HDS Systems EDC # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

smarkum

Enlightened
Home of the Jayhawks - Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!
I have had this rotary since the very first batch. As you can see, it has been through the ringer. It was first butchered by myself . . . I took a dremmel tool to it in an attempt to make a trit slot. (I thought . . . . how hard can it be?)
I made a hole RIGHT through the wire that runs through the tube! An important wire for sure. So I sent it to a friend who patched it for me and at some point it went to another friend for some milled slots done by machine!
As you can see, I only used some of the slots that were milled. I have used and abused this light. It has been dropped, dropped and dropped some more and has keep right on working.
Recently it started acting up. When I would turn the dial all the way to low from any rotary setting, once it reached the stopper thing, it would flash VERY brightly before staying at the lowest setting.
I figured it was a function of all the abuse it has endured. But, I contacted Henry and then sent it to him to see if it might be a warranty issue, or if I needed to buy a new tube.
Well, it arrived home after a week or so and is working perfectly! I don't know what the identified diagnosis was , but he said it was covered and he fixed it!
So, those of you wondering if a light is "still covered", I can only tell you to send it in and let Henry do what Henry does. Build great products and stand behind them. Thank you Henry.
You want pics in this thread?
Well, DON'T laugh. . .

CYMERA_20140719_200546_zpsyzmam7tj.jpg

Really, it doesn't look too bad in this photo, but I showed the "good side"!
Would I pay for an option with a lesser warranty? Heck no. Nor do I think Henry would offer one. . . after-all, it is the light that gets me home.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I already said, I don't care about warranty if the light is sub $100. Give me a 90 day warranty so I can return it if it's DOA, other than that I'll take my chances.

As a consumer, I don't care if a company still exists in 10 years. I care about whether or not I can afford to buy something at a reasonable price. A light that costs $250 means I'll never own it. A light that costs $100 means I'll get it.

Let a company take a risk at producing such a light. Maybe they'll succeed, maybe they won't. In the meantime, I'll get a well-made light that is manufactured on-mass to take advantage of economies of scale.

From the sounds of it, Henry seems like a micro-manager so wouldn't go for expanding his business to mass produce. But he's not going to be around forever, so maybe he'll license it or sell the rights of production eventually.

There are several very good lights at that price point. 4 Sevens, Fenix, Armytek, etc. By your same philosophy, I should start mass producing cheap nylon holsters, Porche should start making economy cars, etc.
As a business owner myself, it's very important to me that my business is around in 10 years. My customers are not interested in cheap nylon or "Uncle Mikes" holsters they can buy at Walmart. They will spend over $2k on a custom rig. It's all about ones target market as a business. If you try to please everyone, you will please no one.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on that!.

There are several very good lights at that price point. 4 Sevens, Fenix, Armytek, etc. By your same philosophy, I should start mass producing cheap nylon holsters, Porche should start making economy cars, etc.
As a business owner myself, it's very important to me that my business is around in 10 years. My customers are not interested in cheap nylon or "Uncle Mikes" holsters they can buy at Walmart. They will spend over $2k on a custom rig. It's all about ones target market as a business. If you try to please everyone, you will please no one.

calflash

Enlightened
Walkintothelight: please consider that it is insulting to refer to someone as a micro-manager. To be a micro manager you must have someone to manage. This is not the case with HDS since and therefore the term does not apply. Henry seems to strive for a higher degree of quality than "average". There is nothing wrong with that.

Also, there are a couple things to consider about the price point:

1)features/u.i. - the other brands mentioned don't include u.i. features like HDS because they can not do it for the price they are asking. Those lights would quickly reach a similar price if they matched the u.i. and feature list of HDS.

2)quality - in most cases, HDS will outlast other aforementioned lights under rigorous use. So the price point is justifiable since you would end up buying more than one of the cheaper lights over a given time period of hard use. It sounds like that is not your application so it makes perfect sense why the price point is disagreeable to you. It is good to realize though, that there are applications where the cheaper options are not good enough.

rpm00

Enlightened
I agree with calflash re micromanager comment. I would rather describe this as attention to detail and relentless commitment to quality. And those are the two primary reasons I buy HDS.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here,... It's certainly surely is " the light that will get you home",... And that's what I need, so cost for me is really out the question.

