HDS Systems EDC # 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love to see the twisty come back. 
Isn't the Rotary essentially the next generation Twisty?

That said, one feature I'd love to see added to the Twisty would be a dial-only operation mode, like the discontinued Surefire T1A Titan, where you twist the dial to turn it on and adjust the brightness (fully counter-clockwise is off). Maybe two modes of operation: 1) access to all 24 levels; 2) access only to the 4 preset levels. Or here's a crazy thought: a Rotary without a button at all that is operated exclusively through the dial.

I'm just spit-balling here. I don't want to distract the boys from getting to work on a 1AA HDS light!

thermal guy

Flashaholic

That said, one feature I'd love to see added to the Twisty would be a dial-only operation mode, like the discontinued Surefire T1A Titan, where you twist the dial to turn it on and adjust the brightness (fully counter-clockwise is off). Maybe two modes of operation: 1) access to all 24 levels; 2) access only to the 4 preset levels. Or here's a crazy thought: a Rotary without a button at all that is operated exclusively through the dial.

I'm just spit-balling here. I don't want to distract the boys from getting to work on a 1AA HDS light!

Nope the rotary has a switch. One more thing that can go wrong. With a twist on/off it really becomes a bomb proof light not much can go wrong with it. . A twisty with a better interface would be great tho.

moltenmag

Enlightened
Nope the rotary has a switch. One more thing that can go wrong. With a twist on/off it really becomes a bomb proof light not much can go wrong with it. . A twisty with a better interface would be great tho.

I agree. All you would need to replace is the O rings. That's why I love my surefire LX2 so much. Bombproof.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Caving... yes. That is the roots. Im not very familiar with caving because there aren't any caves near my area. In the HDS product line there is the Tactical Rotary and the ability of the lights to be custom built with Infrared LEDs. I'm saying this because I think that you guys have the ability to heavily tap into the tactical (I really am tired of that word these days) community. The EDC Rotary Tactical is seriously innovative and quite frankly badass. I could envision the HDS Tactical models focusing more on throw (i.e. TIR optics). The HDS EDC models focus more on everyday (i.e. normal beam pattern and battery type). Then the headlamps would be for caving/construction. And the mini models would be for keychain EDC (i.e. flood beam and more compact).

One thing that I like about Benchmade Knife Company is the fact that their product line is segregated for different uses (Everyday Carry, Tactical, Outdoor...etc) I could see HDS doing the same thing (EDC, Caving, Tactical). Muyshondt also has a dynamic product line with lights ranging from micro-sized to 18650-sized. I'm sure you guys have talked about these things... I just like generating ideas... obviously... Glad to know that things are picking up the pace.

On another note, Hogo, have you ever thought about merging your Leather Company with HDS Systems? I feel like it could help both companies since HDS now offers holsters. You could potentially offer the same type of customizability with your holsters as you do with the HDS lights. I don't know if Henry would be for it, but it's another idea that might streamline both of your workflows.

I was a firearms instructor for my department and previously the HDS lights could not be used with a firearm... very well. It's how the Rotary Tactical got developed. I kept trying to beat into Henry (not a firearms enthusiast) that the light needs to simply be press on, release off. Anything else just won't work. This is, of course, quite contrary to the adjustability of the HDS lights. Out of a couple years of this, came the Rotary Tactical. If finally made it so that I could have just one light on my belt for work. The 6 click from off on the LE model (actually, all models will do this including the Rotary) puts the light into momentary only mode until the battery is removed for 1 minute (or press and keep holding the light on while removing the battery tube). This lets any light become something that can be used in a purely momentary manner i.e. "tactical". This was suggesting by a forum member and I'm sorry I forgot who.

I freakin' hate the word "tactical". Everyone uses it to sell to the mall ninjas and keyboard warriors. I'm mean seriously, they even have "tactical underwear" for crying out loud. Really? I would think tactical underwear should prevent bad smells from escaping when one silently drops a load in there after a particularly adrenaline rushing experience, keeping ones fellow officers from noticing, but no. That's not what it does.

My leather business is completely separate from HDS. I do make the holsters for HDS that Henry sells on the web site. The reality is, my leather business is purely custom work. HDS and 4 Sevens are the exception to the rule where several are made at the same time. Otherwise, I'm only in the leather shop when an order comes in, and it is always a custom made piece. I have no desire to turn my leather business into anything else. As an example, I was just making a knife sheath that can be taken apart and the inside cleaned of deer guts and blood for a hunter. That was his specification (along with other specs), and then I make it. My business focuses on making just what the customer wants (unless they want cheap crap, in which case, there is probably a Walmart close by), and sometimes takes some creative engineering to make it happen. Lot's of attention to detail, which is probably one of the reasons I'm now working at HDS. Our business models are essentially the same... make the best damn stuff possible. While I'm totally focused on listening to the customer, Henry is coming around nicely to this. It's taken awhile. Either way, neither one of us is going to change how we do things as far as quality and attention to detail.

Amen to that! Toolwatch + toollight.

NICE!

I'm thinking you have bugged HDS Systems. I'm going to do a sweep for bugs later this week. If I don't find bugs, I'm going to fashion myself a tin-foil hat!

I agree. All you would need to replace is the O rings. That's why I love my surefire LX2 so much. Bombproof.

Except the electronics for that are made in China, and they are not potted. Don't drop it too far.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Yes, but at least the LX2 has a fairly usable pocket clip. :)

Maybe once my Rotary finally gets a refined pocket clip I can begin carrying one of my favorite lights regularly.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 6 click from off on the LE model (actually, all models will do this including the Rotary) puts the light into momentary only mode until the battery is removed for 1 minute (or press and keep holding the light on while removing the battery tube). This lets any light become something that can be used in a purely momentary manner i.e. "tactical".
Mine (170N Clicky: five clicks for candlelight) doesn't do that. Is there something in the Menu I have to toggle?
Thanks.
P

JKolmo

Enlightened
Nice JKolmo. I will have the Rolex one day. Great pair. Now all you need is a LWS Seecamp .32 pistol and you've got yourself a badass carry...

Yeah thanks! This is really the ultimate tool watch and light combo. Many people think Rolex is a bling show off thing only. Well it's not. This particular Rolex is an Explorer, a model dating back to 1953. Made as a homage to the Hillary Norgay 1953 Everest summit expedition. It has been more or less unchanged since its introduction. It is made to be a super durable, reliable and robust no nonsense tool watch. No gimmick complications, no date, no chrono, just plain time here and now. Kind of like an HDS flashlight IMO.

This watch is from 2009 with the Rolex engraved rehaut. The HDS doesn't need much presentation in this thread, but it is a hogo special run 3 o clock high with a diffuse reflector.

c3a70cdcd412dc62d9cd9db11430689a.jpg

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was a firearms instructor for my department and previously the HDS lights could not be used with a firearm... very well. It's how the Rotary Tactical got developed. I kept trying to beat into Henry (not a firearms enthusiast) that the light needs to simply be press on, release off. Anything else just won't work. This is, of course, quite contrary to the adjustability of the HDS lights. Out of a couple years of this, came the Rotary Tactical. If finally made it so that I could have just one light on my belt for work. The 6 click from off on the LE model (actually, all models will do this including the Rotary) puts the light into momentary only mode until the battery is removed for 1 minute (or press and keep holding the light on while removing the battery tube). This lets any light become something that can be used in a purely momentary manner i.e. "tactical". This was suggesting by a forum member and I'm sorry I forgot who.

I freakin' hate the word "tactical". Everyone uses it to sell to the mall ninjas and keyboard warriors. I'm mean seriously, they even have "tactical underwear" for crying out loud. Really? I would think tactical underwear should prevent bad smells from escaping when one silently drops a load in there after a particularly adrenaline rushing experience, keeping ones fellow officers from noticing, but no. That's not what it does.

My leather business is completely separate from HDS. I do make the holsters for HDS that Henry sells on the web site. The reality is, my leather business is purely custom work. HDS and 4 Sevens are the exception to the rule where several are made at the same time. Otherwise, I'm only in the leather shop when an order comes in, and it is always a custom made piece. I have no desire to turn my leather business into anything else. As an example, I was just making a knife sheath that can be taken apart and the inside cleaned of deer guts and blood for a hunter. That was his specification (along with other specs), and then I make it. My business focuses on making just what the customer wants (unless they want cheap crap, in which case, there is probably a Walmart close by), and sometimes takes some creative engineering to make it happen. Lot's of attention to detail, which is probably one of the reasons I'm now working at HDS. Our business models are essentially the same... make the best damn stuff possible. While I'm totally focused on listening to the customer, Henry is coming around nicely to this. It's taken awhile. Either way, neither one of us is going to change how we do things as far as quality and attention to detail.

NICE!

I'm thinking you have bugged HDS Systems. I'm going to do a sweep for bugs later this week. If I don't find bugs, I'm going to fashion myself a tin-foil hat!

Except the electronics for that are made in China, and they are not potted. Don't drop it too far.

Their electronics are conformal coated which offers most of the same benefits of potting.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah thanks! This is really the ultimate tool watch and light combo. Many people think Rolex is a bling show off thing only. Well it's not. This particular Rolex is an Explorer, a model dating back to 1953. Made as a homage to the Hillary Norgay 1953 Everest summit expedition. It has been more or less unchanged since its introduction. It is made to be a super durable, reliable and robust no nonsense tool watch. No gimmick complications, no date, no chrono, just plain time here and now. Kind of like an HDS flashlight IMO.

This watch is from 2009 with the Rolex engraved rehaut. The HDS doesn't need much presentation in this thread, but it is a hogo special run 3 o clock high with a diffuse reflector.

Nice combo:thumbsup:. Now you just need a nice EDC knife to add to the kit:D.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine (170N Clicky: five clicks for candlelight) doesn't do that. Is there something in the Menu I have to toggle?
Thanks.
P

You have software version 2.10 that was released December 2013. 6 clicks from off is in software version 2.16 that was released in May 2015.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Their electronics are conformal coated which offers most of the same benefits of potting.

Conformal coating protects against corrosion, moisture, and chemicals, but adds little for shock like potting does. It's better than nothing. While being "most" of the same benefits, the big one is lacking, that of being shock resistance... it doesn't compare.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Conformal coating protects against corrosion, moisture, and chemicals, but adds little for shock like potting does. It's better than nothing. While being "most" of the same benefits, the big one is lacking, that of being shock resistance... it doesn't compare.
That is not entirely true. Conformal coating seals all components and solder joints and holds them in place during shock and vibration helping to prevent damage. If the MCPCB is not securely held down potting definitely adds an extra layer of protection but, as long as it is, potting only adds a little more protection over conformal coating when it comes to shock and vibration due to its often increased thickness. It should be noted that Potting has some downsides as well like increased weight, increased production costs, and if an epoxy based product is used it completely prevents any modifications, maintenance, or repairs down the line. Epoxy based potting can also cause added stress on electrical components during heat cycling(this can be somewhat mitigated by using a silicone based product however). A thermally conductive potting compound does add the benefit of increasing thermal efficiency by allowing more heat from the MCPCB to transfer to the body then the single layer of thermal paste often used on conformal coated MCPCBs though.

While I am not arguing that HDS lights are a step up in build quality and durability over Surefire and are definitely a more honorable company imo, I think it is important to note that Surefire lights have been battle proven for over 30 years and shown to be plenty tough. They were also being made and bolted on LEO's, Government Agent's, and Military personnel's firearms before HDS, Ra, and Novatac even existed. Many of the designs and innovations in the handheld and WML industries were invented by them and they still make some great lights.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would just like to add that I am not trying to say that Surefire lights are as tough as HDS Systems lights because I don't think they are. But, your comment Hogo, made it sound like Surefire lights lack durability and are easily damaged and that is just not the case. They still make some of the highest quality and toughest lights on the market even if they are a notch below companies like HDS, Elzetta, and Malkoff.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you guys have had my head bugged, because those are just some ideas I've had kicking around in my gray matter for a couple of years.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, how does the HDS decorative clip compare to the Dark Sucks clip? Is the decorative clip hard to clip on as it appears to not have much of a bend up(lip) at the end?

Also, is the Oveready clip still available anywhere? Thanks.

moltenmag

Enlightened

Nice! I love the Rolex Explorer 1 for its simplicity. I am one that doesn't like dates on my watches. I am very picky about it. If I had to choose a Rolex right now, it would be between the Submariner 114060 and the Explorer 1 114270. If I had one of those, it would match my special run HDS 5700k High Noon perfectly!

moltenmag

Enlightened
Yes, but at least the LX2 has a fairly usable pocket clip. :)

Maybe once my Rotary finally gets a refined pocket clip I can begin carrying one of my favorite lights regularly.

I think Hogo is going to need some ice for that burn... haha love the 2 way clip on my LX2.

I carry my rotary bezel up with the stock washer clip. The clip rides between the bezel and the reflector. It's extremely secure. Have you tried that carrot? (great username by the way lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.