HDS Systems EDC # 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

trojansteel

Newly Enlightened
You might end up getting it at the same time as me... I ordered almost exactly the same light (silver clip and rotary) a month ago... Lets hope that they don't run out of other parts while waiting for the high CRI LEDs.

Damn are we waiting for those? What's our ETA?

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
Damn are we waiting for those? What's our ETA?

At least a week after the parts come in...
actual ETA to be determined. :thinking: :thinking:
From what I heard there is a bit of a backorder.
I would make a crude estimate of nol less than three weeks and no more than a pluto week :poof:

Trip Miller

Enlightened
I had to google it but a week on Pluto is 45 days....so that could be short too....However another interesting factoid is that it appears a day on Venus is 243 Earth days and their year is shorter than their day.... by like 20 Earth days or something... so I think you can safely say it will be shorter than a Venus week.

Stoneking

Enlightened
I sent Henry a message regarding my order. He stated the assemblers were behind but they are finishing up and my light should ship early this week.
Fingers crossed, I'm heading out of town for work and this light would make my job 100x easier. I currently have a 123 Rotary and it has been flawlessly reliable and I wouldn't think of using another brand. I ordered a 2xAA Rotary because I need more real estate in the body, the added runtime and availability of the batteries is a huge plus!

Last edited:

Eidolon

Newly Enlightened
I'm considering an HDS light but having trouble deciding on some of the features.

Does any kind and well-flashlighted user have pictures of both the standard CR123 body versus the 2xAA body?
How is the throw on the 250 versus the 325? Does anyone have any beamshot comparisons? I understand that the 325 is a more floody profile which I like in general but how does its reach compare to the 250?

About the Clicky UI - I assume I'm reading correctly that it has momentary on, as well as clicking on permanently. Do the modes cycle from partial repeated momentary presses or does it require full clicks? Any other features or custom selections that are worth considering? Still new around here and trying to get a handle on things! Thanks gents.

trojansteel

Newly Enlightened
I'm considering an HDS light but having trouble deciding on some of the features.

Does any kind and well-flashlighted user have pictures of both the standard CR123 body versus the 2xAA body?
How is the throw on the 250 versus the 325? Does anyone have any beamshot comparisons? I understand that the 325 is a more floody profile which I like in general but how does its reach compare to the 250?

About the Clicky UI - I assume I'm reading correctly that it has momentary on, as well as clicking on permanently. Do the modes cycle from partial repeated momentary presses or does it require full clicks? Any other features or custom selections that are worth considering? Still new around here and trying to get a handle on things! Thanks gents.

I've been asking a bunch of UI questions on here, read the last couple pages. However, I think the best thing to do is just google the User Manual, because it's pretty complex.

As for body shots, Google "HDS AA review" and you'll find a link to a review with some great pictures.

Last edited:

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do the modes cycle from partial repeated momentary presses or does it require full clicks?

Ditto what Eidolon said - the user manual is online and very comprehensive. Its well worth a read. However, be prepared to be a bit confused until you actually get the light in your hands and use it, because its really more intuitive than it may seem at first.

I will address this question directly though. By momentary presses I think you're referring to what we generally call "half clicks", which is where you just gently tap the button without fully engaging it. That's a feature found on mechanical switches where the cycling of power on and off is interpreted by the driver and functions are engaged based on how long the power is off (or sometimes on). HDS lights have an e-switch, or electronic switch. These don't have "half-press", they just click. The driver then responds based on lots of factors, including whether you multi-clicked or you held the switch down for an extended period of time.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've noticed that older HDS lights MCPCBs are not epoxied in place. Is it still possible to swap emitters on newer HDS lights?

Picture of my light:

585a95bc01127d3c48819441ab6836bb.jpg

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not epoxy, just a rubber material of some sort. Scrapes right off.

Biggest problem I encounter with swapping the LED is getting those three solder points loose. I find cleaning off all the solder with a sucker or wick never gets it all and it becomes a prying game with alternating heat on each solder point to come off.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's like a mouse; hundreds of thousands, maybe a million. They last forever.

I wore out the switch on my ra140n a few years ago. Co tacted Henry and had a replacement in the mail a few weeks later. Id had the light for, eh, maybe 4 years at that point? Used it quite a bit.

No complaints from me, the new switch is still going strong.
Henry asked me to mail him the old one back, which I did. I assume he took it apart to find the point of failure.

nbp

Flashaholic
I wore out the switch on my ra140n a few years ago. Co tacted Henry and had a replacement in the mail a few weeks later. Id had the light for, eh, maybe 4 years at that point? Used it quite a bit.

No complaints from me, the new switch is still going strong.
Henry asked me to mail him the old one back, which I did. I assume he took it apart to find the point of failure.

You've got some strong fingers my friend! :poke: Hahaha

nbp

Flashaholic
So when are we going to HDS Systems #19?

This thread is getting pretty big... 6259 posts so far.

I dunno. :shrug: JS closed the last one at 1000, which came and went months ago; I'm not sure what the rule is on that... I feel like I should know. Lol. I'll check on that..

Status
Not open for further replies.