HDS Systems EDC #14

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbp

Flashaholic
They are not interchangeable; totally different switch guts.

So anyone with a rotary and a new gen edc try their rotary switch on their edc? Does it work or are the threads different? In the hds site for both it says ' stout acme threads'

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
Yeah, that is how I feel. None of my other lights (4 purchased new) from HDS had this much lube. Somehow I don't think Henry works alone, assembling every light. I wouldn't be surprised if he does participate in assembly, but I would think that he has some help with the assembly of hundreds to low thousands of lights (I am unsure about his volume).

Both my HDS (140Ex. & 170T) came well lubed and work perfectly, however the tail compartment of the 140Ex. was packed with grease and I do mean packed! I don't think Henry would have used/wasted that much lube. It was like opening a jar of ointment.

nbp

Flashaholic
Yeah, sorry. Plus the traditional clicky does not have the right brain in the head to understand what a rotary switch is or what it does anyways. It wouldn't even process the commands.

Bummer.... Was hoping to be able to buy rotary switch and body for my 120 to c how i like it...

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven't been keeping up with this thread on a daily basis so I may have missed it. Has anybody come up with decent clip solution for the Rotary yet?
Otherwise, I think I'm about ready to just order the next 200 clicky I can find.

Mtbmurf

Newly Enlightened
Haven't been keeping up with this thread on a daily basis so I may have missed it. Has anybody come up with decent clip solution for the Rotary yet?
Otherwise, I think I'm about ready to just order the next 200 clicky I can find.

Page 20 post 596

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Careful, post 586 clarifies that the Moddoo clip is for a CLICKY not a Rotary. There is no clip solution for the rotary yet.

Aargh, too bad. Well, at least I hadn't ordered it yet!! I wonder if it can be drilled for a custom clip?

Edit...oh, and thanks for the heads up!!

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
I turned off my locator flash, my battery only lasted a month before it was showing low battery.

Mtbmurf

Newly Enlightened
Aargh, too bad. Well, at least I hadn't ordered it yet!! I wonder if it can be drilled for a custom clip?

Edit...oh, and thanks for the heads up!!

Sorryy.... I had the end of ur post in mind when i showed the clip... Was thinking 200 clickie not rotary...thanks calipsoii for watching out...

cdosrun

Enlightened
Received my rotary today, I sent mine back about 4 weeks ago, the day after I got it (to fix the reset bug). Some observations:
1. I'm an idiot for sending it back in the first place. The UI is amazing, programming is fun, low battery indicator is awesome, etc.
2. My factory reset works.
3. Burst is still disabled from the factory, when enabled it is still 40 seconds.
4. Firmware version code is 00010100 00000010 00000010 OR 20.22 if I did the binary correctly.

Tyjo,

Thank you for grabbing that, I was really intrigued to see if the results were sensible like with the older models. I can't work out what it means though, as my torch (original firmware with reset fault) flashes back 70.0.48 which certainly doesn't accord with yours. Oh well, my intrigue will have to remain.

Thank you again,

Andrew

freq18hz

Newly Enlightened
Freq wants to remind Powernoodle of the duty he has to his other addictions...

It may be time for Freq's first HDS...:eek:

-Freq

Thanks for the love. I have been out of the flashlight game for a while - because I strayed into knives - but I'm back where I belong.

The HDS lineup has continued to evolve over the last few years. I think I need a new one, but its going to take me a while to get up to speed on the new lineup and figure things out.

:)

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I turned off my locator flash, my battery only lasted a month before it was showing low battery.
Did you use the light at all during that time? I ran down an RCR123 or two just messing around with the programming.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you use the light at all during that time? I ran down an RCR123 or two just messing around with the programming.

I played with it, but no intense work. I have RCR123's for it, and I could just swap them out every month or so, but I don't want to. Someone else had posted that they leave the "customize" enabled, and just activate the locator flash as needed. I would like to set it as one of the levels, then just click to it at night. That would be ideal.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was one fellow around here who ran his Clicky with the locater flash for something like 3-years. Of course that was with no other use, but the general conclusion is that the draw of the locater flash should be minimal.

SaturnNyne

Enlightened
They are not interchangeable; totally different switch guts.
Plus the traditional clicky does not have the right brain in the head to understand what a rotary switch is or what it does anyways. It wouldn't even process the commands.
Hm, has this actually been tested to make certain? How totally different are the guts? As far as I could tell from photos, it looked like the click part of the switch is about the same as ever, and I'm unaware of a reason why they wouldn't be. Since the Rotary and second gen Clicky came out at the same time, it's possible that any Clicky with compatible threads has also been taught how to understand the rotor. Right? I take it from your wording that you haven't physically tested this or heard of someone else doing it, please correct me if I just missed it, I haven't read everything here very closely.

And more importantly, even if the new Clicky can't understand the rotor, does the Clicky switch work on a Rotary head? Don't they have the same threads, same contact wire, and same button? If everything aside from the rotor in the Rotary switch is wired the same as in the Clicky switch, it would allow Rotary owners to purchase the less expensive Clicky accessory bodies, if they do become available.

Getting back to the other way around, Clicky head on Rotary switch, if a C body does work on an R, would there be any point in continuing to make heads that are unable to understand the rotor, rather than just sticking the same programming on all of them, like he did with the Twisty even though it didn't have any means to access the additional features? That would mean that the only difference between the current EDC models would be the switch that's mounted, so has that indeed been tested and disproved? As far as I'm aware, the only real evidence so far that this isn't the case is that the custom shop doesn't allow us to create lower output Rotaries, which there'd probably be a lot of demand for.

Sorry that was babbly, I'm kinda pondering out loud when I should be doing other things....

kromeke

Enlightened
Hm, has this actually been tested to make certain? How totally different are the guts? As far as I could tell from photos, it looked like the click part of the switch is about the same as ever, and I'm unaware of a reason why they wouldn't be. Since the Rotary and second gen Clicky came out at the same time, it's possible that any Clicky with compatible threads has also been taught how to understand the rotor. Right? I take it from your wording that you haven't physically tested this or heard of someone else doing it, please correct me if I just missed it, I haven't read everything here very closely.

And more importantly, even if the new Clicky can't understand the rotor, does the Clicky switch work on a Rotary head? Don't they have the same threads, same contact wire, and same button? If everything aside from the rotor in the Rotary switch is wired the same as in the Clicky switch, it would allow Rotary owners to purchase the less expensive Clicky accessory bodies, if they do become available.

On the older clickies, the third wire was a simple signal wire. On the rotaries, this third wire I believe is a communications bus. The rotaries have a chip in the tailcap. I haven't seen the new clickies in the flesh, but I don't think Henry would add complexity where it isn't needed.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Just got my new Rotary today, from a WTB on CPFMP. I've only had it ten minutes, I like it! :thumbsup:

Like others have said, the rotary frees up the other levels for the blinky modes. :tinfoil:

I noticed this lil washer under the SS bezel. Can it be removed for a Moddo clip? They almost look the same thickness...

Pic:
614478037_photobucket_50727_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.