HDS Systems EDC # 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunga

Hey guys,

Just wanted to give a shout out to Hogo. Got my Rotary from him this week and also leather goods... I love the black wallet, holster and Rotary together. Great set!

R1066795_zps7fdce933.jpg

R1066800_zpsed3b602d.jpg

I was looking for more leather ideas tonight and noticed on Thor's (Hogo's) webstore that there are some 219A Clickies on a great price!

Not sure if I am allowed to link here, but I can beg for forgiveness later. Link

eala

Dang it. Out of stock. How was shipping to Canada? You can pm me.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Hogokansatsukan

Nice leather eala! Guess those 219a's went quick? Out of stock
Another ?: is it possible to get grit(sand) out of a rotary? I can't stand that feeling/sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

They should be in stock. I'm just a lousy webmaster.

bondr006

Either way I prefer a clicky's functionality and control via button presses rather than dial.

That's what I thought until I broke down and got a Rotary. I love my HDS clicky and thought that I would never have any use for the HDS Rotary. Well, after getting the Rotary my whole outlook changed and now I would not know what to do without my Rotary. I do not leave home without it. In fact, I have it in my pocket most of the time even when I'm at home. There really is no reason not to get the Rotary. It has the exact same functionality as the clicky. Four user programmable brightness settings. In fact you can use it just as you would the clicky without ever giving a thought to the Rotary tailcap if you wanted to. But the convenience of having the Rotary adjustment available is just priceless. You have the convenience of presetting what brightness your light comes on without having to enable customization. Or you can adjust the brightness immediately when you have it on. I guarantee if you gave it a try, you would never go back to just the clicky. Don't get me wrong, the clicky is also a great light....one of which I own, but the addition of the rotary tailcap is just the proverbial icing on the cake. I know that everyone has their own preferences, but like me....Sometimes you just don't know what you want till you got it in your hand. I just didn't know the indispensable utility of the rotary until I tried it. You can always get one, and if you really don't like it(hard to imagine)....you could easily recoup what you paid for it by selling it in the CPF Market Place.
Just

Last edited:

F89

That's what I thought until I broke down and got a Rotary. I love my HDS clicky and thought that I would never have any use for the HDS Rotary. Well, after getting the Rotary my whole outlook changed and now I would not know what to do without my Rotary. I do not leave home without it. In fact, I have it in my pocket most of the time even when I'm at home. There really is no reason not to get the Rotary. It has the exact same functionality as the clicky. Four user programmable brightness settings. In fact you can use it just as you would the clicky without ever giving a thought to the Rotary tailcap if you wanted to. But the convenience of having the Rotary adjustment available is just priceless. You have the convenience of presetting what brightness your light comes on without having to enable customization. Or you can adjust the brightness immediately when you have it on. I guarantee if you gave it a try, you would never go back to just the clicky. Don't get me wrong, the clicky is also a great light....one of which I own, but the addition of the rotary tailcap is just the proverbial icing on the cake. I know that everyone has their own preferences, but like me....Sometimes you just don't know what you want till you got it in your hand. I just didn't know the indispensable utility of the rotary until I tried it. You can always get one, and if you really don't like it(hard to imagine)....you could easily recoup what you paid for it by selling it in the CPF Market Place.
Just

I'm hearing you but I still don't want a rotary. I can understand why people like the rotary but like those who only want a rotary, I only want a clicky which honestly fits my usage patterns way better than a rotary could.
I've got a couple of variable output lights which may not be quite like a rotary but comparable in ways (jetbeam rrt01 and niteye eye10) which I don't mind but aren't my preference.
My Hyper Red will definitely be a clicky, wouldn't even consider a rotary for it's intended use, which suits me.
I may get a 250 in the future just to play with and EDC but it'd be a clicky too I'd say.

DucS2R

It was a hard decision, but I went with a clicky.

Ok, being really wishy washy here, but I just changed it (the hyper red light) to a rotary. And to answer another poster, this will mainly be astronomy for me too, but also navigating in the middle of the night when I wish to maintain my night vision, including hiking in the mountains at night when there is no moon. One of my favorite activities when I am back packing in the High Sierra or the Rockies is going for solo hikes/climbs in the middle of the night when the moon is up. It is a thrill unlike any other I have ever experienced. You see so many things you would never see in the daytime, especially nocturnal animals.

And yes, many years ago, used the red lights in certain types of military operations. Red lights at night are very cool, opens up a whole different world.

