HDS Systems #23

klackey

Enlightened
The tail O-rings are generally not considered "user serviceable" so those sizes are not well known. I am sure HDS will let you know. You are a brave person opening up the tail of a rotary....

What caused you to open it up?

Last edited:

midget

Enlightened
The tail O-rings are generally not considered "user serviceable" so those sizes are not well known. I am sure HDS will let you know. You are a brave person opening up the tail of a rotary....

What caused you to open it up?

uh oh..

My light had some saltwater/sand exposure recently and I wanted to proactively clean out the moving parts. It has been my EDC for maybe 3+ years now and I thought was worth the inspection and cleaning. I will call HDS and see how I can get this resolved.

LRJ88

Enlightened
uh oh..

My light had some saltwater/sand exposure recently and I wanted to proactively clean out the moving parts. It has been my EDC for maybe 3+ years now and I thought was worth the inspection and cleaning. I will call HDS and see how I can get this resolved.
Are the o-rings cracked or otherwise damaged? If not i'd get some lithium/gasket grease, get them nice and lubed up, and assembly it again. There should be some pictures and instructions in thread #12 if memory serves but i might be wrong.

Stoneking

Enlightened
hello Gentlemen, I'm sorry if this question has been asked before (I did search) -- can anyone point me to the spec or source for replacement o-rings within the HDS rotary mechanism?
Your best bet is to use a caliper and buy them online. You can order just about any size o-ring. Just read about the materials before order, to find out what would best work for you. This is what I've done over the years and it's always worked out very well for me.

Got my two Nichia customs in today...these things are incredible! Should have gotten the 2700 as well. Very well done, HDS.

lithium/gasket grease
Off-topic, but Super Lube is awesome for this kind of thing. Plays nice with o-rings, it's dielectric and very, very smooth. Also cheap and easy to find! Recently discovered as I also use it to lube my ratchets and anything electric like electric guitar pots, etc.

LRJ88

Enlightened
Got my two Nichia customs in today...these things are incredible! Should have gotten the 2700 as well. Very well done, HDS.

Off-topic, but Super Lube is awesome for this kind of thing. Plays nice with o-rings, it's dielectric and very, very smooth. Also cheap and easy to find! Recently discovered as I also use it to lube my ratchets and anything electric like electric guitar pots, etc.
I think i saw something about that a while back in the lube thread. Any good option works wonders, in my case getting Nitecore grease is easier and with how much i need it lasts ages.

Robot Mania FU

Newly Enlightened
tvNrII0l.jpg

Got my panda NB27 in today to go with my Amber and I am LOVING it.

Jeff S.

Newly Enlightened
For those with all the NB's, which appears more rosey between the NB30 and NB35? Which might be a warmer version of the NB45?

After hours and hours of searching beamshots, I thought I'd just ask. The NB45 is my perfect LED. Love the pure tint with the slightly rosey hue. Wouldn't even mind it being a bit more rosey. While it's my perfect light, I've been wanting something a little warmer, as at night, with yellow lights everywhere, the NB45 can appear a bit blue.

I want something warmer (than the NB45) without going so far as appearing like an incandescent. I'd much rather have a tint be too pink than too yellow. I've been looking at a ton of beam shots between the NB30, NB35, and NB40. Some pictures make the NB35 appear more rosey than the NB30, while others it's the opposite. Which is more rosey to your eyes?

Thanks

Kalsu

Enlightened
For those with all the NB's, which appears more rosey between the NB30 and NB35? Which might be a warmer version of the NB45?

After hours and hours of searching beamshots, I thought I'd just ask. The NB45 is my perfect LED. Love the pure tint with the slightly rosey hue. Wouldn't even mind it being a bit more rosey. While it's my perfect light, I've been wanting something a little warmer, as at night, with yellow lights everywhere, the NB45 can appear a bit blue.

I want something warmer (than the NB45) without going so far as appearing like an incandescent. I'd much rather have a tint be too pink than too yellow. I've been looking at a ton of beam shots between the NB30, NB35, and NB40. Some pictures make the NB35 appear more rosey than the NB30, while others it's the opposite. Which is more rosey to your eyes?

Thanks

This is all subjective, but to me my NB40 is more rosy/neutral than my NB35. The NB35 is noticeably warmer and more incandescent like when I compare it to the NB40. If you aren't into the warmer/incandescent tints the NB30 might be to yellow for you.

I have the NB30 and NB40. I notice the 219B rosy thing more in the NB40. The NB30 appears warm but the rosy tint is quite vague. It actually appears very neutral in real darkness or around warmer lights. It has become my go-to night-walking light.

ETA I'm surprised how the NB30 avoids appearing muddy or overly yellow. In contrast to my Malkoff WM61LLLL (XP-G?) which is sickeningly yellow no matter what conditions it's used in. (And I love it for that.)

Last edited:

Jeff S.

Newly Enlightened
Thank you guys. Though decisions. Just to clarify my own thinking, I do want something warm. The NB45 is my perfect overall light, and outdoors is feels so white and neutral, all the while making colors pop.

I'm looking for something warmer, something that'll be used indoors to bounce light off of the ceiling. I think I was all set on the NB35, but then saw this picture, and started second guessing. Warmer means yellow to an extent, but I also want reds to pop.

AZHU photography from budgetlightforums. The NB30 in this pic has a tint I think I'd love. But crossing beams in a photograph can be misleading, let alone bins and individual led variations.

Attachments

• 6032852D-74F9-4D15-B277-B20E5BA21C77.jpeg
    6032852D-74F9-4D15-B277-B20E5BA21C77.jpeg
    636.4 KB · Views: 148

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is a showel a special German invention for comparing a large number of HDS flashlights? 😉