HDS HDS Systems EDC # 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

midget

Enlightened
Interesting idea. Too bad you had to cut the clip.

Yea, bummer. In hindsight, I should have just cut the clip a bit shorter and bent it in. Then I'd have had a lens-down lanyard and still retained some clip functionality.

A

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I wanna know is, when are the Eighteen-Three-Fifty Rotary body is gonna be ready!

M

midget

Enlightened
All I wanna know is, when are the Eighteen-Three-Fifty Rotary body is gonna be ready!

What would be your described benefit of using an 18350 in the HDS? Is it because of the 800mah capacity compared to the 750 mah capacity of a 16340? Or because of safer chemistry? Just wondering. I'd asked this same question before, about whether I should run a AW protected 16340 or run my unprotected 16340, but it seemed like there wasn't really a benefit.

F

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
What would be your described benefit of using an 18350 in the HDS? Is it because of the 800mah capacity compared to the 750 mah capacity of a 16340? Or because of safer chemistry? Just wondering. I'd asked this same question before, about whether I should run a AW protected 16340 or run my unprotected 16340, but it seemed like there wasn't really a benefit.

For me it's because the 16340 more like 500-550mah in real life & the 18350 came be as high as 900mah. That's a big diff in capacity IMO. The chemistry should be the same for a given relative mah capacity.

Protected vs unprotected in a light like this is more like an insurance policy. Some have extra insurance & some do not. Depends on your personal preference/comfort/risk tolerance level.

G

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Supporter
I think Travis' capacity statement regarding 16340s and 18350s is correct.

yoyoman

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Supporter
Yes. I checked HKH's site and looked at AW 16340 listed as 750 mAh, but test results showed around 550 mAh. The AW 18350 listed at 700 mAh tests much closer to the listed capacity.

msim

msim

Enlightened
Posted this in the Fenix PD22UE thread but figured it could live here too. Also, apologies if this info has been posted previously.

The AOD-S diffuser that comes with the PD22UE fits perfectly on my HDS. The funny thing is that it doesn't really fit the PD22 at all... you have to shove the flashlight halfway through the diffuser before it stays on, but that's just fine with me, I'd rather have a good diffuser for my HDS anyway :)

The diffuser is also available on its own for 5 bucks or so.

6LaKffO.png

R

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone please comment on beam profile of an HDS vs a Malkoff MDC?

I'm looking for a good programable sub-/low- lumen light but need it to be on the floody side (the MDC being on the throwy side). The HDS seems to have about in the same emitter/reflector size ratio as the MDC so I'm concerned that it too will be too throwy for my purposes. I assume there is little to no beam profile difference among the current emitter selection either, since they're all XPG size.

Thanks

PoliceScannerMan

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

I'm looking for a good programable sub-/low- lumen light but need it to be on the floody side (the MDC being on the throwy side). The HDS seems to have about in the same emitter/reflector size ratio as the MDC so I'm concerned that it too will be too throwy for my purposes. I assume there is little to no beam profile difference among the current emitter selection either, since they're all XPG size.

Thanks

The 170N emitter (Nichia 219B) has nice balance of throw and flood IMO.

G

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Supporter
The Malkoff reflector with Nichia 219B and the HDS Nichia 219B have practically identical beam profiles. My recently sold HDS 200 lumen XP-G2 delivered a tighter, more intense hotspot than the Nichia, and was also very similar to a Malkoff with XP-P2.

Coolz

Coolz

Newly Enlightened
Been a bit busy, but have been meaning to post my incredible new holster for my Rotary N170 (also new). Highest of all recommendations to Dan - you killed it, brother!
HDS%2520Holster.jpg

F

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks

Have you considered diffusion film for either one on the lens?

R

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the comments folks, much appreciated.

So it sounds like the N219B emitter will feel floodier/less lux intense than the XPG2, if not quite the flood of an XML2 in this sized head. Diffusion filters could be a good option to consider, although I prefer not to take the efficiency hit if I don't have to. Perhaps an XPL will come out.

Decisions, decisions.

F

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question:

Just ordered a new 120 EDC Clicky from a dealer who had them in stock.

Was wondering how long term owners were making out with them being they've been out quite awhile.

Last edited:
C

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no problems with my 120 clicky. Still function like the first day I got it. 120 lumens is still 120 lumens no matter how old the light.

P_A_S_1

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
How long did you have it?

P_A_S_1

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious, I had a 170T that went after two years.

R

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question:

Just ordered a new 120 EDC Clicky from a dealer who had them in stock.

Was wondering how long term owners where making out with them being they've been out quite awhile.
Not sure if this counts as "long term" but I've been carrying a 120 every day since spring of '12 and it has never let me down.

Status
Not open for further replies.