HDS Systems EDC # 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never seen a 18650 tube for a Twisty. I bought a 17670 body for my Twisty years ago from Henry.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums
AFAIK, only 18650 tubes were ever made for the twisties. 17670 tube was for the clickies. You sure about that?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 18650 tubes are not, and have not been in stock... Yet.
Things are looking promising. Henry has been updating his website, and he would not have listed them if... They were not coming. Still at least a few months away. I'll keep you posted.
3am here and just got back from Vegas...again.
Forget the rum. I'm going to bed!

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get no more than 30-40 minutes on high from AW 16340's on my clicky or rotary.

What's a better battery?
As far as I know, that's typical for a rechargeable 123 cell. You'll get another 15- to 20-minutes out of a primary.

archimedes

Flashaholic
AFAIK, only 18650 tubes were ever made for the twisties. 17670 tube was for the clickies. You sure about that?

HDS/Ra can be so confusing, but I think that the Clicky had a 17670 tube (only) and the Twisty had a 17670 tube and a "19670" tube (which fit protected 18650 cells).

That's leaving aside the 2xAA tubes, of course.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm so looking forward to a rotary 18650 tube when they become available.

I'm currently the only owner of a "Prototype 17670 ACME clicky tube".
It has worked flawlessly since received.

The fact that this tube even exists just shows that they are definitely in the works.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get no more than 30-40 minutes on high from AW 16340's on my clicky or rotary.

What's a better battery?

If that's max with burst disabled that is pretty good. I get around 27-31 minutes out of my AWs on max. With the burst enabled it's about 66-69 minutes on a fully charged AW 16340.

Coolz

Newly Enlightened
Two weeks into owning my first HDS, an EDC Executive 200 Clicky, I buy a Rotary N170 (from a buddy) and a custom holster from Dan. Hi, Coolz, welcome to your new obsession. :p

Last edited:

hatman

Enlightened
If that's max with burst disabled that is pretty good. I get around 27-31 minutes out of my AWs on max. With the burst enabled it's about 66-69 minutes on a fully charged AW 16340.

Bummer.

Does anyone know of a brand that lasts longer?

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just just wanted to mention that the Twisty 85-TR is probably the most useful light I've ever owned. I've installed a McGizmo clip on it. I've deep-pocket carried this light for years and it still looks great. The thing that I like the most is that it doesn't accidentally turn on in my pocket. The red LED is ideal for getting going in the AM without waking the family. I just hope that Henry will produce another Twisty some day, ideally in titanium.

imagejpg1-1.jpg

imagejpg2-1.jpg
That's great! I should really do that to one of mine.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bummer.

I wouldn't expect too much more from any cell unless you bore it out for 18350 cells. The limitations of battery chemistry put all the best cells realistically around the same capacity give or take a few minutes. You just have to expect a small cell like that can't put out an Amp of power for more than about 30 minutes.

Coolz

Newly Enlightened
Do folks actually bore out their HDC's?

I wouldn't expect too much more from any cell unless you bore it out for 18350 cells. The limitations of battery chemistry put all the best cells realistically around the same capacity give or take a few minutes. You just have to expect a small cell like that can't put out an Amp of power for more than about 30 minutes.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curiouse to know if anyone notices any diferences between the production drought and the new lights.

Are the newer models noticably different in anyway? Either way, it's awesome to have these flowing out like a waterfall now. Hoping to grab one soon.

:thumbsup:

midget

Enlightened
So I bit the bullet and spring for the Universal Clip from Oveready.

I can see the build quality is there. And I can kind of see why the hefty $54 price tag. The "mount" itself looks to be anodized aluminum, cut from a single piece of stock. The mount itself was very tight as it fit around the body. Very, very tight. I was puckering the whole time in fear of dragging scratch down the body of the light, but everything came out unscathed. The tightness itself to the HDS body must have required a high tolerance in machining, which might explain the $54 tag. I'm very pleased to see how snugly and secure this clip affixes to the body.

The look and feel of the clip appears (to me) a hack job -- it's very apparent that the clip was designed to the light after the fact. But the build quality is there and speaks to the industrial-ness of the light as a tool. Durability of this clip is promising.

The clip doesn't seem to mount well lens-down, that is, with the clip around the rotary knob. When mounted around the knob, the clip tip is bent outwards with tension against the flashlight body. When mounted around the light bezel, the clip rests cleanly into the "cigar grip" portion of the light and parallel to the light body.

Here's some pictures.

Robe

Enlightened
Just got my first Rotary today. I must say that I'm very pleased. I was expecting something much more hefty given the talk about the robustness. It's much lighter than I thought, though common sense: it's largely aluminum, I shouldn't have expected a dumbbell. Not that it's not robust, but it's not heavy. It's lighter than (at least from memory), the Haiku I used to have.

I've only handled a few quality lights in this size category, and none of them all that similar. I definitely prefer the amazing UI to this than to the Haiku (also amazing, but would have preferred it to be sans memory and instead low-med-high). The size and feel is pretty similar to the Haiku, and (from memory, so is the beam).

It is quite a bit different from the Moddoolar that I "downsized" from that to this. (Had some unexpected expenses). Definitely lighter, and the beams are very dissimilar.

Between all three, I couldn't say which is "better" because (as you all know) they aren't all being designed to meet the exact same goals. That said, I'm super happy, though being not use to no clip, I'm going to be saving to add a holster.

One definite benefit to this over the other lights I've had: it's got a very industrial, not pretty, look to it. In less concerned about the kids running around wildly with it!

All in all, super stoked. Also the first firefly mode light I've had. I've already seen the need for it, but haven't been able to enjoy the benefits.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bummer.

I'm not sure if you are meaning another brand of light, or brand of battery.

Since 18650 tubes are in development, maybe we'll also see 18350 tubes which would give better runtime. In the meantime I recommend just using a primary Lithium cell, the specs are acceptable with those.

Status
Not open for further replies.