered downhill bits where the light would have most likely shaken loose. Since it has a black bezel, there's nothing that would make it stand out from the forest floor. For all I know, it fell off into a creek as I was riding over one of the many narrow bridges, or it tumbled down a slope and into the thick brush and fallen leaves that line the trail.

I think the only way I might have any chance of finding it would be to walk the trail and spend hours slowly searching inch by inch, and ain't nobody got time for that. I ride the trail once or twice a week, so who knows, maybe one of these days it will miraculously catch my eye.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
For all I know, it fell off into a creek as I was riding over one of the many narrow bridges, or it tumbled down a slope and into the thick brush and fallen leaves that line the trail.

I think the only way I might have any chance of finding it would be to walk the trail and spend hours slowly searching inch by inch, and ain't nobody got time for that. I ride the trail once or twice a week, so who knows, maybe one of these days it will miraculously catch my eye.
Glad you went and tried, and maybe on subsequent trips you'll take a look at a couple of those tumble prone areas. Then again, it might also be worth posting a lost and found anywhere you can locally. I found some Airpods last year and put a lost and found ad up in hopes of finding the owner, and you might get lucky that way too.

Hope you keep trying, because it would make a killer thread. Lost HDS Rotary, found again at last!

Hello everyone, I'm wondering and haven't been able to find much info on this specific topic. Has anyone dedomed their 219b emitters in the rotary? If you have, what was the outcome?

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everyone, I'm wondering and haven't been able to find much info on this specific topic. Has anyone dedomed their 219b emitters in the rotary? If you have, what was the outcome?
I do not have ever read that somone did this. Maybe the throw increase, but the great light color will suffer. The NB30-NB40 have a almost perfect color over the complete beam (inner to outer). Only the NB45 has a difference in the beam in the inner to outer area.
Removing the dome will result in ugly beam colors. At least that is what I expect. And that would be a pity for that great LED Options.

I do not have ever read that somone did this. Maybe the throw increase, but the great light color will suffer. The NB30-NB40 have a almost perfect color over the complete beam (inner to outer). Only the NB45 has a difference in the beam in the inner to outer area.
Removing the dome will result in ugly beam colors. At least that is what I expect. And that would be a pity for that great LED Options.
Hey man! Thanks for the prompt answer! I was genuinely wondering as some of the sw40's I've had, have been a tad green to my eye. Not as bad as sst20 4000k but still. Thanks again, don't plan on messing with it at this time.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey man! Thanks for the prompt answer! I was genuinely wondering as some of the sw40's I've had, have been a tad green to my eye. Not as bad as sst20 4000k but still. Thanks again, don't plan on messing with it at this time.

That could be the glass, too.
Then you would be really fiesty when you went through all that, changed the cct, and still had that green b\c it may be from the glass.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've sliced my 351D and High Noon. Hotspot is now much more intense and Duv lowered significantly and without any artifacts in the beam.
Dedomming actually improves beam quality and throw but i would not recommend slicing 219B for sure. It's perfect!

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
How painful. At least you know that it will survive the elements while it waits to be rediscovered. I'm curious to know if this experience changes or reinvents your handle bar mount.
I mainly use the handle bar mount when I'm on the road and want to maximize my visibility to motorists, so it's not something that will get much use in rough and tumble off-road riding. That said, it probably would have been fine if I had taken a moment to cinch the velcro tighter, or if I had attached the light in the narrow midsection where the head and the tail would have prevented it from sliding out from the strap. Best of all would be if I had simply remembered to remove it and put it in my pocket before hitting the trail.

I do wish I had followed a tip someone posted on these forums many moons ago of putting my contact information on a small slip of paper and placing it inside the battery tube. That, at least, would have increased my chances of it being returned if somebody else happened to find it. I may very well do that with my remaining Rotary.

Naturally, I'm tempted to buy another light to have "just in case", but HDS products are not nearly as affordable as they used to be.

Latest posts