T

F89

Ok, being really wishy washy here, but I just changed it (the hyper red light) to a rotary. And to answer another poster, this will mainly be astronomy for me too, but also navigating in the middle of the night when I wish to maintain my night vision, including hiking in the mountains at night when there is no moon. One of my favorite activities when I am back packing in the High Sierra or the Rockies is going for solo hikes/climbs in the middle of the night when the moon is up. It is a thrill unlike any other I have ever experienced. You see so many things you would never see in the daytime, especially nocturnal animals.

And yes, many years ago, used the red lights in certain types of military operations. Red lights at night are very cool, opens up a whole different world.

T

Thanks for the feedback.
Being a fairly specific light I thought most people would have an interesting story.

bondr006

I'm hearing you but I still don't want a rotary.

Have you ever tried an HDC Rotary? I can see why you wouldn't want a Rotary when all you have to compare it to are the two lights you mentioned. But those lights are nothing like a Rotary. Their only UI is the variable output, but the HDS Rotary not only has the variable output....but the full UI functionality of the HDS Clicky. It's what I would call a dual UI. By all means, get the light you want, but I would not discount the HDS Rotary. Like I said, it's an HDS Clicky with the addition of a second UI.

kaichu dento

It has the exact same functionality as the clicky. Four user programmable brightness settings. In fact you can use it just as you would the clicky without ever giving a thought to the Rotary tailcap if you wanted to.
I can understand why people like the rotary but like those who only want a rotary, I only want a clicky which honestly fits my usage patterns way better than a rotary could.
It sounds like you don't understand the Rotary if you think that it couldn't possibly serve your usage patterns the way a Clicky can, since it can be used exactly the same way as a Clicky.

Not having any desire for one is a completely different thing, and I can understand the sentiment as I had one sent to me a couple years ago and have yet to bother buying one. I'll be getting one eventually, but it's almost more for the new lower low that I'm interested in buying a newer light.

bansuri

I'm hearing you but I still don't want a rotary. I can understand why people like the rotary but like those who only want a rotary, I only want a clicky which honestly fits my usage patterns way better than a rotary could.

When we find something that is perfect it's difficult to imagine why someone else would choose something we view as less perfect. As you say, it's all about usage patterns.
I've had 3 or 4 Rotaries but have gone back to the Clicky. Both lights are perfect, IMHO. I've had half a dozen output ring type lights by other brands and, to me, the Rotary is the best expression of the dial-a-level interface, but it's overkill for my needs.
If I used the light for several hours a day it's easy to see how getting the perfect level would be beneficial. Not my usage though. Either need a ton of light during the day to see inside something dark or 1 of my 3 lower levels at night to temporarily overcome the dark. When I need a light for longer than a couple minutes I'll usually break out the Zebralight Headlamps, for now...
I HEAR HENRY IS WORKING ON A HEADLAMP SO I'M YELLING TO EXPRESS MY EXCITEMENT!

This gets us back to usage, fortunately we have so many choices it's hard to imagine a user unable to find a light that suits their needs. Clicky for me, and headlamps for extended use, but as my history shows, that can change.

Crazy thing about the red light is that it's completely different approach to illumination. The problem with a bright flashlight is that once you start using it you need to keep using it as you're blind without it.
With the Red you can crank it up all you want, turn it off, and still see with dark adapted eyes!
Zero CRI, imagine a grey scale picture done with red. If you're just looking for "things in the way" and color is unimportant, it's very useful. If you were going to be in a natural environment with no chance of artificial light ruining your NV, this light would give you an advantage.
You could say that this could also be overcome with a low-level flashlight, which would be true. The difference is that there's no issue if you accidentally turn on Red on high. I'ts a blast turning it on high, then off, and continuing as if nothing happened, NV intact.

Last edited:

F89

Have you ever tried an HDC Rotary? I can see why you wouldn't want a Rotary when all you have to compare it to are the two lights you mentioned. But those lights are nothing like a Rotary. Their only UI is the variable output, but the HDS Rotary not only has the variable output....but the full UI functionality of the HDS Clicky. It's what I would call a dual UI. By all means, get the light you want, but I would not discount the HDS Rotary. Like I said, it's an HDS Clicky with the addition of a second UI.

I'm sure the rotary offers way better control etc over the lights I listed and that the dial being the only similarity but like I said I don't need or want a rotary dial on my HDS. While it equates to you as greater functionality and enjoyment for me it's something that lessens the functionality for me and also is something I don't need or want and if I was to go a rotary it would be for EDC only and even then I choose the clicky.
I'm not trying to say that one is better than the other as the user decides that and this user doesn't want a rotary.
I've suggested some of the reasons why a clicky is more suitable for my usage and specifically the Hyper Red which is being bought for work and it is what it is.
HDS are such great lights, customisable and two different interfaces which is awesome. I wouldn't be surprised if the rotary is more popular but I still don't want one.
I appreciate all the comments and information though.
Cheers.