I agree with calflash re micromanager comment. I would rather describe this as attention to detail and relentless commitment to quality. And those are the two primary reasons I buy HDS.

Gadgetman7

Enlightened
Friends of mine just paid $200 for a Surefire E1D. It's a good solid light with a similar warranty. However, it has none of the programming features nor is there a choice of emitters.

While I wish there didn't need to be a price increase I can understand it. $269 for a rotary is expensive but compared to comparable mass produced lights it's not out of line for what you get.

Unfortunately it means that many people won't be able to afford them. That's the downside that I see. I'll still purchase the lights if Henry continues to innovate and I hope the increase keeps him in business.

Last edited:

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
I certainly can afford them, and just like hogo said,... If you try and please everybody, in the end ,..you end up pleasing no one.
we have to keep Henry in business,... Otherwise we'll be out of business without his lights!.

Friends of mine just paid $200 for a Surefire E1D. It's a good solid light with a similar warranty. However, it has none of the programming features nor is there a choice of emitters.

While I wish there didn't need to be a price increase I can understand it. $269 for a rotary is expensive but compared to comparable mass produced lights it's not out of line for what you get.

Unfortunately it means that many people won't be able to afford them. That's the downside that I see. I'll still purchase the lights if Henry continues to innovate and I hope the increase keeps him in business.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO this price increase will be a thing of past once the market gets accustom to it. In regards to warranty's, it may not be important to some, but to me, it IS very important!

Call HDS, an Henry will answer the phone. If he's busy, he'll set up a time for you to call so he can fully answer your question. Got a problem with the light, send it in an it's taken cared of.

For example; I called Henry, while working with me, "HE" told me to send it in since he felt something was not right with my light. Bada-Bing-Bahda-Boom, a week latter, got the light back working as it should.

Try calling Malkoff Devises, guess who going to answer the phone? I'll bet $10.00 bucks a Malkoff will answer. Have a question, if he has the time. Gene will talk with you not only about the light/s, but other topics as well.

Got a problem with your Dark Sucks Alpha. Jason will make it right!

I presently own five Surefires, don't have any issues with them (other then "Why Did You Put So Much Red Loctite on the Fury" ... lol). However, after reading about their stellar warranty is why I purchased their lights.

Manufactoure's warranty, as well as a modder backing his work is very important!

BTW, I'm one of the people who doesn't have a lot of expendable cash to flash around. That aside, I may not be able to purchase it right off, but I will save up to buy a quality tool that has the support behind it.

Pops

:tinfoil: ... Just in case! .... :tinfoil:

OK Calvin I'm done writing. NOW get out from under the covers and help me wash your Jeep will yah?

Last edited:

gottawearshades

Enlightened
:laughing:And this surprised you? :crackup:

. . . . Recently it started acting up. . . . .

CYMERA_20140719_200546_zpsyzmam7tj.jpg

Really, it doesn't look too bad in this photo, but I showed the "good side"!
Would I pay for an option with a lesser warranty? Heck no. Nor do I think Henry would offer one. . . after-all, it is the light that gets me home.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
AZPops, Calvin looks a little too comfortable. Think you'll be washing that jeep solo.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. I want the HDS software, but don't care about the hardware surviving a war. I don't abuse my lights. Why doesn't HDS license out their software? Or, if it's not patented, another company should just copy the UI. Well, eventually someone in China will do this. I guess I'll have to wait.

I have tried to stay out of this, I really have, but I have very strong opinions about some of your comments.

There are likely some who would agree with you but you won't find many of them in this thread. This should be no surprise, as this thread, just like the 15 that preceded it, are for discussion of HDS lights. Not the business model, not the poor judgement of those who would pay so much for a light, nor the motivation(s) of the person who builds the lights. These sorts of discussions are notorious for steering a thread far off topic.

Your points may be worth discussion and I suggest, without any sort of authority, that you begin your own thread so that you may present the topic in your own terms rather than entering a thread with 6400+ posts and trying to change it to your topic. If you do so, I will be happy to engage in discussion there. I'm sure others will as well.

In the meantime, I will make an on-topic contribution . . .

i.php

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
AZPops, Calvin looks a little too comfortable. Think you'll be washing that jeep solo.

LOL ... Yeah, buy him a new Jeep and I gotta wash it for him. He's lucky he's got a servant to do stuff for him! ... LOL

In regards to HDS. Although Henry had to increase the price of his Rotary. This is what it took to get the manufacturing of his lights in track, so be it. I write this because IMO that Henry was trying extremely hard to keep his prices, but in doing so, he suffered scrutiny as well as other words my simple mind can't come up with all due to his inability in getting his product out to his customers within a specific window.

Heck, if you have the time to go back a few years in this HDS thread, To be honest, I spoke up on his shipping fees and such. However, after my dealings with Henry, the time he spent with me when I called. How he took care of my / his light. I don't even think about it (... much ... lol ... OK, just kidding Henry) when I was lucky to get in on of the Rotary's flush tail cap, and battery compartment a month ago. While talking to him, I asked about the accessory, he confirmed it was in-stock, then ordered it as soon as I got off the phone with him.

Now .... what was the question again?

Pops

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

i.php
Beautiful photo as always! Never got sick of looking at beautiful photos of HDS lights even though I have owned a few for years. As a photographer myself, I am ashamed for not taking the effort to do up some wonderful shots of them.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Silly question but I'll ask, anyone mount their clicky/rotary to a bike? If so what did you use? I'm fiddling around with some old belt keeper from my duty belt but it's not quite working, any suggestions (other then duct tape or tie wire..:thinking:)?

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tried to stay out of this, I really have, but I have very strong opinions about some of your comments.

There are likely some who would agree with you but you won't find many of them in this thread. This should be no surprise, as this thread, just like the 15 that preceded it, are for discussion of HDS lights. Not the business model, not the poor judgement of those who would pay so much for a light, nor the motivation(s) of the person who builds the lights. These sorts of discussions are notorious for steering a thread far off topic.

Your points may be worth discussion and I suggest, without any sort of authority, that you begin your own thread so that you may present the topic in your own terms rather than entering a thread with 6400+ posts and trying to change it to your topic. If you do so, I will be happy to engage in discussion there. I'm sure others will as well.

i.php

WOW, that's a cool mat! .... What is it?

Pops

Gosh I ... :crackup:.. myself up!

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read through all the Malkoff threads, the Elzetta thread, the Surefire C and Z lovers threads, and they are full of happy users posting great information. This one has so many worthless posts that I've stopped my thread subscription.

If this warranty and quality nonsense continues, I'll stop reading it entirely.

880Arm, you state that your photo skills are lacking, but this last one sure looks great to me.

BuDn3kkID

Newly Enlightened
I read through all the Malkoff threads, the Elzetta thread, the Surefire C and Z lovers threads, and they are full of happy users posting great information. This one has so many worthless posts that I've stopped my thread subscription.

If this warranty and quality nonsense continues, I'll stop reading it entirely.

880Arm, you state that your photo skills are lacking, but this last one sure looks great to me.

I concur, I find it amazing that this thread has drawn quite this many OT posters seemingly hell-bent on shitting on this thread for their own sick benefit and to the detriment of other HDS fans here.

Wanna criticise HDS for being a one-man show? Lament the design and production choices made by Henry because he didn't choose what you like? Fine, post your own thread and have others contribute to it in order to have your ego inflated. Don't post it here, if you have a dead-horse to beat, go elsewhere.

Being on-topic, while I don't have any HDS lights with me yet, 2 are incoming and I can't wait to get my hands in them :) One of them is actually an older Twisty-120, tested ok by a friend living in Tucson, and about on its way to me now. Excited.

Edmund

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Candlepowerforums mobile app

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have a comparison beam shots, say at 20 / 25 yards (pointed at a wall may be) with a Rotary 200 and a 250?

Pops

BTW, talk about incoming. I remember the first Rotary 200 I purchased way back when. That time the only vendor that had one in-stock was in Europe. So one of the Rotary's that I have, took a flight from Tucson all the way to Europe (had a few mugs of brew with the boys). I paid the VAT tax (vendor wouldn't take it off) so it could take a flight back to the U.S., more then likely flew over Tucson to Phoenix. It's since been modded with a nichia 219 neutral, love the tint, sacrificing only to a slightly less distance.

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Silly question but I'll ask, anyone mount their clicky/rotary to a bike? If so what did you use? I'm fiddling around with some old belt keeper from my duty belt but it's not quite working, any suggestions (other then duct tape or tie wire..:thinking:)?
Just type bike flashlight mount on ebay and you get all the different mounting options. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.