HDS Systems EDC # 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trip Miller

Enlightened
I need to know if I want to take a Rotary from an extended clicky to flush is it just a matter of disassembling the rotary tailcap and changing out the buttons or is the e switch different too?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Hah! Got me ... I've spent more on tubes, speakers and stuff than an HDS but Id probably want to figure out a way to put a FET driver or have the rotary go to direct drive on max or some other thing that would sort of miss the point :)
Always dug these lights aesthetically - especially the desert cerakote in the last thread.

I also have an H600w MKII in my pedals/cords bag and usually a quad XPL dropin by Vinh in my van just in case I need to make my own light show & bum my bandmates out ;)
Your first post I replied to is exactly how I felt when I saw prices on the Ra Clicky and I swore there was no reason I could ever find to buy one. Got my first used one in a trade and once you've experienced all the things they have to offer you feel differently in pretty quick order.

All that aside, if I had to say why I carry one to the exclusion of other lights, it's the auto-shutoff that has made it the only light I have that I have never pulled out of my pocket with a dead battery.

A year from now you'll be telling your story to others!

Double Barrel

Enlightened
I'll maybe never order an HDS (too much $ for a musician haha) but I am curious about headlamp news and followed the last thread for kicks.
If I did have one I'd bore it for 18350 .. Probably put a Warmish XPL HI in it.
Rotary....maybe tactical or not.
Anyways, cheers to the new thread!

Once you get one, you may quit buying other lights and come out ahead in the long run. :)
Then again, you may end up spending WAY more moola feeling the need for more HDS lights.
You should give one a try, regardless. I like them so much, I'd pay for one in advance and wait a year to get it.
DB

AndrwTNT

Newly Enlightened
As an owner of both I stand by my original statement. If you can't wait for your HDS buy a used one. McGizmo is a different light altogether.
I was being funny.. referring to the quick assembly and shipment from Don… Not comparing the 2 lights physically…? :thinking:

Update on my light; recently sent it into Vinh to get a 219b installed. Excited to see how it turns out

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once you get one, you may quit buying other lights and come out ahead in the long run. :)
Then again, you may end up spending WAY more moola feeling the need for more HDS lights.
You should give one a try, regardless. I like them so much, I'd pay for one in advance and wait a year to get it.
DB

I've always liked their looks - just have smaller & way brighter lights with custom tints already:)

I'd by buying one just for the vibe and I also dig the rotary interface. Is there a way to remove Strobe from the tactical UI?
I don't need/like/want a million modes or strobe since I rarely ride road bikes and don't have fantasies of "disorienting bad guys" haha.
Strobe is kinda fun for annoying friends - especially with 3000+ lumen pocket rockets.

The kerakote in grey or tan would be sick tho. as would a direct drive blast mode option ...
Oh and 18350 bore would be a must for me - I'm sure it's doable with a drill tape and sand paper.
And some patience.
Cheerz.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always liked their looks - just have smaller & way brighter lights with custom tints already:)

I'd by buying one just for the vibe and I also dig the rotary interface

You sound a lot like me. I've got a shelf full of Zebralights, for instance. Really, I've got 12 of them. I've also got plenty of custom hotrod lights and build triples regularly - some to sell, some to keep. I like high-output lights. But I was intrigued by the Rotary (not the Clicky so much - sorry Clicky lovers!). So I finally plunked down the cash and started waiting. Mine came in a couple of months ago now. It doesn't seem like a 200lm light that cost $2 a lumen should even be in consideration when you can get a great Zebralight for about 9 cents a lumen, so I was fully prepared to be disappointed.

The result? My HDS Rotary hasn't left my pocket since I got it. A few weeks ago I bought the new SC63w, cause I still love Zebralights and couldn't not buy it. How many days did I actually carry it? Zero. Its been on my shelf since I got it, maybe coming out to play a bit while I'm home. But when I leave the house in the morning its still my HDS Rotary in my pocket. Its just that good.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd by buying one just for the vibe and I also dig the rotary interface. Is there a way to remove Strobe from the tactical UI?
I don't need/like/want a million modes or strobe since I rarely ride road bikes and don't have fantasies of "disorienting bad guys" haha.
Strobe is kinda fun for annoying friends - especially with 3000+ lumen pocket rockets.

The kerakote in grey or tan would be sick tho. as would a direct drive blast mode option ...
Oh and 18350 bore would be a must for me - I'm sure it's doable with a drill tape and sand paper.
And some patience.
Cheerz.

You would be best served to buy the Rotary Executive. Strobe is still available by default with a triple click or you could assign it to a double click. But then the full rotary range is available for variable light output.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I was being funny.. referring to the quick assembly and shipment from Don… Not comparing the 2 lights physically…? :thinking:

Update on my light; recently sent it into Vinh to get a 219b installed. Excited to see how it turns out
No one faster than Don when it comes to getting a light into your hands! Sorry for missing that in the original post.