F89

When we find something that is perfect it's difficult to imagine why someone else would choose something we view as less perfect. As you say, it's all about usage patterns.
I've had 3 or 4 Rotaries but have gone back to the Clicky. Both lights are perfect, IMHO. I've had half a dozen output ring type lights by other brands and, to me, the Rotary is the best expression of the dial-a-level interface, but it's overkill for my needs.
If I used the light for several hours a day it's easy to see how getting the perfect level would be beneficial. Not my usage though. Either need a ton of light during the day to see inside something dark or 1 of my 3 lower levels at night to temporarily overcome the dark. When I need a light for longer than a couple minutes I'll usually break out the Zebralight Headlamps, for now...
I HEAR HENRY IS WORKING ON A HEADLAMP SO I'M YELLING TO EXPRESS MY EXCITEMENT!

This gets us back to usage, fortunately we have so many choices it's hard to imagine a user unable to find a light that suits their needs. Clicky for me, and headlamps for extended use, but as my history shows, that can change.

Crazy thing about the red light is that it's completely different approach to illumination. The problem with a bright flashlight is that once you start using it you need to keep using it as you're blind without it.
With the Red you can crank it up all you want, turn it off, and still see with dark adapted eyes!
Zero CRI, imagine a grey scale picture done with red. If you're just looking for "things in the way" and color is unimportant, it's very useful. If you were going to be in a natural environment with no chance of artificial light ruining your NV, this light would give you an advantage.
You could say that this could also be overcome with a low-level flashlight, which would be true. The difference is that there's no issue if you accidentally turn on Red on high. I'ts a blast turning it on high, then off, and continuing as if nothing happened, NV intact.

Well said Bansuri, I feel you've expressed and elaborated well here.
I'm not about clicky vs rotary guys, I'm about what works for me and what works for you.
Cheers.

Ti²C

But I think you still can observe that the tail cap part is a little bit dirty. It seems that the battery compartment part is quite good as the head part.

My Rotary is perfect in the head part, but a little dull and dirty in the other two parts.

that's correct, few shades whiter and less grippy than the head.. (the 170n is the upper one)
can i live with that ? sure ! as long as the ano protects the aluminium, i'm fine with it.

i've seen surefires with way more contrasted colors between parts and it's never been an issue though...

my hds family with different carrying options :

The lack of clip kept me away from the rotary for a while, but from the moment i've discovered the constrictor knot (kudos to the CPF community :thumbsup:) it has now become my favorite.

rickyro

that's correct, few shades whiter and less grippy than the head.. (the 170n is the upper one)
can i live with that ? sure ! as long as the ano protects the aluminium, i'm fine with it.

i've seen surefires with way more contrasted colors between parts and it's never been an issue though...

The lack of clip kept me away from the rotary for a while, but from the moment i've discovered the constrictor knot (kudos to the CPF community :thumbsup:) it has now become my favorite.

very nice lanyards made!

I just want to point out the issues really existing there. I just feel weird that some people here are hating some other people pointing out this kind of issues. Actually, this will result a better HDS product in the future benefiting themselves. Yes, this kind of better quality regarding focus, finish, anodizing will result higher price, but 200USD is not cheap already. If with 270USD, all these can be resolved, why not.

How did you make that third lanyard? That is perfect! I want to do one exactly like that.

Ti²C

the black lanyard is took appart from a sunwayman, constrictor knot.
the OD is a generic one from a chinese free-shipping dealer, constrictor knot and 3 or 4 snake knots.

eff

Nope you are correct. Many have speculated over the Rotary's ability to stand up to abuse, to keep out water, to function in dirty or dusty environments... but I have not read of any real issues with it's durability. Someone had a problem a few pages back but the thought was it might have been a damaged battery, I don't think it was ever confirmed the Rotary had suffered damage.

Yes the poster reported that the tailcap switch was rotating freely, after the light landed hard on the tailcap. Some have asked him to check the cell pcb. However he did not give any update. Here's the link to the discussion for those who might be interested : http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...stems-EDC-16&p=4469080&viewfull=1#post4469080

Another incident reported by Hogo this time, regarding a light falling out of a motorbike at high speed : http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...stems-EDC-16&p=4433660&viewfull=1#post4433660

If you're using a rotary, just attach a lanyard on it using a constrictor knot, like some did on this thread, and secure it to your belt or pants, so that it doesn't fall. The lanyard will also prevent your light from rolling on flat surfaces.
If you haven't bought any light yet, and you're worried about that, then go for the clicky as it's tougher imho (less mobile parts). You can also wait for the new tailcap design mentioned in Hogo's post :)

kaichu dento

For some reason I just love this picture!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts