HDS Systems #23

indigon

Enlightened
Same here, I have a SDR50, NC50-HDSRB and NC57 high noon which are my go-to lights these days depending on mood. I seem to prefer the higher Kelvin High-CRI throwers for EDC..
trio.jpg

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I went back to school for a bit because I was bored and wanted to tick off a few skills on my "should probably learn this" list. Last day of class was on Wednesday 17th, took the NREMT test on Thursday the 18th. Got the results on Friday the 19th. Received my AZ EMT license on Monday the 22nd. Applied at a place on Tuesday the 23rd. Interviewed at said place today the 24th and was hired. Will be going to paramedic school next year.
All this because I didn't want to say "Welcome to Walmart" like other people my age.
So my question then is this... should I keep this as a tag line?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-24 at 3.04.29 PM.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-24 at 3.04.29 PM.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 82

LRJ88

Enlightened
So I went back to school for a bit because I was bored and wanted to tick off a few skills on my "should probably learn this" list. Last day of class was on Wednesday 17th, took the NREMT test on Thursday the 18th. Got the results on Friday the 19th. Received my AZ EMT license on Monday the 22nd. Applied at a place on Tuesday the 23rd. Interviewed at said place today the 24th and was hired. Will be going to paramedic school next year.
All this because I didn't want to say "Welcome to Walmart" like other people my age.
So my question then is this... should I keep this as a tag line?
No, this line is quite outdated now and it might be borderline offensive. It should read "I play with almost dead things." to be able to stay a step ahead of them jerks trying to use stuff like that in legal cases. And if they want to come at you, just take out your squirrel pen case and select your most "off you ****" pen when addressing them.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
More on topic post.
We tested some 519a 5700 from a different real. Not a big difference from the first real of 5700. Still around the 5000-5200k depending on the power fed the emitter.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something mismarked from the factory?
Not when two reals show the same results. Maybe they get to that with full-power being driven through the emitter, which we don't do. At the levels we drive them, they are pretty consistent at 5200 at 200 lumens and drop to around 5000k at the lower levels.
While not 5700k, they are extremely nice. I can't call it the High Noon 2 in good conscience as they don't quite reach that 5600-5700 mark, but... still nice enough for me to carry one, or two.
The CRI was between 96-97, so we will list them at 96. They are pretty efficient... but do not quite make the 250 lumen mark at the levels we prefer to drive emitters. These will be calibrated at 200.
Lead time is 5 weeks... but if you get a silver bezel, that lead time may shorten up a little. Our guy who engraves the black bezels went on a bender... so we will probably have to bail him out in a bit.
They should be up on the HDS website in an hour or so.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any chance we will get 4 and 4500k? How's the throw and runtime compared to the 219B?
Should be offering some other temps down the road. Probably around a Henry two weeks, but it will eventually happen.
As far as throw, I can throw it as far as any of the other HDS lights. Runtime will be noticeably longer.

Here are a few obligatory beam shots.

Attachments

• IMG_7453.jpeg
    IMG_7453.jpeg
    555.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_7610.jpeg
    IMG_7610.jpeg
    333.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_7612.jpeg
    IMG_7612.jpeg
    590.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_7613.jpeg
    IMG_7613.jpeg
    244.5 KB · Views: 94

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
As most of you know, I'm not a big fan of "beam shots". I think they are sort of akin to women's photos on dating websites... the better they look, the greater the chance it is really some dude in a basement trying to scam you to send money.
But here is one of the original High Noon and then the 519a 5200k (5700).
I think the throw is equal. I have old eyes so YMMV. The photos don't show it, but in a side by side, one can tell that the 5200 IS 5200. The High Noon is very white in comparison. That being said, maybe it is my eyes, but the 5200 looks... sharper... cleaner... don't really know how to explain it. I think it is the super high CRI just makes things look a little better. I honestly wouldn't have thought a little increase in CRI would make that big of a difference... but there you go.

Attachments

• 519a5200.jpeg
    519a5200.jpeg
    523 KB · Views: 116
  • High Noon.jpeg
    High Noon.jpeg
    552.5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

indigon

Enlightened
Thanks much for the pics. Looks like the 5200 has a little less concentrated hotspot and a little more peripheral illumination compared to the 5700 high noon. I realize this is an unscientific comparison but I like what I see in the NA52.

Edited to add: I was studying the above pics by Hogo and looks like there is some better detail in the terrain with the 5200 probably from the higher CRI combined with a slightly more diffused hotspot. I took the liberty of pasting the pics together (cropped only, not retouched) and gives it another perspective. Again totally unscientific. Anyway I think I'll take one for the team and pull the trigger on one, this is in my preferred temp range.. 🤙😊

nc57__na52.jpg

Last edited:

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
As most of you know, I'm not a big fan of "beam shots". I think they are sort of akin to women's photos on dating websites... the better they look, the greater the chance it is really some dude in a basement trying to scam you to send money.
That is totally true, I am sure there are a lot "dudes" sending money getting a NA52 after seeing the beamshots. The only point is we are not getting scammed! :)

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dedoming the 519a

As many of you may have heard from the hoopla on the net about dedoming the 519a, not a lot of actual scientific data seems to be out there. Let's fix that.

First, if you are going to dedome it, there is a glass plate under the silicone. You do not want to take the glass with the dome, and that is entirely possible. Taking that square piece of glass off will be bad for you, and good for HDS as most likely, we will be selling you a new head.

Here are the findings:
All at the 200 lumen level.
CCT drop of 1300
Efficiency down 15%
CRI increase by .7
Spot intensity increased by 88%
There wasn't a significant change going to 50 lumens.

There was a big drop in blue and green output, and an increase in red output as can be seen by the graphs from the sphere.
You can also see the beam shots on the ceiling where you can see the spot intensity increase.

And before any asks, no. HDS will not be dedoming these.

Attachments

• 200 Luman Dedomed.PNG
    200 Luman Dedomed.PNG
    122.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 200 Luman with Silicone Dome.PNG
    200 Luman with Silicone Dome.PNG
    121 KB · Views: 77
  • 519a DD.jpeg
    519a DD.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 519a.jpeg
    519a.jpeg