I really like my Rotary with the 219 and sure you will too!

blueo8

Newly Enlightened
Is it just rotaries that are coming out slowly, or are the clickies taking a long time to ship too?

calypso699

Newly Enlightened
Something I've wondered for awhile and haven't been able to find the answer myself using search. When you place a build request for a HDS, is that light considered a custom in every sense of the word or is it a production light built to your specs?

JohnSmith

Enlightened
With the start of the new thread, I need to make a post to regain that little green indicator on the LED main forum page… That's how I usually find my threads of interest.

So, this post will discuss my NUCLEAR WAR light.

I specifically chose this configuration to be of greatest use in pretty much the worst situation I could possibly imagine: the immediate and long-term aftermath of nuclear war. The EMP resistance of HDS lights has been discussed in the past ad nauseum, so I won't get into that. So assuming the light survives the initial blast (I'm assuming I will as well), some desirable characteristics for a light might be:

• A common battery type that can be scavenged from everyday items
  • Extended run times at low levels
  • Flood beam for nearby and especially arms-reach distances
  • Sub-lumen capability
  • Highest reliability
So here's what I chose… HDS Clicky, 2xAA battery compartment, 200 lumen high CRI Nichia 219B, diffuse flood reflector.

In my pre-war use, I only run NiMH batteries in this light. I will tolerate the potential for alkaline battery leakage in a $300+ light when the end of the world is at hand, but not before. If things go pear shaped, my eneloops will eventually run dry and I can then salvage the radioactive alkalines strewn about the war-torn wreckage of post-apocalyptic America.

In the burned-out horror of a once great nation laid to waste, the HDS will allow me to access many ultra-low levels with a light having a proven, extremely reliable track record. I considered a Rotary user interface for this light, but because of the theoretically less-robust mechanical design of the Rotary, the fact that I must compulsively dial Rotaries up and down to find just the right setting, and the potential for a radiation-induced loss of manual dexterity… I chose the Clicky interface. Now here's a picture:

2016-04-17%2023.41.38_zps7jdspwam.jpg

There's a bit of cheekiness in this post, but yes, I really did pick out this configuration based on what might be most useful in the aftermath of a nuclear war. I have a number of HDS lights and I needed some justification to purchase yet another.

Last edited:

JohnSmith

Enlightened
Something I've wondered for awhile and haven't been able to find the answer myself using search. When you place a build request for a HDS, is that light considered a custom in every sense of the word or is it a production light built to your specs?

It's a production light built to your specs. As soon as you deviate from the very few standard configurations that are offered, it's going to fall into that "custom" category. Although the build combinations aren't endless, there are enough that a deviation from those standard configurations means that your order has to be specifically assembled just for you.

Last edited:

calypso699

Newly Enlightened
It's a production light built to your specs. As soon as you deviate from the very few standard configurations that are offered, it's going to fall into that "custom" category. Although the build combinations aren't endless, there are enough that a deviation from those standard configurations means that your order has to be specifically assembled just for you.

you answered my question perfectly thank you!

trojansteel

Newly Enlightened
There's a bit of cheekiness in this post, but yes, I really did pick out this configuration based on what might be most useful in the aftermath of a nuclear war. I have a number of HDS lights and I needed some justification to purchase yet another.

In this post nuclear war scenario, have you considered using s solar charger for your rechargeables?

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to get an AA battery tube for my Rotary, but I still can't come to grips with the price.

kj2

Flashaholic
I would love to get an AA battery tube for my Rotary, but I still can't come to grips with the price.

Have a 18650 rotary in back-order at Just Conquer. Their price is lower than the dealer in France, because of the exchange rate. Do have to wait for awhile.. Henry hasn't shipped the order to them yet.

Eidolon

Newly Enlightened
I actually placed a custom order today and received a notification that it would be ready and ship within 2 weeks. I'm not sure that's standard practice or not but the production times may be significantly down from what I was expecting.

Clicky, 325 Lum with 2xAA tube. Similar to the one described above and my first HDS!

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hate to burst your bubble but just be patient. I ordered my first HDS in November and got the same email. I even emailed to confirm and was told it may take up to 4 weeks since it was a custom. Got my light in February. Yes it was worth the wait.

I do think things are moving faster at the moment though, but I wouldn't be surprised if that 2wk window comes and goes

fadon

Newly Enlightened
Have a 18650 rotary in back-order at Just Conquer. Their price is lower than the dealer in France, because of the exchange rate. Do have to wait for awhile.. Henry hasn't shipped the order to them yet.

How long have you been waiting for the back-order from Just Conquer? And did they give any expected date for them to get their orders from Henry and ship to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.